Can't use the internet unless I'm on wifi. How do I use my data when not on wifi?
Emmeffsee
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have no issues getting on facebook, google, etc when I'm connected to a wifi network, but when I'm out and about, I can't get anything to open at all. I have no issues sending and receiving texts and calls, I just can't get on the web. HELP!

Re: Can't use the internet unless I'm on wifi. How do I use my data when not on wifi?
Rocke

Try Settings: Wireless and Networks: Mobile Network.  Check the box so it will use the data connection when
Wi-Fi is unavailable.

0 Likes
Re: Can't use the internet unless I'm on wifi. How do I use my data when not on wifi?
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Since you didn't say how long you've had your phone, or if you were able to connect before, I'm going to risk insulting you. Have you checked in settings/Wireless & networks to make sure Mobile network is turned on? You can get there faster by pulling down the info bar and clicking on Quick Settings. If that is checked and on, check to see if you have a 3G, or 4G icon in the info bar. Some areas have been having outages.

0 Likes
klorett
Enthusiast - Level 1

has anyone had the problem of not getting a signal at all -- no phone text or email?  My bill is current and I am at a loss.  I can't even call anyone to find out what the problem is.  Verizon needs a chat line with tech support.

pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Last week, I was tethered to my laptop and suddenly lost all service. The 3G/4G disappeared and all I had was an X where the 5 service bars are. I tried everything and finally had to do a factory reset. Before you do that, try this. On your phone's keypad, dial

*#*#4636#*#*. Then tap Phone information. Scroll down to Set preferred network type and see what the setting is. If it is on WCDMA preferred, change it to CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto, or if you are in a 3G only area, pick CDMA auto (PRL). Some phones are occasionally having this problem with the network connection getting changed to one that is not Verizon's.

If that doesn't work, you may need to try a factory reset which is what Verizon is going to tell you to do.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Emmeffsee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mobile network is on, tried soft reset, no luck. Is the next step a factory reset? And how do I do that? I've had the phone about 2 weeks, the mobile network has never worked.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Have you had it for 14 days? If it's within 14 days, you can take it back and get a new one. After 14 days, you either have to keep it, or get a certified like new (refurbished) replacement.  If it hasn't worked since you got it and you've had it less than 14 days, I'd take it back and either let Verizon get it working, or give you a new one. It might only need a new SIM card, but if it's under 14 days, don't waste much time trying to fix it yourself.

Now, as to how to do the factory reset, go to Menu/Settings/SD & phone storage/Factory data reset at the bottom. Be aware that when you do it, it wipes out all of your settings and apps and takes it back to the way it was out of the box. You can always replace all of your apps from the Android Market by logging in and clicking on My Library at the top and apps. That will show you all of the apps you've purchased and downloaded. You can do the same at Amazon by clicking on Your Digital Items, then Your Apps and Devices under Amazon App Store For Android.

Before doing the reset, I'd go to Menu/Settings/Backup Assistant/Google/Sync now to make sure your contacts, Gmail, Calendar and other Google items are backed up. You can also go to Menu/Settings/Privacy and click on Back up my settings and Automatic restore which sometimes will restore most of your apps and settings. Sometimes it has worked fine for me and other times not a well. I use MyBackup from the market and do a complete backup of everything before I do a factory reset. You can have it back up everything to your external SD card. A factory reset, will wipe your phone's memory, but when you open Factory data reset, it will give you the option to check Erase all data, or Erase SD card. Leaving those unchecked will preserve your music, pictures and any data on the external card.

Sorry if I told you things you already knew, or more than you needed. Good luck.

0 Likes
Emmeffsee
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, thanks, thats good info. I'm backing up now, then I guess its off to Verizon. I'll post results...

0 Likes
Emmeffsee
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, I went to Verizon, the tech tried a few things, called tech support who said to try replacing the sim card before doing a hard reset. That's what did it. Works fine now. PS. I guess the phone wasn't recognizing the SD card either, even though I Have like 500 songs on the card. Fixed that too by removing and reinstalling the card.

0 Likes
sullee53
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are not the only one with connection issues. Anyone with Verizonwireless in Florida has had no connectivity unless connected to a wi fi network since late last week. No answers from Verizon. They act like its you phone at issue. What is the chance of 12 different phones having the same problem. Wish they would just give straight answers when you call them.