Re: Faint ringing HTC One
rtpbiker

Macri - Thanks for the info and that's awesome.  I'll implement the fix on my HTC One and wife's Droid DNA.  It never occurred to me until you mentioned it, but is the faint ringing the sound that occurs when the "Data roaming sound" option is checkmarked and the phone connects to a roaming network?

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

I honestly don't know if the data roaming sound is the one we are hearing. My phone wasn't even allowing for data roaming, but I did have the sound box checked. Hopefully this works.

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have had the roaming sound disabled and that didn't prevent the ringing. However, I did not have my settings to allow access for all trips. I'll try that and see if it helps.

0 Likes
rtpbiker

On my phone the "Deny data roaming access" was selected, so the phone was not set up for data roaming either.  I still implemented the work-around, so we'll see what happens.  I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can add that I also had the "faint ringing" sound even while having the "Data roaming Sound" set to Off. Hopefully the roaming settings will help though.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It's always worth a try but everything I have seen about this does not point to this as being the solution.

0 Likes
Mickfo
Enthusiast - Level 1

CalebSpronk wrote:

Mickfo... I just wanted to narrow things down a bit more. There were some people in an XDA thread suggesting it might be from overheating the device (which would be far more common in lower signal areas when more power is being sent to the radio). Since it was so reproducible for you, do you know if the device was always quite warm when it happened? If not, I'm completely sold on it being a radio issue (whether it's hardware/software, I wouldn't be able to tell yet). Thanks in advance!

Overheating was something i considered as well, so I checked it one time when the ringing started and my phone was not hot at all on at least one occasion.

0 Likes
gettinganswers

Add me to the list.  Sound asleep last night at 1am and my phone starts ringing.  I'm pushing buttons, turning volume down, powering it down and back on and it keeps going. my lady is bolting up in bed and everyone is getting mad as hell.  This morning turned it back on and it was still doing it.  Had to restart the phone to get it to stop.  And believe me it is NOT faint when you are sleeping.  I will try the roaming settings, to see if that works but I have a feeling this will be one of those things that will continue to haunt us!

0 Likes
Azz316
Enthusiast - Level 2

In response to the following:

"I just got off the phone with verizon and I was advised to go into the settings for mobile data, open up data roaming and allow access for all trips, uncheck play sound when roaming, and select global mode and this would take care of the problem. The rep told me that this was the fix for the problem according to something he read. He also said the only time you need to take the phone out of roaming is when you leave the country. So, I will try this and report back".

I configured my phone as it said above and today it starting "ringing" again (two separate occasions).  The only difference between the first time it "rang" today and all the previous 'rings" was the "ringing" stopped by itself.  I was getting gas and didn't have a chance to check to see if it was roaming or not.  The second time I did check and it wasn't roaming and I had to check GSM to get it to stop again.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

It would be nice if Moderators could move this thread from generic Android to the new HTC One forum.

0 Likes