Can not get Text-to-Speech to work
posted11

I can not get Text-to-Speech to work. In "Settings", I can go into "Voice input & output", then to "Voice Output; Text-to-speech settings" and then to "Install voice data; Install the voice data required for speech synthesis" but it is "grayed out". I have downloaded Pico TTS several times and I have soft-reset and hard-reset the device several times. Still no text-to-speech

Any thoughts on what I can do to get text to speech to work?

0 Likes
Re: Can not get Text-to-Speech to work
21stNow
Master - Level 1

It may help if we knew exactly what you are trying to do.  Were you responding to a prompt in the Navigation app?  Are you looking to make the Accessibility options work?  Are you trying to get talking caller ID?  Please give more information.

Also, when you click on Pico TTS, are the languages grayed out, as well?  This leads me to believe that you have downloaded everything that you need and maybe the app isn't working as you would like.  Like I said, let us know.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Strange Pico TTS came preinstalled on my Tbolt. I know I never had to go to the market and install it. Have you checked the default engine options? Perhaps now because you did install an engine, there are two engine options. (I only have the one.) The sample plays correctly for me.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
posted11

I am trying to get it to read text messages through my bluetooth. My old HTC Ozone (YUCK!) did it with my current Bluetooth but my T-bolt does not. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Likes
posted11

Forgot to answer the second half of your question... Yes, the languages are grayed out as well.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

The Vlingo app reads text messages through my Bluetooth device.  Also, if you have the Car Home app, I believe that will read text messages through Bluetooth, as well, but I could be wrong about this one.

0 Likes
posted11

Thank you!

0 Likes
posted11

Odd.... I tried both Vlingo and Handcent and neither of those did Text to speech either. Very odd. I am using same Bluetooth headset that worked on my other HTC device.

Any other thoughts?

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

posted11 wrote:

Odd.... I tried both Vlingo and Handcent and neither of those did Text to speech either. Very odd. I am using same Bluetooth headset that worked on my other HTC device.

Any other thoughts?

Did you activate InCar in Vlingo?  I just checked this and it works for me.  Once you activate InCar, you should hear "Vlingo InCar".

If Vlingo InCar doesn't work for you, have you considered getting another Bluetooth headset that has the ability to read texts to you, like the Blueant Q2?

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Great suggestions from the community! Posted11, please let me know if you still need help with this matter. You can post here or send me a personal message. Thank you!

0 Likes