HTC Thunderbolt, Mobile Hotspot and Ipad3 Issues
bwmaddox

Hello everyone hope you can help me.

I have an HTC Thunderbolt with the Hotspot feature.

I've used my Hotspot for a little over a year now, had a few issues but recently its been running great.

I work online, so its used a lot.

My issue: I have 2 laptops connected to the hotspot, both work fine.

I just purchased the New Ipad (Ipad3) Wifi edition, since I already pay for the mobile hotspot.

When I connect my Ipad 3 to the hotspot, it works fine for a little bit then the phone will loose internet connection.

This is only when the Ipad is hooked up to it. The Laptops work fine with it.

It was suggested i turn off the security, I did so, still no improvement.

Usuage usually lasts 5-10minutes then the phone looses connection. I can disconnect the Ipad, then reconnect and internet connectivity is back and the Ipad is back on for another 5-10 minutes. It stinks!

On a side note. my parent's MIFI is password protected and my ipad stayed on theirs for more then 2 hours with no issues, same with my Inlaws home based DSL wireless.

Issue must be in the thunderbolt. What do I need to do?

0 Likes
Re: HTC Thunderbolt, Mobile Hotspot and Ipad3 Issues
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hey, , isn't this question right up your alley?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have the exact same issue with my iPad2. On my laptop great for 98% of the time. The iPad, I lose my connection. I used to think it was the Thunderbolt, but now I think it is the iPad as I can shut off the wifi connection on the iPad and start it back and all is good again.

To counteract the issue and Since I have unlimited data, I run a radio station in the background while using the iPad so I do not lose my connection.

I will say one thing that has helped is to change the channel the hotspot is on. Default is 6 which most wireless router user use. I changed mine to 11 and that has helped reduce interference from other routers.

If you do not mind, I would like to forward your post to someone at VZW I have been working with on this someone at VZW.

0 Likes
Dcpmark1

Are you guys talking about the same thing? The OP is talking about the Internet connection disappearing from the T-bolt while tethering, and it sounds like you are talking about the wifi connection between the iPad and the T-bolt. Changing wifi channels to affect the ability to hold a wifi connection shouldn't have anything to do with the T-bolt's ability to hold an Internet connection while tethering.

I've had the the problem of the T-bolt dropping then cycling the 4G connection while tethering from the beginning, but in varying degrees. When I first got the T-bolt when it was released, I had no problems with the T-bolt dropping the Internet connection while tethering. I was in the unique position of using tethering with the same iPad 2 for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week at the same location. The first week was perfect, then on Friday of the first week I began having the dropouts and cycling. I figured it was network thing, and sure enough the following Monday it worked perfectly again. It continued to work nearly perfectly all summer, then in the fall I started getting the dropouts and cycling again. I replaced the SIM card, replaced the phone, and I still get the dropouts every day now. I've tried WEP, WPA, WPA2, and no encryption, and all fix the problem only temporarily. I've gone from an iPad 2 to the new iPad, and it's the same thing.

One possible theory is that these phones are simply not designed to run as hotspots for extended periods of time, heat up, and the excessive heat is what is causing the 4g connection to fail. This theory fits the symptoms of working initially, then failing after a certain amount of time. I was about to demand a phone change to see if that fixes the problem, but I see that people are reporting the same problems with the Rezound and the Razr. It may take a class action suit for all the people paying for service who can't access the Internet on a regular basis to get Verizon to address this problem.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I am thinking yes. Because when I would lose my iPad connectivity, I would reset the phone. NOW, I just turn off and on the wifi connection on the iPad and all is good.

Now when I am in a 4G service area, I never lose my iPad connectivity.

0 Likes
bwmaddox

Thanks for the input. Please forward this to whomever can help.

The Hotspot works great with the laptops I have on it. 99-99% reliable.

When the Ipad is on the hotspot, the 4G icon on the phone will just drop, or the left activity arrow will lock and i will loose net connection. The issue only pops up under IPAD use. when the Ipad is on the network the laptops are subject to the connection drop as well.

How would I change the wireless channel on the t-bolt hotspot

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi bwmaddox!  I know it’s important to be able to maintain a steady connection using the hotspot feature!  First, I’d like to thank the other community members for the feedback & suggestions!  This has actually been lifted up to our Product Support Team, and although I don’t have a fix as of yet, we are working diligently to provide a resolution.  Thanks, again, for your patience!  ^AT

0 Likes
bwmaddox

Thank you very much I look forward to your reply and solution. I can provide any info you may need.

<Full name deleted per TOS along with the extra content.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Dcpmark1

Ok, the latest update has so far completely solved my 4G cycling issues when tethering with my iPad 3. I couldn't be more pleased right now, and my only gripe is that it took 14 months since the initial complaints came out. That's too long. But thanks, Verizon, for finally making my MHS operate as it should!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

Dcpmark1 wrote:

Ok, the latest update has so far completely solved my 4G cycling issues when tethering with my iPad 3. I couldn't be more pleased right now, and my only gripe is that it took 14 months since the initial complaints came out. That's too long. But thanks, Verizon, for finally making my MHS operate as it should!

Smiley Sad I really hoped it would correct the issue for me, but unless I keep the connection constant, it is lost still after a few minutes.

0 Likes