Ok, I have had my One for a day now and here is my observations.
1. Build quality is excellent. No flaws observed
2. Speed, superb
3. size and weight are very comfortable for me
4. TV Remote works great (for those who like to use this feature)
5. Amazon Kindle App will not stay open. I have tried everything, for deleting cache to re-installing to considering sacrificing a live chicken! I really use this when I travel by air, and was really looking forward to a larger screen than my Bionic. I guess I will be switching to Google Books or something else. I have tried removing all apps that I had installed but for the ones I absolutely need, like K-9 mail.
I am bummed about that one app, but hopefully, Amazon will fix it soon.
If you read the reviews on Google Play from the phone, and select the options for "latest version" and for this phone only, you'll see many people posting about your problem - looks like the last update messed it up. So I wouldn't give up.
I was going to wait until the price dropped, but the promo code circulating was enough for me. I did an in-store pickup. (If "in-store pickup" is not showing for you, try clearing your cache and restarting your browser, that did the trick for me.)
In the store, the rep:
1. Acted like I was insane for not wanting to cover this phone with a case and screen protector
2. Asked me if I was aware that HTC is notorious for bad battery life
3. Reminded me there is no removable battery
4. Reminded me there is no removable storage
5. Generally acted unfriendly, cold, unexcited, and kept me there way longer than necessary
All of this had no effect, of course -- she had no idea I'd made up my mind months ago. As I was walking out, it occurred to me... wow, that Verizon rep REALLY didn't want me to buy this phone. If I had been any other unaware consumer, I would have easily been persuaded to look at other options (probably gs4).
I wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes here, and if there's a hidden desire by Verizon for this phone to fail.
The phone is beautiful so far btw.
i don't think it's got anything to do with "behind the scenes" stuff. i honestly believe it's the individual sales reps you end up with. i can go in to my local store and deal with one, who will rant and rave about how great the maxx is. go back to another rep and he'll rant and rave about why you shouldn't get a maxx. i've seen some REALLY push the iphones and others REALLY steer people away from it. they sell their own personal preferences. everyone wants to think that whatever they prefer is the best.
Odd thing, I posted a 2star review on the VZW website the morning the phone was released. They are withholding my review and only processing 4+star reviews. Others have bee posted that were submitted well after mine.
My big complaint is that we waited 4 months for this to come out on VZW after it was released on other carriers. After all that wait we only get the device in silver and only 32Gb of storage. Seems like VZW is not taking this device seriously. I have been posting this message on several forums and have yet to see a VZW person reply back with some information as to what is going on.
When most new phones are released it's usually just the one color. then they introduce other colors. black will come out... bank on it. when. who knows. and a 2 star review has nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with VZW... id with-hold it also-. as for me. I'm having fun reading everyones exp. with the one on VZW.. ill try and wait for the black one. now that i know vzw has it... its all good.
yeah, it's kind of a shame that someone would give a great device 2 stars just because it doesn't come in the color they want or the storage they want. if you're rating the carrier, sure, fine......but to rate HTC low just because your carrier didn't get the exact model that you wanted is kind of lame.
I GAVE in and went to a vzw store to pickup my online order with 60$ off.
The guy showed me the last 2 phones they had left but they both had gaps on the top and bottom, small gaps, but still gaps. Walked out and canceled my order. I am now going to wait 2 weeks for the release of the N3.
I got mine and had no problems. Build quality is great.
The store reps were great. Two of them were actually HTC fan boys and we spent 30 min. trashing the rest of their phone line up.
Maybe I shouldn't mention this here since V is so anti HTC, I don't want them to lose their jobs.
My only minor complaints.
1. Phone gets a warm.
2. Ringtones and sounds are REALLY lame.
Other than that, SUPER happy I have it.