Google Wallet Users - Hackers Alert
Wildman
Legend

For all the users that has been so excited to use Google Wallet and the ones that has been complaining because not all devices has it...  Read up on the latest information released about the security hacks that reported..  And for the rooters floating around this just express the reason that your phone was locked down to protect your device and information..

Google Wallet PIN can be cracked... on a rooted Android device

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57374258-83/google-wallet-pin-can-be-cracked..-on-a-rooted-android-...

http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/02/09/Screen_shot_2012-02-09_at_1.41.21_PM.png

Latest Google Wallet hack picks your pocket

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57374589-83/latest-google-wallet-hack-picks-your-pocket/

http://asset3.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2012/02/10/Google_prepaid_card_in_Google_wallet.jpg

Re: Google Wallet Users - Hackers Alert
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Personally I am still not sold on the whole Google Wallet idea either.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You know what amazes me? Where are all the people crying about the Nexus being delayed while not getting wallet, and blamed the whole delay on it. Verizon claimed security and a commercial deal was being worked on. Seems like Verizon was right?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Well said Tidbit, I dont think I could have said it better....  Also Ann I have to agree that I cant really get the big hype with the Google Wallet ideal but you know so many have to have the biggest crave and complain about the issue later..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wallet is a good concept.  I have it and used a few times, BUT I don't save what I use to pay, and I don't keep high enough funds to worry about it.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I havent used it and really dont understand everything about it but when I read the part about users being able to pay for things by swyping the device across a scanner, wouldnt that be a dangerous thing because a person can walk past you with a scanner and access information from your device,

Just seems a bit risky...

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Wildman wrote:

I havent used it and really dont understand everything about it but when I read the part about users being able to pay for things by swyping the device across a scanner, wouldnt that be a dangerous thing because a person can walk past you with a scanner and access information from your device,

Just seems a bit risky...

That's what the PIN is for.  There are two fail safes.  The screen must be on and you must input the pin in order for Wallet to transmit any information.

The NFC cards is a different story though.  A scanner will work on those.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That sound like a good thing but I can think of so many methods to possibly circumvent those options, especially if you leave wifi or bluetooth on like so many users do..

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

So could I, but it would require root privileges and only rooted phones would be affected Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

With the right knowledge it could probally be accomplish without root access but root would make it much simplier..  Basically if the command can be triggers to tell the phone to transmit because it thinks a transaction has been authorized the doors will open..  But I hope that Google thought of this and heavenly encrypt the data transmitted.

I am not playings Devils Advocate, just pointing out the possibilites as a computer tech...  Sometimes developers focus on the common attack methods but dont secure others areas, all software has vulnerabilities...  This is why hackers find security issues and figure out how to use that to do what they want.

0 Likes