Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Google Voice Question
DroidM

I Know everybody is waiting for the GB Update and one of the biggest reasons is for SKYP and the ability to have Video Calls. From what I understand Google Voice is also supposed to give you this option as well but not until the GB Update. Can anyone confirm this for me, as I already use Google Voice for Text Msg and really don't' want yet another AP on my phone that dose something another AP Im already using dose..

0 Likes
Re: Google Voice Question
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

google voice does have a video call feature that is supposed to work with GB. however, everyone i contact via video calls uses skype. it's been around for years so everyone that i know uses it. there's also yahoo, tango, and QIK....but again, my friends and family all use skype and there's no way i could convince them all to set up google voice or any of the others...lol.

0 Likes
DroidM

Thanx For The Info,

For Me It's sort Of The Oposit, Most people I woudl need to Video Chat with are using Google Voice Or Google Talk on there PC I know several peopel using Skype but dont' need to video Chat with them. (At least for now) What I find confusing is Google Talk which is the Chat AP that comes with Any Google Powered Phone and Google Voice that you get from the Market. Google Talk on the PC dose the Video Chat but On the Phone it's Google Voice... Might just be easyer to get everybudy to switch to Skype altho it will not work with out Wi-Fi which is a problem for me as Im not always around a Hot Spot.

0 Likes
PJNC284

DroidM wrote:

What I find confusing is Google Talk which is the Chat AP that comes with Any Google Powered Phone and Google Voice that you get from the Market. Google Talk on the PC dose the Video Chat but On the Phone it's Google Voice... Might just be easyer to get everybudy to switch to Skype altho it will not work with out Wi-Fi which is a problem for me as Im not always around a Hot Spot.

Google Talk and Google Voice are separate.  Google Voice can be used to make/receive calls and texts and has it's own standalone app.  Google Talk is the chat program and should get updated to support video chat with the Gingerbread update.  It seems to work ok from playing around with it on the Gingerbread leaks.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

actually skype works fine on wifi or 4g.....and it even works on 3g as well (depending on where you are, it may be a bit choppy....but it's been fine for me). facetime (iphone) is the only one that requires wifi. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader
it is getting to be to much you have to to to make a call and text on a phone with all these different apps adding features that isn't compatible cross platform.. I am to the point you will call, text and email from my device only.. Now when something work you have to check with all these apps and sites that the phone connects with to identify which is the problem...... I'm dizzy... Please stop the room from spinning.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Wildman wrote:
it is getting to be to much you have to to to make a call and text on a phone with all these different apps adding features that isn't compatible cross platform.. I am to the point you will call, text and email from my device only.. Now when something work you have to check with all these apps and sites that the phone connects with to identify which is the problem...... I'm dizzy... Please stop the room from spinning.

that's why it would have been SOOOO nice if skype had been integrated into the tbolt.....like the demo tbolts at the CES. it was built into the device, so when you pulled up your contacts you could actually select to video call them. THAT would've been real smooth.....and i would think it would've prompted millions of new skype users? i hate to draw the comparison here.....but the iphone has facetime, and if you video call on it, you use facetime. i'm all for options, and love that i can call pc's with skype....but something built into android for all google/android users would make so much sense.....even if it was only good for android to android devices. 

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert
Wouldn't that be Google Talk with video chat (Android 2.3 and higher?) is for?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Ann154 wrote:
Wouldn't that be Google Talk with video chat (Android 2.3 and higher?) is for?

yes....but since very few androids are runing 2.3 it really isn't here yet. unless they are going to update ALL androids (which we know they wont) then we are still far from having anything very universal.

0 Likes
Ann154
Expert
Expert
True, but I think everything available with a front facing camera should get Android 2.3 (2.3.4) eventually. Then it would be universal across those devices.

I already see that I can voice chat using Google Talk on my baby Droid Eris (running GB 2.3.4). I haven't tried it with the one person it is allowed on yet, but someday...

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes