Re: HTC Thunderbolt Random Shutdown
KateaW

This seems to be an obvious issue with the Thunderbolt! I have had my Thunderbolt for about 18 months and have had 3 replacements. My phone started randomly restarting its self a couple of months ago and each day it is getting progressively more frequent, now it sometimes just shuts down and doesn’t restart. I also experience the battery issues with the shutdowns and restarts.  I will have 75% battery, and then my phone will restart and only have 6% battery. Or it will shut off and I’ll turn it back on and it will have had a 20%-30% battery loss but if I try to use the phone at all it will say 0% battery and turn off. It has stopped giving me any battery warnings.  It is really frustrating to have a phone that turns off every 5 minutes! HTC and Verizon need to fix this issue!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

dmwesq, we want accessing the forums to be easy breezy for you. You can log into your My Verizon account online to access this forum with ease http://bit.ly/xB4iTc

The detailed issues that you've described with your HTC Thunderbolt device appear to be as a result of a software issue. Have you downloaded a few 3rd party applications to your device? Some application software can affect the performance of your device. I recommend that you uninstall a few applications and then power your device off/on to soft reset it. Keep us posted.

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well easy breezy would be nice, but I have logged in many times, and the only link to the forums I can find is still in the support menu at the top of the page, and I still ca't get past the registration screen that pops up.

As for the phone, I had already taken off all third party apps, done a factory reset and yet still have random shutdowns. All these mythical generic fixes Verizon reps throw out do not come close to resolving this issue. So I borrowed a phone from work, transferred my sim card to the Samsung phone, and voila - no shutdown of phone.

0 Likes
no_to_HTC

Try airplane mode. When my thunderbolt is not looking for cell service the

phone does not turn off. I'm on my 4th thunderbolt for this reason.

0 Likes
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Why on earth would anyone want to use airplane mode as a way of resolving issues like random shutoff. I am a big fan of actually being able to use my phone as a phone.

0 Likes
no_to_HTC

My problems started in may 2013. Read between the lines.

Edited for discussion of moderation as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Strangely enough, my Tbolt hasn't experienced a random shutdown since getting the ICS update(s) and I haven't bothered factory resetting the device yet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
dmwesq
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ann154, I am happy that your phone works and you have not experienced the frustration many others have. Obviously, not every phone exhibits this problem, but there are enough that do and one would hope one of the corporate giants involved would acknowledge the problem. Then they could move forward and try to resolve it. But so long as they keep denying the issue there is little hope for resolving it - can't wait until my new phone arrives in a week or so!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

dmwesq wrote:

Ann154, I am happy that your phone works and you have not experienced the frustration many others have. Obviously, not every phone exhibits this problem, but there are enough that do and one would hope one of the corporate giants involved would acknowledge the problem. Then they could move forward and try to resolve it. But so long as they keep denying the issue there is little hope for resolving it - can't wait until my new phone arrives in a week or so!

I had the reboot bug from an earlier update on the Tbolt. So I understand the importance getting bug squashed. Most of the users that come to the forum are ones with issues. There hundreds if not thousands of users out there that don't have problems with their Tbolt or don't realize they have an issue and just deal with it.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
no_to_HTC

I never never download any software from anyone on my computer or phone

except the manufacturer (HTC, Microsoft, Toshiba).  I know y experience this

is asking for disaster!!!!

The only download that ever got on this phone from the day it was purchased

(November 18, 2011 from Best Buy) was the update HTC/Verizon installed in

May 2013.  That is when I started returning phones to Best Buy for this very

same issue and my 5th Thunderbolt has the same problem.  I know it is the

"update" that is causing the problem.  I've had the phone in airplane mode

for two weeks and it has NEVER turned off and the battery is still charged

to 50% (after 2 weeks! Without plugging it in to the charger) .

There is nothing wrong with the Thunderbolt as an electronic device. It's

the software update.

Thank you for your concern.

Personal info removed as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes