Re: HTC Rezound soft keys not responding?
kchessie

I called Verizon last week about this, and was told they didn't know anything about it.  Started happening about 2 weeks ago, and now keys don't work at all.  Have to restart phone to get out of some applications.  Originally I was up for a new phone in Sept, but now I have to wait until Jan because they changed the policy.

I too am out of the one year warranty...have had the phone less than 1 1/2 years.

If I pay the 100 bucks to get a refurbished one, not sure if it will fix the issue if it ends up being a OS update issue.

Anyone get a resolution yet..I don't wat to root my phone.

0 Likes
russrock1
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you look at my other posts in this thread you will see that I'm in the same boat as you. I sent my phone to HTC to diagnose the problem. They said it was a hardware issue and wanted $160 to repair it. I said screw that, just send my phone back to me. I am with the others in this thread that say this is software related since this "soft key" problem started occurring after the last software upgrade. Look at the dates of the posts in this thread, it's all a more recent occurrence.

Verizon/HTC need to recognize the problem here. We shouldn't be stuck with phones that couldn't last the duration of a 2-year contract. Call Verizon, tell them the issue, refer them to this thread as well. Don't cave and spend your hard-earned money for repairs/refurbished phones. You didn't cause this problem. Here's another thread with people having the same problem with the rezound and other HTC devices:

http://androidforums.com/htc-rezound/651316-soft-keys-not-responding.html

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1600585

http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-incredible-2/554936-soft-buttons-not-working-factory-reset-didnt-...

For the time being I recommend downloading the free version of Smart Taskbar for the Play store. Watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFnP94ahN6U

0 Likes
Cbyrdjr

There is no solution that I have found other than doing something frowned upon on this forum…. However, there is a workaround that requires zero modification to the phone.  Just install this

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jun.ace.piecontrol&feature=search_result

Setup the controls include the same functions as the soft keys and you should be ok.  This assumes that the only problem that you’re having is the softkeys flaking out.

Charles

>>personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
AZJoshM
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same issue.

I tried to work through this with @VZWsupport on twitter, but they suggest that I upgrade.

I am beginning to feel that this is a ploy to get people on unlimited plans to upgrade out of the unlimited plan. 

Obviously, VZW or HTC do not want to address the issue, despite the fact that the problem started after a software update. I feel that VZW is making these phones useless intentionally in order to force us to upgrade, renew the contract, and change to an awful "Share Everything" plan.

russrock1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmmm, I still have unlimited data and was given the same feedback like you got from Verizon.

If this keeps up maybe the term "class-action" will begin to be mentioned.

AZJoshM
Enthusiast - Level 2

Looking at other cell phone forums, it seems that the number of people that are having this problem isn't limited to the few replies to this thread.  Class Action may be something to explore

SalSci

My soft keys went out today too.  It has been a slow death over the past couple of weeks.  First it took a couple of tries, then more and more, today nothing worked.  Putting the phone to sleep and turning it back on used to work, but that doesn't anymore.  The only way to change screens now is to restart the phone every time. 

0 Likes
SalSci

Update, I took my phone to a Verizon store and they confirmed it was broke.  Fortunately I had the extended warranty and got a new Rezound.  Guess what, this one didn't read SIM cards!  I brought it back to the store and they confirmed this one was broke too.  Now I'm waiting to get my third phone.  So basically if your soft keys go out, take it back.  There is no fix for it.

0 Likes
kll03
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same problem here, and same "slow death" that SalSci describes:

"...First it took a couple of tries, then more and more, today nothing worked.  Putting the phone to sleep and turning it back on used to work, but that doesn't anymore.  The only way to change screens now is to restart the phone every time. "

I've found a temporary workaround using the My Home Button app: it allows you to add both a home button replacement and a Recent Apps switcher (what long-pressing the home button did, back when it worked) to your Notification bar. So I can at least get back to home and then close whatever app I was using.

Here's the link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=wq.myhomebutton

But this is ridiculous. My phone is also 1 1/2 yrs old, almost exactly. (I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but I am also desperately clinging to unlimited data, for what it's worth). Regardless, I've been with Verizon for about 10 years now and this is at least the third time I've bought a phone that they stopped supporting during my contract term. Anyone else notice you can't buy the Rezound through their website anymore (even though the Rhyme, released earlier than the Rezound, is still for sale)?

A phone that lasts 2 years (and is actually supported for at least that long) would be great.

russrock1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Wow, yet another person with the same problem!

Are you seeing this Verizon? Is there a fix in the works?