Re: Gingerbread
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Even if it ain't this week when the EVO 3d comes out HTC will have the gingerbread. Isent it coming out soon for Sprint. Just a thought.
0 Likes
Karuk

Does anyone really believe that Gingerbread will be released in 2 days? 

The dev community will have a working version of Gingerbread long before it is released. At this point they are working with an Alpha release. I believe we are a few weeks/months out.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Nope, in two days... Nope still don't think so.

The support page for the last update is still on the VZW website. I will believe that something is coming when that changes.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
frr

I read about it in the forums and did a search for it in the Android Market.

0 Likes
Dnakaman
Contributor - Level 1

frr wrote:

I read about it in the forums and did a search for it in the Android Market.

I'm sorry I probably made this thread go in the wrong direction with my initial post.

To answer your original question, Gingerbread is the next software upgrade slated to be available for the Thunderbolt. (Google decided to use dessert names that started with the first letter of the build -  Ie Donut was D, Eclair was for E, and Froyo is for F - which is what you  are currently running on your Thunderbolt).

Gingerbread (Build 2.3.3) I believe first was made available on the Nexus S (Google phone) late last year.  Some phones coming out currently will be shipping with it and as said eariler, the Thunderbolt will be updated at sometime via an OTA (over the air) update.

The reason for my first post was that the person who responded to your inquiry first stated that it was going to be available today.  That is why I was questioning where this info came from, since there is no indication from any sources that Gingerbread was going to be released today.

I have heard that there will be an update soon (possibly starting today), of an OTA that was going to be pushed to fix the reboot issues (which was a result of the first OTA pushed just after the Thunderbolt was released).

Gingerbread will basically give you some new "eye candy" with sense 3.0 elements (they are really cool looking).  So at some point (hopefully soon), they will push the OTA out for the Thunderbolt.

Hope that helps answer your question.

0 Likes
frr

Thank you.  I guess where I got confused is that there is an app in the android market called gingerbread.

I updated my thunderbolt with new firmware on Sunday, June 12.  I take it that that wasn't Gingerbread?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

frr wrote:

Thank you.  I guess where I got confused is that there is an app in the android market called gingerbread.

I updated my thunderbolt with new firmware on Sunday, June 12.  I take it that that wasn't Gingerbread?

Unlikely unless you got it from channels other than Verizon.  And there's pretty much a 0% chance that the next update (whenever it may be) will be Gingerbread. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The most recent update to the Thunderbolt was a maintenance release (MR1) and was not Gingerbread. It updated to radio and a few other things.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@frr
Here is a pretty good article explains what improvements were made from FroYo to Gingerbread. It goes into the development community too, but the first part explain the differences well.

http://m.androidcentral.com/ask-ac-why-was-htc-desire-gingerbread-update-cancelled-and-what-can-user...

0 Likes
Dnakaman
Contributor - Level 1

frr wrote:

Understandable...all this dessert talk just makes me hungry, LOL.

Anyways, the June 12th OTA was to fix some problem at the release of the phone.  Unfortunately, it seems to have possibly caused some other issues to pop up.

So from what I understand, this next OTA (and you will get a notification like you did on the first OTA), is supposed to fix the issues that the first OTA may have caused.

Again, don't quote me on this, as I have no way of knowing, but I don't believe this next OTA will be the long awaited update to gingerbread.

So you won't find a Gingerbread update in the market (unless your maybe looking for a recipe), you will be notified via an OTA.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes