Can no longer mount as disk
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

For the first time since my Thunderbolt updated to 4.0.4 earlier this year I tried to USB connect my phone to my Mac. The battery icon shows I'm connected, but I do not get the USB symbol in the message bar and the phone does not show up in Finder. I tried the same think with a PC and got the same (non) result.  Is this a known issue with the ICS update on this phone? Before I create work for myself by doing a factory reset, will that even maybe possibly solve the problem? 

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can no longer mount as disk
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

The answer from HTC:

Thank you for contacting the HTC Technical Support Center.

Most of the devices over the world used to have the Massive Storage USB protocol that allows the user to connect devices using it as a disk drive. It has changed as it caused security and compatibility problems. Now, the current USB protocol for devices that support media files is the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). This is the latest USB protocol enhanced on most of the devices to easily share media files saving time, improving the user’s security and protecting the media files.

The disk drive mode has been disabled as the new protocol requires that the other device will be under the same protocol standards and the usage of software that facilitate the sharing process. We sincerely apologize if this matter affects your experience with your device and sincerely expect your understanding on this matter.

Our suggestion is to use the HTC Sync or HTC Sync Manager available athttp://www.htc.com/us/support/ depending on your phone model. If you are unable to use the HTC Sync or HTC Sync manager please let us know. We will be working hard to provide you with the best possible solution for this situation. Please contact us through http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ or call us at+1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM ET, 7 days a week if further assistance is required in the near future.

At least I wasn't imagining things.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Are_You_Kidding_Me,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your device. I have not seen any issues related to USB connection and the ICS update for this device. When you connect it to the source, are you able to pull down the top bar and see and connection options? It may be you are under charge only currently and would not display any other options. I would say that as long as your information is backed up that you can check with doing a full reset, but first make sure to see if it is set up under charge only. Please keep us updated and we can check other options.

Thank you,

TonyG_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

There is nothing in the message bar when I pull it down. Under settings I have two selections: what is the default connection state and should I be asked each time. I set default to disk and ask me. The connection is always "charge" and it never asks me. So there us a disconnectliterally between system settings and system execution.

Sent from Ken's mobile phone

0 Likes
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I reset the phone. Status quo maintained.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Does the Mac read the card if it is in a separate card reader?

Also try this. http://m.androidcentral.com/android-101-android-file-transfer-app-mac

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

The Micro SD is read fine in an external reader. That’s the only way I now have to up (down) load stuff.

I installed the Android Transfer app. It does not see the phone, which is not surprising given that there is no indication on the phone that a USB connection has been established.

I tried different cables and different ports, all with the same disappointing result. I took the card out and plugged the phone in. Still no USB icon at the top. Guess I should consider myself lucky that USB charging also wasn’t obliterated.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thanks for trying so hard to get your phone to be recognized by your computer. I wanted to clarify something real quick. Make sure that you have the memory card in your phone while it's connected to your computer (showing as if it's charging) when you try to pull down the notification bar. Otherwise you won't see the options like Charge Only or Disk Drive. We want to make sure it shows Disk Drive so you can transfer files straight from your phone instead of using a card reader.

Also, I see you mentioned using a few different cables. Are any of them the original cable that came with your Thunberbolt? Using cables that aren't from HTC can sometimes cause certain functions to not perform properly.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, the card is in the phone. The phone itself sees the card, finds ringtones for example.

I do not know if either cable I used is the original htc one. Neither one has any type of htc marking on it. I do know that the cable I keep plugged in the Mac worked with the phone before the ICS upgrade. I've got a couple more with the same plug. I'll see if one of them might be the real McCoy.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Are_You_Kidding_Me,

Thanks for trying all the steps we provided. I can understand how frustrating this whole situation must be for you.

You mentioned that you already performed the hard reset and nothing changed. I researched this and did not find it to be a reported known issue with the device after the software update. Have you contacted the device manufacturer? They may have additional steps to help with this issues. You can contact them at 866-963-0953.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Are_You_Kidding_Me
Enthusiast - Level 2

The answer from HTC:

Thank you for contacting the HTC Technical Support Center.

Most of the devices over the world used to have the Massive Storage USB protocol that allows the user to connect devices using it as a disk drive. It has changed as it caused security and compatibility problems. Now, the current USB protocol for devices that support media files is the MTP (Media Transfer Protocol). This is the latest USB protocol enhanced on most of the devices to easily share media files saving time, improving the user’s security and protecting the media files.

The disk drive mode has been disabled as the new protocol requires that the other device will be under the same protocol standards and the usage of software that facilitate the sharing process. We sincerely apologize if this matter affects your experience with your device and sincerely expect your understanding on this matter.

Our suggestion is to use the HTC Sync or HTC Sync Manager available athttp://www.htc.com/us/support/ depending on your phone model. If you are unable to use the HTC Sync or HTC Sync manager please let us know. We will be working hard to provide you with the best possible solution for this situation. Please contact us through http://www.htc.com/www/contact/email/ or call us at+1-866-449-8358 from 8AM to 1AM ET, 7 days a week if further assistance is required in the near future.

At least I wasn't imagining things.

0 Likes