Battery / charging issues
MattP123614
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ive seen this problem on other forums mentioned from almost year ago (on other HTC phones) to as recently as a few weeks ago with no fixes. Rather than join a half dozen new forums i figured i will post here.

using the wall charger that came with my phone, i plug my thunderbolt in overnight while the phone is on and the orange charge indicator comes on as it should. in the morning, the green charge complete light is on and the battery icon shows it is full and no longer charging.

now the problem is, once i unplug it, the battery icon drops either instantly or within a minute, sometimes its about 3/4, sometimes half, and on a few instances it went straight to yellow, and on one instance the battery was completely dead, wouldnt turn on at all, even while still plugged in and green light on.i suspect this might have something to do with the random sut downs i was expreiencing back in may, and even after the update early this july.

I have noticed that even once the green charge complete light comes on, i can immediately plug it back in and the orange charging light will come on for anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour. then the green charge complete light comes back on, and once again i can unplug it, plug it back in and it will accept a charge a few more times for another 15 minutes or so without me using the phone.

i dont see what ungodly comnination of apps running in the background would cause the phone to lose 15 minutes worth of charging time during the few seconds it is off the charger. i have read that the phone supposedly stops charging the battery once it is full. but why would it give up when there is still another hour or two of battery space to be charged?

0 Likes
Re: Battery / charging issues
Wildman
Legend

The best way to charge the device is off because a number of new devices are set to stop charging when it reads full byr rhe issue is that if the device is on the device starts draining the battery and the charger does not always start charging the device when the battery drained down..

0 Likes
MattP123614
Enthusiast - Level 2

i dont want to miss calls while i sleep. you never know when an emergency will come up in the middle of the night and somebody needs to get a hold of you or you cant afford to wait 2 minutes for the phone to boot up to dial 911. or if you want to use your phone as an alarm clock...

as far as i'm concerned, the whole "stop charging once it reaches 100% and dont charge it again even when it gets down to 50%" feature, if you want to call it that, is rediculous. if a person puts the phone on charge before going to sleep for 8 hours, and the phone takes 3 hours to reach 100% then stops charging, thats 5 wasted hours on standby.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I understand and agree, I learned that some after market chargers do not experiance this issue and pickup when charging is need,,,  Maybe you can try another charger if you have one and see if this resolves the issue.

0 Likes
MattP123614
Enthusiast - Level 2

what type of charger did you have luck with? i keep an extra one at the girlfriends place, just in case. it was a semi-universal one that came with 3 different connectors.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I actually have a universal usb charger that I purchase with a set from Radio Shack that I bought some while back the supports charging and device that uses a usb pc power cord..

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Photos/Forum%20Images/screenshot-1316891612508.png?w=15de1aa5

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I use the Verizon model BGT1000. It is a standard wall charger, not a USB. It's more expensive than some of the less expensive chargers you can get, but it does an excellent job of charging my phone and I feel it was worth it. With smartphones like the TBolt, the important thing is to make sure you have a charger that has a 1.0 Amp output for the maximum charging efficiency. This also applies to your car charger.

Here is a link to some excellent information that may explain what you're experiencing and also an explanation of bump charging and that may be something you can try that might help.

Your battery gauge is lying to you (and it's not such a bad thing)

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
Sorry forget to make image public before posting... Here's the image.. http://db.tt/36fQttEq
0 Likes