Group text messages - won't download/take a long time to download
kp89

This is a recent issue - maybe started two, three weeks ago.  My phone is a One, updated to 4.4.2

Whenever I receive group text messages sent by someone I've already received texts from, the text shows up as "downloading".  These are just text messages, no videos/pictures/HTML links.  The download fails 9/10 times and I have to either wait a couple hours ( ! ) or constantly hit "retry download" for it to show up.  I haven't noticed this problem with messages from numbers not saved to my contacts - in fact, there was a period of time where friends of the person who last owned my phone were sending group messages and I got every single one of those immediately, including pictures/videos.

These group texts are for work, so while I haven't had a download completely fail and I can't read the message, I don't want to risk that happening.

0 Likes
Re: Group text messages - won't download/take a long time to download
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

kp89, we don't want this to be an ongoing issue for you. Are you connected to Wi-Fi when attempting to upload a group message? With the recent software update, you will need to disable Wi-Fi and connect to our network to upload multi-media messages. Try it and keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mollycule
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been having this same issue for quite a while, probably also since the update.  Turning off the wifi did work this time, I was finally able to receive the MMS.

I think it is unacceptable to have to switch off wifi to receive group texts/MMS.  Why would this be a feature in the update?  Is it a bug?  Are you working on fixing it?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

mollycule,

We don't want this to be a reoccuring issue for you. What zipcode are you in? Has anyone else noticed the same in your home or is it just your device?

SandyS_VZW

0 Likes
mollycule
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm the only one in my apartment, so I don't know.  Zip code 45431.  When I was researching this issue, I saw several places that wifi needed to be turned off in order to receive MMS's after the 4.4.2 update.

roshmyer

I began experiencing the same issue this week when, after approaching my data limit, I turned off Mobile Data. Now even when on Wifi I cannot receive group messages nor picture messages -- the rest of my texts come through fine. I am in zip code 29412 with software #5.28.6. Will not turn on Mobile Data until the new billing cycle starts and this seems like a ridiculous solution to receive group texts...turning off wifi!?!

0 Likes
stuperman
Enthusiast - Level 2

that disgusts me. I'm having the same problem and i will tell you right now that my contract is up in 6 weeks and if that is going to be the solution to the problem at hand.....see you later!

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for the information mollycule. That definitely helps. Coverage in area looks great. Regarding wi-fi and MMS, this is true, you need to have wi-fi off to send/receive MMS. Turn it off and try it again. Keep us posted.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport 

0 Likes
stuperman
Enthusiast - Level 2

So basically Verizon is making us use data to download?

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

roshmyer, we don't want you to miss any of your incoming group messages on that device! Since group messages are considered as a multimedia functionality, you will need to turn data on and connect to our network. Sorry, group messages cannot be sent/receieved when data feature is disabled off. 

LasinaH_VZW

0 Likes