Google buying Motorola Mobility
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/08/15/google-to-acquire-motorola-mobility-enabling-android-to-break-n...

What effect do you think on Verizon device offerings?

Hopefully it will lead to a truly great hardware/software combination if Google sticks to promoting devices where the USER gets to decide what apps they want to have installed on their phone (unlocked bootloaders = less bloatware = win for us :smileyvery-happy:)  

I really believe my problems (data drops, messaging problems) since the MR2 update are tied to bloatware, and the added bloatware put on with MR2, not playing well with Froyo.

Developers seem to get it a lot closer to right when all the do is provide a ROM with no bloat. It's when they (developers) add all the eye candy and themes that they introduce glitches ALBEIT a lot less than HTC/VZW do with their "stock".:smileysad:

0 Likes
Re: Google buying Motorola Mobility
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Join the existing discussion?

http://community.vzw.com/t5/Android-Discussions/Google-buying-Motorola-Mobility/td-p/629916

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

I will:smileywink:

I start out in this forum because it's the device I use....

Hope this means Google will promote unlocked bootloaders so us users can customize our device to our liking and not the manufacturer and carrier version of what we'll live with. Updates would be a lot faster and more stable without all the added bloatware and skins foisted on the end user.  These add-ons must be tested for their ability to play nice in the sandbox with the other apps.

I know if an app I've installed isn't working to the level I expect, or it negatively impacts other applications I use, it won't be on my phone long. Too bad I'm forced to live without that choice.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

I will:smileywink:

I start out in this forum because it's the device I use....

Hope this means Google will promote unlocked bootloaders so us users can customize our device to our liking and not the manufacturer and carrier version of what we'll live with. Updates would be a lot faster and more stable without all the added bloatware and skins foisted on the end user.  These add-ons must be tested for their ability to play nice in the sandbox with the other apps.

I know if an app I've installed isn't working to the level I expect, or it negatively impacts other applications I use, it won't be on my phone long. Too bad I'm forced to live without that choice.

Placebo effect.  There's a LARGE writeup which I wrote up a long time ago.  Skins, and apps are NOT the problem media spins it to make it that to get them clicks to get paid.
here's the cliff notes. 
The problem is the KERNEL.  Every manufacturer has to rewrite the kernel to work for their devices.  They have to wait for the drivers from the manufacturer of each component(ram, camera, etc) before they can even complete the kernel.  Also there is QC control which the root community doesn't have to do.  The root community just does more bug fixes than actual coding.  Cyanogen Team has already admitted to this fact because they already up and front said they will not develop on devices WITHOUT a kernel source.  It takes too long to write a kernel and to write drivers, and then test them to make sure they work.  That would further delay development.
The only time skins and apps really have to do any major overhaul is when the framework has change or an API has changed that is being used.  Very little testing unless a framework overhaul has happened. The last major overhaul was... 1.6 to 2.0 and there will be a major one when Google combines the Tablet and Phone Android OS into 1 source.
0 Likes