CLNR Thunderbolt serial mismatch
kennedmh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on my third CLNR Thunderbolt (first one wouldn't hold a data signal other than 1x and the second one had a non working microphone).  I was just poking around in the settings menu and I noticed something funny. 

The serial number reported by Settings -> About Phone -> Phone Identity and the serial number printed on the sticker under the battery don't match.  The one the phone is reporting starts with "MB" while the one under the sticker starts with "HT".  The numbers afterward are completely different too. 

The phone seems to work fine but differing serial numbers seems a bit fishy to me.  Does anyone know a reasonable explanation for this?

0 Likes
Re: CLNR Thunderbolt serial mismatch
BakerGeckos
Contributor - Level 3

May not be resonable but one unit may have had a cracked case and another a fried board and they used the parts to make 1 good one....It's possible but Not sure if thats reasonable....

Mike

0 Likes
Re: CLNR Thunderbolt serial mismatch
kennedmh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe, BakerGeckos.But if that were the case, shouldn't that change the internally reported serial too?  I guess I assumed the serial numbers are flashed onto a rom chip of some sort on the phone's main board.  If the board was replaced then the rom chip would have gone with it right?  The MEID number the phone reports is the same as the IMEI number on the sticker with the exception of an extra trailing digit in the IMEI number.  So if the sticker and the system board were frankenstiened together, why change the MEID and not the serial?

0 Likes