Re: HTC Rezound soft keys not responding?
Acer32

Add me to the list.  Ive done the reset, battery pull, everything, you name it and still nothing. I still have 9 months left on my contract and my warranty is expired.The phone is pretty much useless now. This is ridiculous! Unless this gets resolved soon, I'm done with Verizon. Lawsuit anybody?

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

What are you going to file the lawsuit for?

0 Likes
Bburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone here actually sent their Rezound phone to HTC for "repair".  If so, did it work? Cost?

Also, if anyone has actually replaced just the software in another way..... did that work?

Thanx

0 Likes
Bburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think there has been some consideration of a hardware problem... potentially something called the  "touch screen digitizer".  Even if your screen has not been cracked the sensors / digitizer underneath it may not be working.

I found this on Amazon for the DIY folks

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-Rezound-Screen-Digitizer-Replacement/dp/B006ORMHJA

there are "reviews" to look at there

and then, I went to this site where they can repair it if that's what's up.

http://www.doctorquickfix.com/HTC-Cell-Phone-Repair/HTC-Rezound-Repair/HTC-Rezound-Screen-Repair

I spoke with HTC this am and they said I can send and they will check it out and let me know the cost to fix... others here have speculated $90.  HTC said it they fixed it, it would come with a 90 day warranty for the same problem.

I'm not making any promises but it's worth thinking about.

I don't think VZW is going to give us any relief - at least we with with no insurance and out of warranty

0 Likes
epbiggs

I too have recently experienced my soft keys not working. It took about 2 weeks of slowly stopping, where I'd have to touch the buttons many times before they would work. Now they are pretty much useless, unless I want to take the chance of clicking them a million times and hoping it will work. My workaround is to remove the battery and replace it so I can get to the home screen. As I've searched around the internet, there are many people in the same boat with no fix from HTC or Verizon. I haven't even found where anyone from either HTC or Verizon has admitted there is a serious problem with this phone regarding the soft keys. >Comment deleted for violating the VZW ToS< or try one of the app solutions to add fake soft keys. Not sure what to do at this point, as my phone's warranty expired in May.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator><

0 Likes
bencook
Enthusiast - Level 2

Don't bother rooting your device. It is a hardware issue with the digitizer, the touch glass that sits on top of the LCD. The digitizer has to be replaced to fix the issue. If Verizon offers you nothing, which seems to be true for most of us, then you could replace it yourself.

Although it is tempting to just buy the $12 digitizer and replace that, from personal experience I would recommend spending the extra money (~$50) to get the digitizer+lcd pre-assembled. It is very difficult to line up the digitizer and make sure the adhesive is the right thickness and there is no dust etc during reassembly.

Replacing the digitizer will fix the problem.

0 Likes
epbiggs

FYI, I just spent an hour chatting with support and jumping through hoops... no help at all. No "tier 2" support on chat they tell me, so you can only reach tier 2 support by phone.

0 Likes
epbiggs

Has anyone confirmed that this replacement of the digitizer actually solves the problem? I would definitely consider it if I knew for sure it would solve the issue.

0 Likes
Bburg
Enthusiast - Level 2

BENCOOK

Where can I / we buy the pre-assembled digitizer?

0 Likes
epbiggs

Look at post 113 just a few posts above. However, I've not read anywhere that it actually solves the issue. I'm skeptical since this all started after the last OS update. Why would so many digitizers go bad at the same time?

0 Likes