HTC Thunderbolt Battery Problems
doobiewondrsmke

OK, here's the issue I've been experiencing for the past month.  I take my fully charged phone off the charger, check my alarm for the morning, put the phone back in stand by and go to bed.  I wake up and the phone is completely dead.  Won't even turn on.  So it's back to the charger.

I only have 2 screens used.  I run the Google search widget, a clock widget, my calendar widget, and a weather widget.  The wallpaper is completely black, and the screen brightness is set to around 7%.  There should be no excuse for the battery drain when the phone is not being used.

I understand that widgets and other unecessary things running can cause a strain but my original Droid ran FAR more things and didn't have this issue.  Anyone else having the same problem? 

Personally I think some of the junk apps Verizon so kindly provided us with (sarcasm for those that can't catch it) should be removeable as I don't use any of them.  Seriously, zero!  These constantly run and even when I kill them they pop right back up.  I feel cheated.

0 Likes
Re: HTC Thunderbolt Battery Problems
AZSALUKI
Legend

that sounds like a defective battery. i know these batteries aren't great, but what you are describing is unusable. how long does it go during the actual day, when you are using it? only a couple hours? i would have returned it. since you can't do that now, i would at least demand a new battery and hope that it's just a bad battery.

0 Likes
Biased

I would definatly check into the battery. My Thunderbolt is great on the battery, even with atleast one widget running on each screen.  Sounds like you got a bum battery. I may also recomend purchasing one of the 1700 mAH batteries. It still fits inside the original space so no need for a new battery cover. I ordered one today from here 1700 mAH battery.

I will let you know how it works out.

0 Likes
ssilver

My battery life is also very poor, although sporadic. For the past 24 hours, I monitored battery usage with Android System Info . Starting with 92% charge, I rebooted, started Android System Info, and did not use the phone for 24 hours. The charge fell to 9% without me ever using it! The battery usage according to Android System Info battery stats were:

Maps 24%,

Cell Standby 26%,

Phone Idle 24%,

ES Task Manager 17%,

Android System 4%,

Display 3%,

com.htc.launcher 2%.

Any ideas what's going on?

0 Likes
Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1

Maps and ES Task Manager seem high. Seems like task manager is killing Maps and it keeps restarting using up power. While I use Google Maps a few times a day, I've never seen it show up in the list using any percentage. My cell standby and phone idle are usually around 20% and voice calls or display are the only ones that ever get above 30%. I'm running all stock, no task killers.

0 Likes
kjjones

This does sound like a bad battery. The battery life is not great for these phones, but yours is exceptionally bad.  I ordered the extended battery.  It does require a bigger cover on the back, but it does come with it.  The extra bulkiness is worth the extra battery life.  I can get throught a whole day of work without charging now.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

ssilver wrote:

My battery life is also very poor, although sporadic. For the past 24 hours, I monitored battery usage with Android System Info . Starting with 92% charge, I rebooted, started Android System Info, and did not use the phone for 24 hours. The charge fell to 9% without me ever using it! The battery usage according to Android System Info battery stats were:

Maps 24%,

Cell Standby 26%,

Phone Idle 24%,

ES Task Manager 17%,

Android System 4%,

Display 3%,

com.htc.launcher 2%.

Any ideas what's going on?

if your using the task manager to kill apps, then i would quit doing that. force close maps through settings--applications. then turn the phone off and back on and this time disable the app killer and see how it goes.

0 Likes
jeffpc
Enthusiast - Level 3

I thought turning it off would save some juice, not.  I epxect it is a hardware flaw, something that firmware may never fix if turning it off it still dies.  Some kind of design flaw in the circuitry is my guess. 

0 Likes
sweet_lizzie

My battery use to die after four hours. Now it lasts for 15 hours. I downloaded the app Battery Last and a task killer called TaskPanel. I'm still testing it out, but for the past two days, my battery has been great. I was considering the extended battery but now it seems like I don't need it anymore. All seven screens are filled. I even used my pandora for a little while and the phone still hasn't died. Try it out and hopefully it works for your HTC Thunderbolt as well :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

sweet_lizzie wrote:

My battery use to die after four hours. Now it lasts for 15 hours. I downloaded the app Battery Last and a task killer called TaskPanel. I'm still testing it out, but for the past two days, my battery has been great. I was considering the extended battery but now it seems like I don't need it anymore. All seven screens are filled. I even used my pandora for a little while and the phone still hasn't died. Try it out and hopefully it works for your HTC Thunderbolt as well :smileyvery-happy:

TaskPanel. is a helpful app and helps to identify heavy loads on battery..  Also I can say that the extended battery is a big plus to have..  I used mine heavyly for 46 hous and ended day with 40%..

0 Likes