Face turning on Speaker during call, unable to turn it off
adarnold542

Is anyone else having this problem?  It got worse after the update, but quite often, my face is turning on the speaker (despite the fact that after I put it up to my ear, the screen should be black and unable to do this).

When I go to turn it off, when I hold it normally in my hand, the screen then goes black (basically backwards from what it is supposed to do... instead of ear-black hand-not, it's hand-black, ear-not).  Sometimes though it will just freeze and I will be completely unable to push any button in an attempt to turn the speaker off.

This problem is getting very annoying... is there a fix coming down the pipe?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Face turning on Speaker during call, unable to turn it off
Wildman
Legend

What they are asking if when you place it to your face are you making sure you are placing phone against your face to make sure you are coving the sensor located next to the mic, this is what tells phone you have it to your gace and power off screen, if you hold it wrong it wont power off screen like designed..

Test the sensot by making a call and place finger over lift area next to notificarion light and see if the screen turns off when covered and on when not, this should be automatic....  If this doesnt work then I would say you have a bad proximeter sensor and you need to contact CS...

One more thing to check is the Settings / Audio / Flip for Speaker option, maybe try turning this off by unchecking this option.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2
Are you holding the phone near the top of the screen where a finger could be covering the proximity sensor?
0 Likes
adarnold542

Nope... I'm holding it normally in the palm of my hand.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

What they are asking if when you place it to your face are you making sure you are placing phone against your face to make sure you are coving the sensor located next to the mic, this is what tells phone you have it to your gace and power off screen, if you hold it wrong it wont power off screen like designed..

Test the sensot by making a call and place finger over lift area next to notificarion light and see if the screen turns off when covered and on when not, this should be automatic....  If this doesnt work then I would say you have a bad proximeter sensor and you need to contact CS...

One more thing to check is the Settings / Audio / Flip for Speaker option, maybe try turning this off by unchecking this option.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

are you female or do you have longer hair around your ear. i've seen hair interfere with the sensor, causing problems with the screen coming on and off. some people have fixed the issue by simply making sure no hair is between them an the phone (pull hair behind you ear or something).

0 Likes
adarnold542

I'm not female... and in fact I have very short hair... and I do hold it very close to my face, since my face actually presses the screen and turns the speaker on.

FWIW this only happened once before the last update, and now it happens with almost every call after the update.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

If you had it happen before the update I would say the update isnt the issue, did you test the sensor like I reported and what happened?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Adarnold542, thanks for your inquiry and thanks to everyone for responding! I agree with Wildman that you should try testing the sensitivity of the proximity sensor by making a call (possibly to voicemail so no one answers) and placing your finger over the sensor near the earpiece so you can tell if the screen goes black at all. If you have a case or screen protector, make sure those are not in the way. Another thing I have seen help is to clean the earpiece with a can of compressed air. It could possibly be build up around the sensor. 

0 Likes
sledfreak76

I have the same problem,!!!  speaker comes on and bout blows my ear off!!!  canot find button to disable it!!  this phone is about to hit the garbage can. what a piece of **bleep**!!   Thanks verizon for a pile of crap, nothing but problems from day one!!  shuts off, reboots, now the peaker problem!!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

sledfreak76 wrote:

I have the same problem,!!!  speaker comes on and bout blows my ear off!!!  canot find button to disable it!!  this phone is about to hit the garbage can. what a piece of **bleep**!!   Thanks verizon for a pile of crap, nothing but problems from day one!!  shuts off, reboots, now the peaker problem!!

Gotta watch for those PEAKER problems. They will get you when you least expect it every time

0 Likes