Re: HTC Thunderbolt continuously drops all data.
farm0494
Enthusiast - Level 2

My thunderbolt recently began dropping all data; after software update to version 2.11.605.19 710RD.  But, I think it is Verizon service.  My mifi device also began having service issues.  I think verizon is trying to control data usage for unlimited users.  I don't think it is just a device issue.

Bogart56

I can say that it was caused by the last update that was received. Most of the problem comes from Verizon's 4g LTE network and maybe someday they will get back to fixing an already outdated network. Verizon is not the only one that is having this problem all major networks except Sprint are. I found a solution that helped me but don't know if it voids the warranty or not so i can't say here.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Bogart56 wrote:

I can say that it was caused by the last update that was received. Most of the problem comes from Verizon's 4g LTE network and maybe someday they will get back to fixing an already outdated network. Verizon is not the only one that is having this problem all major networks except Sprint are. I found a solution that helped me but don't know if it voids the warranty or not so i can't say here.

If the fix requires you to unlock the software to install it, it WILL VOID THE WARRANTY....

0 Likes
Bogart56

I did not unlock the software or root the phone whichever term you

wish to use. As far as i know it is specific only to the HTC Thunderbolt

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I wasn't trying to imply you did, all I was trying to do was clarify if the patch will void your warranty since you reported you was unsure.  If no unofficial modifications of security structure of your device then most likely you are safe that the warranty wasn't effected.

0 Likes
farm0494
Enthusiast - Level 2

An earlier post said to try an app that can change the thunderbolt between 4g and 3g.  I am trying an app called LTE-On/Off HTC Thunderbolt.  I have only used it one day, but I can actually see a difference in my service, especially at home where there is no 4g coverage.  I hope this fixes it permanently, but will post if not.  Why do the customer service reps act like they have no idea that this is a problem?

0 Likes
spacieb

You can actually turn off the 4G on your phone without an app.  Go to settings/wireless & networks/go into Mobile Networks /Network Mode/Change to CDMA only.  I have just switched this to turn off the 4G and I was actually able to open facebook quickly for the first time in about a month.  So probably not phone but Verizon's 4G network that is causing the issues.  All my apps seem to be working better, not as fast but at least not saying there is no connection now.  Thanks for the thought.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I agree with spacieb that you can access the menu to disable 4g without a 3rd party application...  Now as for question "Why do the customer service reps act like they have no idea that this is a problem?" it is really hard to say the reasoning around this but this is a practice with some companies.

If I had to guess it has something to due with the society we live in.  Possible Deniablity has been a practice for centuries because we live in a society that "law suite" and "class action" is first nature.  Not saying its right but it is common.

farm0494
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have not tried disabeling the 4g, but this app allows it to operate in 4g and change to 3g when I go out of 4g areas.  Would changing to CDMA only not allow it to go to 4g? thanks for the information.  Another thing to try if this app doesn't work.

0 Likes
spacieb

Changing to CDMA allows it to not go into 4G at all and stays in 3G mode. Saves on battery to so it isn't constantly searching if you are going in and out of 4G and 3G.

0 Likes