Charge Phone While Off or On
marvinh
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello - I usually shut down my phone to charge.   Shut down about 11pm, charge overnight,  and wake up next morning and power the phone back up. 

I find the battery takes a deeper charge if it is not also powering the phone (in standby) while it is charging.  Also shutting down the phone clears the temp files, etc and starts fresh each day. 

How many people shut down overnight to charge?

0 Likes
Re: Charge Phone While Off or On
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I usually only shutdown my phone every week or so.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Lloyd1931

I charge my phone overnight, but keep it on b/c it functions as my alarm clock. I use PowerAMP player at work, so I give it a boost charge there as well.

0 Likes
Dnakaman
Contributor - Level 1

marvinh wrote:

Hello - I usually shut down my phone to charge.   Shut down about 11pm, charge overnight,  and wake up next morning and power the phone back up. 

I find the battery takes a deeper charge if it is not also powering the phone (in standby) while it is charging.  Also shutting down the phone clears the temp files, etc and starts fresh each day. 

How many people shut down overnight to charge?

Whether your phone is off or on, a 100% charged battery is a 100% charged battery.  It will not be a "deeper" charge.  Only difference is that it may take a bit longer to fully charge with your phone on than off, but it should be negligible unless you have some process eating up the cpu.

Actually, if you shutdown the phone complete and then turn it back on, you are using more power just to power the phone back up than leaving it on.  So if you think about it, you will actually get less time on your phone because you will lose the 1-4% of battery power just bringing the phone back to life.

At least that is my take on it.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Powering off and charging seems to keep it closer to 100%.  When it's on and charging, it'll get to 100% stop charging until it drops to about 95% and then charge again so you could technically have charged your phone all night and still have as low as 95% when you take it off.  You can also let it charge overnight with it on and then restart the phone in the morning and let it charge until it gets the green light again which take ~30min.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i do what pjnc mentioned. i've seen it refered to as a "bump charge." when i get to my office i will charge it (while on). when it goes green, i power down and plug it back in and it will be orange for another 20-30 minutes. i get GREAT battery life and this also ensures that the phone is powered down daily, which seems to keep it running VERY smooth.

0 Likes
dragon68
AZ....I had read about your " bump charge" in a previous post. Tried it and found a bit of improvement. And I use my phone for everything.
0 Likes