Re: HTC Rezound soft keys not responding?
kwalwort

Add me to the list of irritated customers!  My soft keys began to fail about a week ago (I had to press them several times to get them to respond) and now they do nothing at all.  I have tried rebooting the phone, removing and replacing the battery, booting in safe mode, and finally, a factory reset.  None of these did anything at all to fix the problem.  As some others have said, this appears to be a problem with defective hardware.  The phone is about 16 months old and has been kept in excellent condition.  I went to the Verizon store and was told that I could buy a new phone or terminate my existing contract and begin a new one, receiving a new phone, but forfeiting my existing unlimited data plan.  Since I refuse to reward Verizon or HTC for selling me a defective device, it seems my only options are to go the next 8 months without a working phone or to start searching for a new carrier.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

While I realize it's still not the ideal solution, you could also purchase a used device from Ebay, Craig's List, or Swappa.  Just verify that it is a Verizon device with a clean ESN. 

0 Likes
kwalwort

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm currently polling friends and family to see if anyone has a device I can use.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have a reliable device DjSattva! We definitely value your business! Thanks for reaching out to us via a different support channel. I'm pleased you were able to review your options at one of our store locations. Please be aware we have the same options available here as we do in our other support channels. If your phone is older than 12 months and you don't have an extended warranty, our options are limited. Did the store advise you that you were eligible for an upgrade? If so, that would be our best recommendation. If you want to retain your unlimited data, you can purchase the device at full retail price anytime.

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi kwalwort,
We do not want to let you down! I would like to review your warranty options in more detail. Please follow me back and send me a Direct Message with your name and mobile number. I look forward to getting this resolved!

Thank you,

YaleK_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWsupport

0 Likes
erlen
Enthusiast - Level 1

Add me to the long list.   My soft keys stopped responding about 2 weeks ago.  If I get lucky, they do respond after 10 taps. My Rezound was kept in an Otterbox Defender case.  It looks brand new without any scratches, defects or water damage, I have tried all the suggested solutions to no avail.  The problem is not an App.   I did download "PieControl" App from google store as previously mentioned on this thread.  You can option the "home" key but not the "back" key because it is rooted.  Looks like no luck with Verizon or HTC.  Too bad.  I was going to upgrade to HTC One but forget it now.  Thinking about switching back to AT&T.  Pie Control does help because you can always get back to the home screen but a partially functioning phone is unacceptable for me.  I use this phone for business and home,  Very frustrating  because can't use the "back" soft key.  If anyone knows of an app that makes the back key functional please let the group know.  I am thinking iphone with applecare.  Too bad because I really like the Rezound with the 7 screens.  It is unacceptable that Verizon and HTC have not escalated this major problem for resolution.

0 Likes
jparknavy

Been having these issues for the last month or so, I've tried a new battery, done resets. Now all I do is keep pressing a dozen times or pull the battery.

UNACCEPTABLE.

I will be going to Verizon this week to probably get a "new" replacement under insurance. Can't upgrade until May. Silly me... I can't shell out hundreds for top of the line phones with a 2+ year lifespan.

Has anyone received a refurbished replacement?? How will that solve the problem since all rezounds have the same chance of this happening with the hardware??

0 Likes
macmi

Add one more Rezound that started to have the same problem about a week ago and it takes 20-30 touch if I am lucky to get response.  When it completely dies I will take out my old non-smart phone and use for the remainder of my contract.

I do not know if software or hardware as there is no mean of troubleshooting so not taking side.

With that said I agree with everyone else here that it is an issue that affect MANYYYY Rezound owners so Verizon/HTC not even looking into the problem is just going to infuriate everyone and more than likely you will lose the potential repeat customer and I would add myself to this list as well.

I have been a loyal Verizon customer for some time now and now will consider ATT (I am using ATT/Uverse for home phone/Internet/TV) as well as other vendor

One bad experience is all it take Verizon and once you lose the customer they tend not to go back.  That is the reason management always want to do rating and customer satisfaction survey so they can back up their claim of #1, blah blah.

Guess you had lost quite a few with this bunch.

0 Likes
timotheus2443
Enthusiast - Level 1

Mine have also stopped responding as of about two weeks ago, and now are completely dead.  Considering all of the possible software fixes (factory reset, safe mode, etc.) have been tried throughout the 15 pages of this thread the only thing that's left is that it is a hardware issue.  My bet is that the cable that connects the digitizer to the motherboard is somehow breaking and not allowing the soft keys to work, even while the rest of the touch screen does.  Of course, taking the phone to a repair shop will run you $100 or more, and trying to fix it yourself will both void the warranty if you still have it or make it so that you can't trade the phone in.  My warranty is expired, so I'm doing the repair myself.  If it works great, if not I'll just have to figure out something else.

One thing I've noticed reading through this thread, the problem always seems to happen about two months after the factory warranty runs out.  Coincidence?  I'd like to believe so, but who knows nowadays. 

0 Likes
timotheus2443
Enthusiast - Level 1

Following up on my previous post, it is definitely a hardware issue.  I went ahead and replaced the digitizer with a new one and it is working perfectly again.  Total cost was $50 (because I got the digitizer and LCD screen together) and about 20 minutes of time.

There was nothing that jumped out at me as being the cause when I was looking at the old digitizer, but my assumption is that it has to do with a connection breaking somewhere along the wire that connects it to the motherboard.