Re: HTC Thunderbolt shutting itself off?
UserID

My T'bolt also shuts down, it is usually on the charger when it happens.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Mine when chargeing for awhile since it takes awhile to fully charge. Overnight it shuts off then when I get up its off but who knows if it shut off after or while its charging it.
0 Likes
jeffpc
Enthusiast - Level 3

Exactly, we paid dearly for these phones, we paid a premium too, if amazon now sells for 130.00, I paid 250 here at verizon, and the phone has just too many bugs.  I really should be recalled, and replaced with something different.  I think if enough folks contacted those that care in our government maybe we can push for a recall. Sad.

0 Likes
Ol_crazyfeet
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have not had problems with my Bolt shutting off while charging.

Rather, it shuts off when not connected (over night). Even though the charge is 50% when I fire it back up.

Key common thread?

- It only does it at night

Do our Bolts update overnight? (then shutdown)

Do they shut down when no movement is sensed?

intensitytoo
Enthusiast - Level 1
Just posting to say mine has started doing this too after 5 weeks of owning it.

It seems to only do it off the charger and at night. It is just random. Sometimes it goes 15 minutes then shuts down. Sometimes it's two hours.

Glad to know more people are having this issue.
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Mine does it off and on while charging. When I turn it on it loses 10 -15%
0 Likes
MattP123614
Enthusiast - Level 2

yep... mine has shut off regardless of wether it was plugged in or not, moving or not, roaming or not, moving from tower to tower in my car or next to me while i sleep...

lets see...

i replaced my old LG chocolate with the thunderbolt cause the battery was showing its age. figured it would be a good excuse to get with the times and pick up a SMART phone.

well this so called smart phone is kinda dumb.

first, i bought a new phone cause the battery on my previous one just wasnt lasting as long. the thunderbolt isnt much better, if better at all. sure it is doing a lot more, but it is also brand new. this brings me to my first instance of it turning off on its own.

it was fully charged when i went to bed sunday night and when i wake up 6 hours later, it was off, and apparently the battery was dead. it was not on charge and somehow drained from 6 hours of inactivity. no calls, no texts, no emails, no apps running in the background (just the default basic email updates, weather, etc). well, the next day i somehow managed to get over 12 hours out of it, including calls, IMs email etc.

so i change the update frequencies of everything and only leave AIM signed on when im not with the people i would like to IM. its a shame i have to set the update frequencies so far apart since getting instant updates was one of the benefits of a smart phone i was looking forward to. its also unfortunate i cant seem to uninstall the factory apps i'll never use, like news, stocks blockbuster, kindle... theyre just taking up space in the long list of apps, and possibly running in the background when i dont want.

i put the phone on charge last night before sleeping and this morning i wake up and it is off... again... at least this morning i had a full battery. i went for a drive and when i got home, the phone was off again!! i can rule out the lack of movement theory because it was in the pants pocket of my clutch leg while driving a bumpy stick shift car.

ive only had the phone a week and this is very disheartening. i love the features and apps, but this is UNACCEPTABLE! i am not the person who lives off of their phone so i am not constantly checking it for directions, missed calls, emails or messages, let alone to see if the phone is even on or working properly! i have plenty of people in my life who are elderly or have jobs with a higher risk of injury or death. if anything were to happen to them i would like to know in as little time as it takes to call me, not in however long it takes me to notice my "smart" phone turned off on its own, wait for it to reboot, see i have a few missed calls and voicemails...

the whole "restart your phone", "reset to factory settings" and "remove 3rd party apps" is all **bleep**. that just says, "oops, our bad, not sure why thats happening, good luck" while they scratch their heads to figure out what went wrong.

im actually kinda missing my old LG chocolate :smileysad: it was a nice reliable phone. and quite good looking and compact too...

ywlam88
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got my HTC Thunderbolt two weeks ago and it's been shutting off RANDOMLY at any given time.....

Like many others, I'm glad I'm NOT the ONLY one experiencing this....

The last time it happened was 2 hours ago... when I tried to text someone back and it blacked out on me before I even got to type anything.....

I wish I kept my droid X............ I am considering on going back to Verizon on Saturday if the problem is happeneing again to RETURN this POS.... it's a great phone especially when I'm running it on 3G instead of 4G cause it conserves the battery for me like my Droid X... but I'm getting annoyed of this shutting-off at random times... it's like you DON'T know what to expect........ jeebus

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
@ywlam88
Verizon has a 14 return policy. If you return the Tbolt make sure you do it within that time period.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
donc13

It IS a problem, but NOT every Thunderbolt has this issue.    Mine did.   It was 100% stock, not rooted or anything.   After the update, it started rebooting on its own.   I tried the remove battery trick, didn't help.   Removed new applications since the update, didn't help.    Did the factory data reset....and it's been perfect since relative to reboots.

I do still get the phone showing 4G service but no data connect, and no fall back to 3G until I get out of the 4G area.    I may have found a fix for that too...  Hasn't been long enought to really test this out...but using the suggested ##778 (EPST edit mode) and I set the Preferred Mode to CDMA HDR and the Preferred Mode (9k) to HDR LTE mode.    Prefered had been at CDMA and preferred 9K had been at LTE only.

For the rest of yesterday....that seem to help A LOT.    But once I left work, I'm out of the 4G area, so hard to tell if it really helped or if it was just a quirk.    3G is fine, as it always has been.

0 Likes