Re: HTC ONE part 2
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

Mark my words:  Within the next 2 years, VZW will no longer subsidize the purchase of smartphones.  The "EDGE" plan will be the only way they offer phones.  They will eliminate the expense of paying anything for your phone.  We will pay 100% of the phone.

They already got rid of the ability to upgrade your phone with the subsidy after 20 months.  It's going to be more expensive!

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

I believe you are mistaken that Best Buy purchases the phones from Verizon. They purchase the phones from the manufacturer.

For each phone Best Buy sells and has the purchaser sign a service contract thru Verizon, Best Buy gets an incentive payment from Verizon. So unlike Verizon, Best Buy is STILL making money when they sell a phone at the 2 yr contract price. Verizon pays out money to Best Buy for each phone Best Buy sells with a Verizon service contract. Because of this, Best Buy can sell phones cheaper than Verizon and still make money on the sale. Verizon makes the money back over time with the service contract, though.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Paul Kailas wrote:

They already got rid of the ability to upgrade your phone with the subsidy after 20 months.  It's going to be more expensive!

I believe they got rid of the 20 month upgrade to make it easier to switch to the Edge program. If you are under contract, you are not eligible for the Edge program. If you always upgrade at 20 months, you would never be eligible for the Edge program. By aligning the upgrade date with the contract end date, no one will have this problem and some people will feel it to be cheaper to go with the Edge program than with the subsidized phone.

Purchasing a subsidized phone has a higher upfront cost, but you are paying MUCH less over time than you would with the Edge program. Each time you upgrade, you will have paid AT LEAST 50% of the full retail price and unless you have paid 100% of the retail price, you would have to turn your phone in to stay on the Edge program. If you turn in a non-working phone, you will most likely get billed for the remaining balance of the full retail price of the phone. I feel the Edge program is basically a VERY EXPENSIVE rental program, much less attractive than the subsidized phones.

0 Likes
evenflo68

Ok heres a new update... Best buy found the 6gb max plan in their system from their phone support line, but are now telling me I can't use it because I have a company discount on my Verizon bill... So it won't allow them to choose that option... What's really going on... Doesn't make sense...

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

0 Likes
Dippy_Dawg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps the employee discount program can't be used with Edge? Very interesting indeed.

If you don't average more than 4GB/month, you're probably better off staying away from the 6GB Max rouse anyways. Because of the "rental" on the phone, you'll end up paying more overall, even with a discount, which only applies to the service, not your data allowance.

But let's, for a moment, take your experience and the prediction that Edge like programs will become the norm.... What does that mean for the employee discount program?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4GLTE smartphone

0 Likes
Not applicable

My government discount includes both Service and data on the primary line. 19%

25% off accessory items on all lines.

If they remove the discounts they save millions of lost dollars.

I am on the "Edge" of my seat to see what other tricks Verizon will use to pick the customers pockets.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Elector wrote:

25% off accessory items on all lines.

Have you checked your accessory discount recently? I used to get 35% off all accessories, however that discount has recently been removed for the vast majority of all accessories.

0 Likes
Not applicable

I will check right now....Thanks for alerting me.

The NYS Commodity Contract for Cellular -Wireless Services did not as far as I know change.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Still have it. See screenshot.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Good to hear. My accessory discount has recently dropped, however I still get the discount on service.

0 Likes