Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
Filosophic1
Member

Turning off 4G does not solve the rebooting issue.  I don't have 4G in my area, and have my phone set to CDMA auto (prl)  I am always in 3g only, and my phone reboots on average 8 - 10 times a day.

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
vereyezuhn
Sr. Member

MattP123614 wrote:

vereyezuhn wrote:
You say to wait a week for usual issues to pop up... Is that what happens with yours each time? If so, that is definitely an app doing this. I read in your previous post that you download only the Google and Adobe apps, try not downloading ANY. I know on my DX, the stock email app that came with the phone slowed it down and messed it up pretty bad, so I stopped using it.


all this business about not downloading any apps is **bleep**. thats the whole point of a smart phone. its like buying a sports car but being forbidden to take it past 40mph. a smart phone without apps is a waste, therefore it is unacceptable.



I'm not even going to begin tearing apart your analogy there, so weak it is.

 

So tell me, when you get a computer and have internet... You expect to be able to go to EVERY SINGLE website ever made that is possibly out there that you could find? No, because you KNOW that some have viruses. You also know that not EVERY website has viruses (frankly, it's quite easy to tell which do - the same goes for apps) Therefore, you would still use your computer and go to SOME websites that you know are safe. Now, if you learn the hard way which websites have viruses and which don't, that doesn't matter. The fact is, in the end, you keep your computer virus free, yet are still able to use it.

 

The same goes for smartphones (Android in particular - Apple I guess doesn't have to worry about this) There are apps in the Market that are "bad" so to speak - and you can usually tell these by what they access on your phone, how much memory, etc. Because, guess what? ANYONE can make an app for Android and put it on the market. Hackers, hijackers, virus pros, 13 year olds, 80 year olds, everyone. The point isn't to not use ANY apps in fear that some may corrupt your smartphone. The point is to add them one-by-one until you find the one (or more) that ARE the "bad" ones, and not use those. Exactly like websites and viruses.

 

Or you can go the easy route and just put an anti-virus app on your phone before doing any of that.

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
MattP123614
Member

vereyezuhn wrote:

MattP123614 wrote:

vereyezuhn wrote:
You say to wait a week for usual issues to pop up... Is that what happens with yours each time? If so, that is definitely an app doing this. I read in your previous post that you download only the Google and Adobe apps, try not downloading ANY. I know on my DX, the stock email app that came with the phone slowed it down and messed it up pretty bad, so I stopped using it.


all this business about not downloading any apps is **bleep**. thats the whole point of a smart phone. its like buying a sports car but being forbidden to take it past 40mph. a smart phone without apps is a waste, therefore it is unacceptable.



I'm not even going to begin tearing apart your analogy there, so weak it is.

 

So tell me, when you get a computer and have internet... You expect to be able to go to EVERY SINGLE website ever made that is possibly out there that you could find? No, because you KNOW that some have viruses. You also know that not EVERY website has viruses (frankly, it's quite easy to tell which do - the same goes for apps) Therefore, you would still use your computer and go to SOME websites that you know are safe. Now, if you learn the hard way which websites have viruses and which don't, that doesn't matter. The fact is, in the end, you keep your computer virus free, yet are still able to use it.

 

The same goes for smartphones (Android in particular - Apple I guess doesn't have to worry about this) There are apps in the Market that are "bad" so to speak - and you can usually tell these by what they access on your phone, how much memory, etc. Because, guess what? ANYONE can make an app for Android and put it on the market. Hackers, hijackers, virus pros, 13 year olds, 80 year olds, everyone. The point isn't to not use ANY apps in fear that some may corrupt your smartphone. The point is to add them one-by-one until you find the one (or more) that ARE the "bad" ones, and not use those. Exactly like websites and viruses.

 

Or you can go the easy route and just put an anti-virus app on your phone before doing any of that.


no, your interpretation of my analogy is weak. i said not taking a sports car past 40 is a pointless waste (aka basic transportation and nowhere near its potential). a smartphone without apps isnt much more than your basic flip phone you get free with a contract (your smartphone would be a basic phone and nowhere near its full potential). i didnt say "not driving a sports car in blizards and off road and at 130 on freeways or in any wreckless way without any regard for human life and property is a waste because you might be able to get away with it". likewise im not saying you need to download every or any app without regard to reviews or what it allows access to on your phone. i at no point suggested abusing your sports car or your smart phone.

 

my whole point is that customer support telling you to get rid of apps is a weak way of saying "the issues after an update is not our fault, you probably downloaded a bad app"

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
TBhouston
Sr. Member

the hotspot is known issue on the charge, i can't beleive they replaced it lol

 

 

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
TBhouston
Sr. Member

"my whole point is that customer support telling you to get rid of apps is a weak way of saying "the issues after an update is not our fault, you probably downloaded a bad app"

 

thing is a lot of apps aren't supported yet for devices people have. And yet people download those apps. Phones are like computers, you have to clear data out from time to time. Open source means it is open to any guy with 12 hours under his belt of reading the internet that wants to make a cool app. he has no idea what power drains he program in, he has no idea how it interacts with other programs

 

I would say it is far more open unaware end users that mess up their own devices

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
vereyezuhn
Sr. Member

TBhouston wrote:

"my whole point is that customer support telling you to get rid of apps is a weak way of saying "the issues after an update is not our fault, you probably downloaded a bad app"

 

thing is a lot of apps aren't supported yet for devices people have. And yet people download those apps. Phones are like computers, you have to clear data out from time to time. Open source means it is open to any guy with 12 hours under his belt of reading the internet that wants to make a cool app. he has no idea what power drains he program in, he has no idea how it interacts with other programs

 

I would say it is far more open unaware end users that mess up their own devices



Exactly... It seems not many people understand this or how their smartphone works and are just looking for anyone else to blame but themselves. Oh well, not our problem I suppose. My phone runs perfectly :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
Zandermill
Member

I find it funny that people complain that it's Verizon's fault, when the warranty on devices is from the manufacturers, Verizon just plays middle man for them.

I bet a lot of people would sing a different tune if phone carriers stopped playing middle man for devices, and had customers go directly to the manufacturers for their device problems.

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
ninfanintn
Member

I bought the TB on April 4th and have loved it.  After putting the "Software Update" on it around May 15th, It was rebooting by itself, so I contacted tech support about a week later.  The guy told me to remove the battery before turning the phone off and then put it back in and restart the phone.  He spent little time helping with the TB, but was really interested in me trying to get two other phones upgraded while i was on the phone with him then.  Now the phone was shutting off and not restarting.

 

Just got off the phone with a nice Tech support guy who said that the people who are having the "phone shutoff" problem should call and "log" their phone so that they know which ones are having the problem.  They definetly know about the problem and want to know all the phones that have the problem.

 

I live and work in a 3G area, and my phone has only ever went to 4G when driving through Nashville.  3G/4G is not the problem.

 

When on the phone today with the tech guy he did ask me if I had gotten into any of the hidden menus to turn off the 4G service, and i said no.

 

Who ever is having this problem needs to call and let them know your phone is having this problem.

 

 

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
GreenRobot
Novice

TBhouston wrote:

the hotspot is known issue on the charge, i can't beleive they replaced it lol

 

 


The tech support rep called back later to tell me he found out it was a known issue and asked me to simply deny the package and have it returned. I also found a couple quick temporary solutions to the hotspot not working on the VZW Charge forum so thats ok for now. Overall I am satisfied with the Charge over the Thunderbolt, my only gripes are that it's not compatible with my cars bluetooth and I still have connections issues sometimes but it recovers from connection issues way better than the T-bolt so I haven't even bothered to call tech support on it. 

 

Oh and I'm running all the apps I had on my T-bolt plus some. I haven't read any permissions, spaced out my downloads, or given second thought to the apps I have been downloading and guess what? No crazy reboots or strange issues. Apps causing the issue pissshh not if the hardware can handle it.  

0 Likes
Re: Do not let tech support replace your Thunderbolt.
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

i'm glad the charge is working out better for you.....but apps can cause issues. and the problem with downloading a bunch in one day is that if (or when) your phone starts acting up, you will have no idea which app caused it. 

0 Likes