Re: Frequent disconnects from 4g and Mobile Hotspot
susan53024

I have had the Thunderbolt since the day it came out. I use the mobile hotspot as my internet connection as we live in a small town that does not offer internet packages other than Hughes network which is a joke. I never had an issue with my Palm Pre Plus hotspot, both my boyfriend and I have been able to connect at the same time from the one phone; I had the 5g plan, which I am hoping will be available with the Thunderbolt., with the Thunderbolt however, the internet is basically unusable when more than one person is using the hotspot. Does anyone know if this is a phone issue? If so, I will have to return my phone even though I love it. 

0 Likes
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hey susan53024,

sorry to hear about your issue with the hotspot frequently disconnecting. May I ask what software version do you have on your Thunderbolt? There has been a recent software update that resolves a variety of symptoms. The OTA (over the air) rollout of the software update will begin as of 5/3. Once you have completed the software upgrade, may I have you retry the service over the next couple of days to confirm that the hotspot is working better. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
susan53024

Thanks for the reply, I am not sure if I am checking the right place or not, I am not to swift with these types of things, but I believe it is version 2.2.1, my software number says 1.12.605.6. I did check to see if there are any software updates and there are none as of yet. Also, if you could tell me, do you know what the hotspot package include? I had the 5g package for hotspot before, but the verizon sales person didn't know, but thought the highest would be 2g. Everyone in my home, 5 people each have the hotspot package of 5g on their phone and with using it as the only internet we have, I would always be over the 2g.

Thanks again for your reply

Susan

0 Likes
TBolt-NooB

Suffering the same problems described here from June through now (3 months now) . Mobile Hotspot on ThunderBolt will not stay connected to Verizon  4G LTE mobile wireless network. I think the longest I've ever stayed connected is about 7 minutes.  Device to ThunderBolt is steady but ThunderBolt to Network keeps cycling between connected and "no mobile network".  It suffered this when tethering was free and now that I'm paying $20/month extra, it is still happening.  I see lots of folks with the issue but no consistent solution.  Does not matter what kind of device I WiFi to the ThunderBolt, does not matter what 4G area I'm in... I've tried Seattle, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New York City, Chicago (Maui and Portland OR, which are new or about to come on services as well) -same issue where it cannot keep the wireless network connection.  If I force to 3G, it works but seems very slow and why did I buy the ThunderBolt if I was willing to settle for 3G?  I should have stuck with Sprint, the service was bad there but it was so much cheaper and no limits.

Tried all the purported remedies given out on all the various forums with no improvement (Factory Reset, Hardware Replacement, SIM reformat, latest Verizon Firmware update, etc.)  Verizon has been silent on this and HTC claims it's a Verizon issue. Upcoming firmware updates seem to come only a couple of times a year and of course, the promise always is that the next update will fix the issue... which is not being acknowledged is an issue.  It would be so cool if someone offered a 4G LTE mobile hotspot that worked -regardless of the cost.

0 Likes
susan53024

I am still having this problem, and at the Verizon store they tell me they don't know why and to call the customer care line. I pay $100.00 a month to use the hotspot (I have no other choice for internet other than through a phone line, because of my area). I don't even get 4g here (as told by verizon, it will be coming soon, uh sure). Anyway, now verizon says that the extra $100.00 a month is for my internet on the phone AND the hotspot combined. Well, when I have a palm pre plus my package was free internet on the phone and 20.00 extra for the hotspot and my service is WORSE. I plan on going to sprint as well. Verizon said my cancelation cost would be 310.00, which seems alot cheaper than paying for a phone that does connect and you have to watch the limit you use between the phone and hotspot. 

0 Likes
Re: Frequent disconnects from G and Mobile Hotspot
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

Taboo-Knob wrote:

Suffering the same problems described here from June through now (3 months now) . Mobile Hotspot on ThunderBolt will not stay connected to Verizon  4G LET mobile wireless network. I think the longest I've ever stayed connected is about 7 minutes.  Device to ThunderBolt is steady but ThunderBolt to Network keeps cycling between connected and "no mobile network".  It suffered this when tethering was free and now that I'm paying $20/month extra, it is still happening.  I see lots of folks with the issue but no consistent solution.  Does not matter what kind of device I WiFi to the ThunderBolt, does not matter what 4G area I'm in... I've tried Seattle, Los Angles, Minneapolis, New York City, Chicago (Maim and Portland OR, which are new or about to come on services as well) -same issue where it cannot keep the wireless network connection.  If I force to 3G, it works but seems very slow and why did I buy the ThunderBolt if I was willing to settle for 3G?  I should have stuck with Sprint, the service was bad there but it was so much cheaper and no limits.

Tried all the purported remedies given out on all the various forums with no improvement (Factory Reset, Hardware Replacement, SIMI reformat, latest Verizon Firmware update, etc.)  Verizon has been silent on this and ETC claims it's a Verizon issue. Upcoming firmware updates seem to come only a couple of times a year and of course, the promise always is that the next update will fix the issue... Which is not being acknowledged is an issue.  It would be so cool if someone offered a 4G LET mobile hotshot that worked -regardless of the cost.

Hi Taboo-Knob,

I apologize for the issues you been having with your device. I understand you mentioned you updated the latest firmware on your Thunderbolt. However, have you updated to the newest version of 1.70.605.0 released around July 12th? I ask because some Thunderbolt users had issues not receiving this update. Please check your device to see to confirm you have the latest software version. Here is a link on how to obtain the update for your device. After ensuring you have the newest update on your device, retry using your 4G mobile hotspot in the areas we offer 4G coverage. If you have issues getting the software update or using your 4G mobile hotshot, please send me a private message with your information to be assisted further. 

0 Likes
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

susan53024: Does this happen only when 2+ people connect, and what exactly happens--can't connect to any sites?  

What I noticed with the hotspot was that using multiple threads of access to the internet (for example, having many tabs open at the same time in my browser) would cause internet connectivity to stop on both the computer and the phone. The 3G/4G icon would still show, but I couldn't access anything.

For me, the solution was to turn off Auto Sync before using the hotspot (Menu -> Settings -> Accounts and Sync, and then uncheck Auto Sync). You might want to give that a try.

Some other solutions include:

(1) Connect to the hotspot using only one computer. Then, if one computer can connect, you can use Connectify (freeware) to turn that one computer into a hotspot. Other computers would access the internet (over WiFi) through that one computer.

(2) Try using a direct USB connection instead of a wireless connection. For me, this made no difference, but it's worth a try. 

(3) Cancel the hotspot plan on the TB, and instead go with a dedicated 3G/4G modem+router or mobile hotspot device (e.g., the Novatel or Samsung). My Pantech UML290 plugged into a separate router--though by no means perfect--is much more reliable than using the hotspot feature on the TB. Plus, with this setup, you can connect an external antenna to boost your signal (all devices except the Samsung have an external antenna connector; the Samsung has one, but it's below the battery, which makes it unusable AFAIK). You can do the 5GB plan for $50 or the 10GB plan to $80, and then drop your phone plan to $30 for a combined total of at most $110. (Verizon: the shared data plans would come in very handy for this scenario!)

Best of luck,

0 Likes
NoStopN

I must admit DMC, that 3rd solution isn't as cost effective as still using the mobile hotspot on the Thunderbolt (if you were an early adopter that got an unlimited plan).

Here it is October & this is still a problem. I have had the dropping of data connections since I got the phone. During the free period, I figured it might have been some bugs with this being the first phone on the LTE network. But, each new update didn't change the problem. Considering that we are paying for this service, I would like mobile hotspot to work as intended. I have had a replacement SIM card, every little trick with battery pulls & SIM card removal/reinstallation (to reset the network connection), even a replacement phone & a service ticket for the tower in my area. It's been 2 weeks since the ticket was started & I haven't heard back from Verizon Tech Support. Nothing at all. Not a, "We've checked the tower...", no, "We wanted to inform you of our inspection...", nothing. About the only thing left to blame would be the software. I would like to think that if this is a rather widespread issue that VZW would have gotten in touch with HTC about this.

I don't think it's too much to ask for this feature to work. If users of other 4G phones on Verizon are not having this problem, then I think HTC should reimburse VZW for replacing our phones with another brand. HTC posted big profits just recently, so they can afford to do some damage control about this. They have already lost my future business. I don't want Verizon to lose my business either.

0 Likes
dcpmark
Enthusiast - Level 2
It's still happening for me, but is not consistent from day to day. I use the MHS in same place with the same device every work day for 8 hours, and some days it's flawless, and others days the data connection constantly drops. This never happens when I use the 4g on the phone.....only when my iPad 2 is connected to the MHS.

I tried another tip yesterday, and so far I've had no disconnects. I set it to LTE only, then turn on the hotspot, then restart the phone. Once the phone boots up again I have to select the MHS again, but so far no 4g cycling.
0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

dcpmark,

My experience is exactly like yours except that I don't usually have to restart my phone. I leave my phone set at LTE Mode all of the time, so I just check to make sure it is set at LTE Mode before I turn on the hotspot, then boot up my laptop. I've posted about using LTE mode before since it works for me, but others report no change which is normal for Android phones. What works for some doesn't work for others.

Glad using LTE Mode works for you.

0 Likes