Forced OTA Updates?
TommyBrown

My Rezound keeps connecting to the Internet (turning on my wireless connection even when I have it disabled) and downloading the firmware update. I can't stop it from downloading. The only thing I am allowed to do is defer it. But it only lets me defer it 24 hours. Which doesn't even matter because it still downloads and tries to install it about 7 or 8 times a day. The problem is that when I am not near my phone or am asleep, I don't hear the alert (which is still extremely loud even though I have the phone on silent. Why does it override my volume settings??). Thus it begins installing anyway without my permission. Of course the update shuts down the phone and tries to update and then fails. Everytime. Leaving my phone in boot mode with the screen still on. Sucking down my battery. Not to mention my alarm can't go off and wake me up when my phone is off. Also, it is sucking my battery even more all day by continually downloading megabytes and megabytes of the same stupid update. And leaving my screen on. Why is there no option to cancel the OTA update? Why do I not get a choice. I looked all over (Calling customer support, forums, google, ect.) and haven't been able to find out how to stop this. I would rather not have to waste my time taking my phone in, getting it worked on, ect. Is there no magical button a service rep can click to stop sending the OTA update to my phone? What is the solution to this problem?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Forced OTA Updates?
LDS_Verizon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I chose to reject all updates instead of  choosing 'defer' and haven't had the same problems as you. Did you choose to reject the update?

0 Likes
Re: Forced OTA Updates?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

TommyBrown,  I can see how it would be upsetting to have your data turn on by itself to download an update only to fail! First, are you using a widget to turn off data or turning it off via Settings? What error message are you receiving when the update fails? Please try clearing your System cache. This will not erase any data from the phone.

1. Boot into recovery
o Press and hold Power, Choose "Restart" option
o When screen turns off, press and hold Volume Down and Power
2. When the white HBOOT screen appears, use the volume button to move down to “RECOVERY.”
3. Press the Power button to select “RECOVERY.”
4. When the triangle and exclamation appears, hold the Volume Up and Power button at the same time.
5. Using the volume button, scroll down to “Wipe cache partition” and select it.
6. Select "Reboot system now"

You can attempt the software update again to see if it completes. Let me know if you need further assistance.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes