Re: HTC ONE?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Again, you're making my point for me, what you pay for service is where Verizon (as well as any other carrier) makes their money.  Why would they not carry (or delay) a device?  I'd be willing to bet that this particular case has to do with some agreement between HTC and Verizon regarding the sales of the DNA (released and therefore agreed to well before the ONE was announced).  If those terms have not been met, and either Verizon or HTC does not have a good time frame on when they will be, that would be perfect grounds for not giving a release date.  They make their money on the service and, therefore, will do what they can to keep a customer base.  They aren't going to lose enough money on the sale of the ONE vs. the sale of the new MOTO phones to justify pushing away the customer base waiting for the ONE (unless, of course, that phone isn't as desired by their customers as you seem to think it is). 

Another thing to consider is, the last HTC phone that Verizon carried that was a real powerhouse (for it's time) was the original DInc and maybe Verizon is hesitant about supporting another one of their phones.  I had the Eris, my wife has the DInc2, I currently have the Rezound and, depending on what things look like when my contract is up, will probably be getting the ONE.  Each of those phones has been lacking in one way or another, but I really like HTC as a company (I'm a sucker for the underdog) and I feel free to make my own "adjustments" to the phones, and Verizon's service for me has been second to none.  It's obvious that you don't really know what's going on here, and I find it funny when I see someone going on an internet rager because something doesn't meet their "needs".

Klue
Master - Level 1

The only ones that are pushing back the launch dates are the rumor mills, then everyone gets suckered in and they get their dander up.  Verizon said late summer and that could be all the way to 9/20/13. They haven't said anything else officially.

Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

Release it 4 months after Sprint IS a delay, like it or not.

It's pitiful

0 Likes
BOBD1950
Contributor - Level 1

A mellow Blue..

0 Likes
Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

You must either be a new Verizon customer or you're chosing to ignore their past.

This is the same company that would remove SD cards, USB syncing, Wi-FI, on previous smartphones/feature to force you into their ecosystem.

Sure, that might have pissed off the more tech educated fanbase, hell, they might have even lost customers from it, just like they may have lost a few thousand with the HTC One debacle.

But the reality is they don't care, they'd rather have 100 customers that eat out of their hands. The kind of customers that don't care about Wi-FI and think paying the $7.99 to sync their photos is standard fair than have 200 customers that complain about things like adding the Verizon logo garishly on the home button, get pissy when phones have 20 preloaded bloat apps, etc.

Hell look back at the iPhone negotiations, even as a big time Android fan, I've gotta appreciate what Apple did to change the wireless world, and in paticular Verizon. Verizon and the original iPhone didn't work out because Verizon wanted to put their V-Ware all over it, probably put their ugly logo all over it, and basically control it.

Apple said no, took a huge risk with a much small Cingular, and managed to make such an impact that Verizon had to change, to a point. We're all benefiting from it.

They still show that side of them, it's just more subtle, while they're not removing Wi-Fi anymore they're delaying phones,  delaying updates, removing 20 month upgrades, etc.  A shit leopard can't change it's stripes.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

It doesn't really matter how long I've been a customer (10+ years BTW).

If they want to remove features from phones, that's their business, if customers continue to buy the product, apparently it wasn't a bad decision.

Losing a few thousand customers is like a grain of salt in the ocean to Verizon.

Verizon was the one who originally said no to Apple.  http://news.cnet.com/Verizon-Wireless-passed-on-iPhone-two-years-ago/2100-1041_3-6154287.html  And, according to your ranting, Verizon hasn't changed.  Also, Cingular was the largest carrier at the time (you do know they changed their name to AT&T right?)

I'm having a hard time trusting anything you say.

0 Likes
Seattleandroid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just read through the thread; always painful to watch as customers come to the realization that VZW is a business and that no one person (customer) is more important than the whole (making as much money as possible).

Every major decision is based on how they can make more money....period. If losing a few loyal customers is at risk yet the overall decision garners more money (profit), mission accomplished.

Why do you think every VZW rep pushes their shared data programs regardless of why you call or go into a store? Because they screwed up in the beginning by offering unlimited data plans. They as every one else had no idea back in the day what "data" would mean today.

In other words, if you knew that gold would more than double in price in the past 10 years wouldn't you have bought some? Or maybe not sold what you had 10 years ago? Same with data, VZW goofed...not fault of theirs. Who knew what the value would be today. VZW cringes every time they see grandfathered in customers getting unlimited data for $29.95 a month.

I digress....So why has VZW held off on the HTC One? My opinion, they knew several things long in advance:

- They still had a lot of HTC Droid DNA's to get rid of.

- They were already working on the new VZ Moto Droid series and knew the release of the One would hurt the Droid effort.

- Moto X.....Hmmmm, why do you think they are offering a watered down version (only 16GB and no customization)?

Sure makes the Moto Droid offerings more palatable. Oh yeah, we will get the 32GB and customization but it will be long after the bulk of Moto Droids are sold.

Verizon for the most part does not make bad business decisions, that is why they are the largest provider.

Do we like the decisions they make?? That's never been part of the equation.

I understand Verizon, I like their wireless service and customer service. Do they always do what I would like them to do, nope. Does it matter, nope. I am guessing that for every disgruntled customer that leaves they gain 100.

Is anything they do in regards to phones, release dates, etc. worth leaving...nope. One may leave and get the phone they want but than have to deal with sub-par customer service and really crappy cell/data service.

Everything is about compromise, know who you are dealing with and what their motivation is and how you fit in to the equation.

And lastly, these are my opinions and no way am I affiliated with VZW and my comments are not meant to offend or challenge anyone. If some think that I am full of ****, I am more than OK with that.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dj13241,

We've got a serious appetite for getting some launch information on the HTC One. At this point, we do know it will be available but you'll have to curb your cravings by checking in for announcements at http://bit.ly/n5snpq .

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@dj13241,

I can definitely feel your excitement to get this great device! A new phone is always a fun time.

I do not have a release date for this device at this time but you are more then welcome to visit our news center http://bit.ly/n5snpq for updates and announcements.

Please keep in mind that if you want to upgrade and keep your unlimited data plan you have this option if you purchase the new phone at retail price.

JohnB_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Wxchaser

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

dj13241,

We've got a serious appetite for getting some launch information on the HTC One. At this point, we do know it will be available but you'll have to curb your cravings by checking in for announcements at http://bit.ly/n5snpq .

EvanO_VZW

Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

You've got to be kidding.  The lack of information about the HTC One "launch" from Verizon is absolutely appalling.

Curb your cravings?  Perhaps you are trying to make people feel better - but Verizon is really playing games this time.

0 Likes