HTC Rezound screen cracked in less than 30 days
jdnja

My htc rezound screen cracked the first time i dropped it, the phone is perfectly fine except for the cracked screen, so i was wondering if there was some sort of warranty that would replace my phone or screen since it was withing 30 days? and since its within 30 days i can still purchase insurance on it, so i was wondering if i got insurance and filed a claim if they would replace my phone or screen and how much would it cost? or could i just walk into a verizon store and ask to get my screen replaced? just could someone please tell me my options?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: HTC Rezound screen cracked in less than 30 days
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello jdnja,

I know it was a disappointment to have this happen to you; so I would like to assist with options.  Just as mentioned by the other Community members, the screen damage would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.  If you don't have insurance on your device, please reach out to me directly so I can provide you other replacement options such as purchasing a Certified Pre-Owned device or maybe even purchasing the device of your choice at full retail.  I'm happy to assist!

I hope we have answered your questions, and have addressed your concerns.

AnthonyTa_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

I think your only option is to set up the insurance and try to get it replaced. Not sure what the policy is for how long you have to wait before filing a claim, but you will have a $100 deductible.

0 Likes
TrippyCat

I did the same thing. The warranty doesn't cover it. Verizon insurance will end up costing you more than the phone is worth. I ordered a new screen for $50 from RepairsUniverse.com. It just arrived today so hopefully I will be able to put it on myself.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Demmo i Won't respond to this like i would really like to..   i will just say i don't leave the store with a new phone without insurance!! B33

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

TrippyCat wrote:

I did the same thing. The warranty doesn't cover it. Verizon insurance will end up costing you more than the phone is worth. I ordered a new screen for $50 from RepairsUniverse.com. It just arrived today so hopefully I will be able to put it on myself.

I am not sure insurance will cover this because it sounds like the OP doesnt already have insurance and this isn't a manufacturer warranty... Did you order the screen or the digitizer?  When you drop it and crack the screen but the screen  still works its the digitizer bot the screen.

Check out this http://www.amazon.com/Rezound-Touch-Screen-Digitizer-Replacement/dp/B006ORMHJA

0 Likes
TrippyCat

"Glass Screen Digitizer". Your link is what I ordered. When you get your phone from the manufacturer they have already glued the glass to the digitizer. If you would like to separate them, be my guest and go ahead. This first time you will have to replace both. You can order the glass and digitizer separately and if you break it again, you will not have to replace both. Its only $45 which is a lot cheaper than phone insurance considering you would still have a $45 deductible + monthly payments if they even accepted your claim. Or you can just have a cracked screen for the next year and a half.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I understand and wasn't saying your suggestion was incorrect, I was just making sure you got the digitizer because a number of users dont realize that its the part that is damaged not the screen....

Also you can remove the digitizer with a blow dryer or heat gun easily but if you get a good price on both that is a better route to go..

Since you appear to ready to tackle the fun, maybe it would be nice to record and post a removal video since no one has torn down the Rezound just yet...

0 Likes
TrippyCat

Hmm, I never thought about using a blow dryer to separate them. At this point though buying just the glass screen (if you can even find one) is just as expensive as buying both. I've only found these available separate in China since the rezound is so new. I don't have a video camera and already installed my screen/digitizer on my phone so there will not be a video.

I had the HTC incredible before so I took it apart and and put it back together to make sure I knew what I was doing and the rezound is essentially the same.

Also, it was just the glass that was cracked on my phone. I dropped it flat on it's face in the bathroom at a bar a little over two weeks after activating it. I'm not a complete expert but I think I would have been able to replace just the glass. But for anyone looking for a guide; just follow the HTC incredible guide. I installed mine almost 24 hours ago and its working just fine.

The screen I ordered came with a pry tool which was very useful and you will also need a Torx screwdriver (about $2).

Also, anyone replacing their own screen remember that you are breaking the warranty so if you are unsure on a step ask, ask, ask!

One more thing to Wildman: It was the glass on my screen that was cracked. If I could separate the screen and the digitizer with a blow dryer, do you think I could sell it?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Yes the screen should be able to be sold  to some one that needs one...  Check this video at the 0:40 marker to see how using a hair blower works to separate the screen and digitizer..   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0Qbp61c5hI

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello jdnja,

I know it was a disappointment to have this happen to you; so I would like to assist with options.  Just as mentioned by the other Community members, the screen damage would not be covered under the manufacturer's warranty.  If you don't have insurance on your device, please reach out to me directly so I can provide you other replacement options such as purchasing a Certified Pre-Owned device or maybe even purchasing the device of your choice at full retail.  I'm happy to assist!

I hope we have answered your questions, and have addressed your concerns.

AnthonyTa_VZW

VZW Support

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes