Re: HTC Rezound soft keys not responding?
ArtieC99
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had the sofkeys go out about a month ago. As far as I can tell there is only two solutions to this problem.  If you are under warranty go and get a replacement from verizon.  If not, like me, only option without spending somewhere around $500 for a new phone, is rooting the phone.  Verizon will tell you not to do that but unfortunately those of us which are in this boat have no choice.  It's something that will void your warranty but if you don't have one then you don't have much to lose since the phone is useless without it.  After you root your phone you can install softkey app that will allow you to have those on screen which will make your phone useable again.  Search google and you will find resources to do what I just mentioned above.  Other then that my bet is most of you are waiting for verizon to do something they will never do.  Good Luck.

0 Likes
Bburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

add me to the growing list of Rezounders who are having problems with the softkeys. Very frustrating to see that neither VZW nor HTC seems willing or interested in correcting this. 

I also went to VZW store and they had no clue as to what to do except hard reset - which I now see has already been tried.

Can't VZW/HTC examine the latest OTA update and correct this before all the Rezounds come to a screeching halt?

I was thinking of getting an HTC One from VZW but I'll rethink that given the lack of interest in correcting this /making it right for customers.

Bburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wrote to HTC... they suggested two things: "performing a wipe cache partition"; or putting in safe mode and not using any 3rd party apps for 1-2 days - this would tell if it's a 3rd party app or the phone.

Has anyone tried the "wipe cache partition" route?

0 Likes
ArtieC99
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ive tried everything pre-rooting.  I guarantee you it's not a 3rd party app.  Some on here say it might be a software issue since most of these problems coincided with the update.  I honestly think its a hardware problem with the unit and the update was a coincidence but I could be wrong.

0 Likes
TRDDave
Enthusiast - Level 1

I would like to add my name to the list of people having troubles after the last upgrade as well.  I have the HTC Thunderbolt.  I had my unlimited data plan grandfathered into a 2 year contract.  I don't have a warranty and have no option but to use the phone my work provided for me.  I have been trying to decide if I should get under the new contract and start over.

The phone worked perfectly fine.  I was just about done with the two year contract and thought that it was a coincidence that the phone stopped working.  I have troubles with the soft keys, and the digitizer.  I put the touch trace option back on my screen and have noticed it is registering multiple touches instead of the one.  No reset, calibration, or other option has corrected my issue.  I eventually installed a new OEM combined screen and digitizer unit thinking that it would fix the problem.  Didn't fix the issues.  When I can get the phone to open I can answer incoming calls.  Otherwise the phone is useless.  All other functions of the phone are obsolete as I cannot select any app, type anything using the screen, much less navigate any of the screens or settings.  Just trying to look up contacts or apps becomes a frustrating half hour ordeal.

I thought my phone issues were an isolated incident, but after reading this thread I wish I had investigated my issues earlier.  Still not sure what to do.  I have been loyal to Verizon since the AirTouch days.  I helped install some of their infrastructure at MTSOs and individual cell sites throughout SoCal.  I was sort of partial to them after working for a company installing for them.  Service has never been much of an issue until recently.

nbkramer
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add me to the list as well.  This has also been a slow death over the last 1 to 2 weeks.  VZW said, that I shoud do a hard reset, remove the battery.... I did them all and they are still almost useless.  My upgrade is up in about 2 months but I didn't want to lose my unlimited data deal. I FEEL LIKE I AM STUCK WITHOUT ANY HELP.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's definitely unusual performance for the HTC Rezound cynthie! My sister uses one and has experience excellent performance. Was there any damage to the soft keys? How long have you had the device? We offer a one-year warranty as standard and we also offer extended warranty options with insurance. We are happy to troubleshoot the device if you reactivate it!

Sincerely,

Jonathan_VZW
Please follow us on twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Nornee
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've got the same soft key problem; it began after the OTA update in May. I've tried everything short of rooting. My contract isn't up until next April. It is infuriating to see the unhelpful responses from VZW in this thread. Verizon, please contact HTC, and get them to acknowledge and fix this problem, instead of pretending you have no responsibility to your customers. It's just plain ludicrous for you to repeatedly respond to this widespread issue on a case by case basis.

0 Likes
Nornee
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Jonathan_VZW, you should read this entire thread before you respond. This is a problem affecting many paying customers, and these piecemeal responses from VZW are not going to resolve the issue.

0 Likes
AZJoshM
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is clear that Verizon wants to take no responsibility for this issue. Every few days, a VZW rep comes in this thread and gives the standard answer.

"Have your tried hard reset"

"Is your phone under warranty"

"Lets look at replacement options"

Verizon knows the answers. Yes, we tried hard reset. No, it's not under warranty.

Replacement option? Upgrade and lose your unlimited data.

This is the end game.

Get us all to upgrade and unless we want to pay $700 for a phone, we will lose our unlimited data.

What's your answer, Verizon? How can you do this to your customers?