Re: HTC Thunderbolt shutting itself off?
thisissilvr
Enthusiast - Level 1

yesterday i reached by boiling point with this phone i didnt spend hundreds of dollars for a phone that might as well be a paperweight.

i went to this verizon store, and was helped by a lady who had 5 teeth...nice and classy verizon!

i spent an hour of my time to hear "its a known problem and there "should" be an update for it in a few weeks"

so i guess we are just suppose to sit around with our thumbs jammed up an oriface that  i wont mention

i bet if i  wouldnt pay my bill for five months they would have no problem shutting my service off but since its their bad we are all suppose to give them time

NonaDee

My Thunderbolt  reboots all by itself at any time it wants.  The other day I was talking on the phone when it rebooted.  Today it has rebooted 3 times when just sitting on the coffee table with a full charge.  I did buy the extended battery from HTC.com so I have no complaints about the batter life anymore....just the rebooting.  I love the phone but there is just too many bugs.  I agree they should recall and replace!!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I understand your frustration over this issue and your need to have a reliable phone. We have escalated this issue to our product team and are working with HTC to develop a software release to resolve the power cycling issue. As soon as this issue is resolved, we will let our customers know. You will also be able to view software updates on our Thunderbolt support site here

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3
This phone has been out for months and your last update is what caused the reboots, so exactly why is it we have to suffer this your incompetence for months to get it fixed. Just another VZ rep with more **bleep** stories and lack of support.
0 Likes
BigPete

MarquiaF_VZW wrote:

I understand your frustration over this issue and your need to have a reliable phone. We have escalated this issue to our product team and are working with HTC to develop a software release to resolve the power cycling issue. As soon as this issue is resolved, we will let our customers know. You will also be able to view software updates on our Thunderbolt support site here

Are these support people for real?  This is a widespread issue that's been going on for 6 weeks.  Completely unacceptable.  What's worse is Verizons reluctance to at least give people a working temporary device until the issue is resolved.  Instead we are subject to a canned response from a support person every once in a while.   As much as I pay you guys every month, this is unacceptable.  If I were paying MetroPCS or Virgin Mobile rates, then I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

0 Likes
nathang
Enthusiast - Level 3

To be honest, your best bet is to just rely on the Android Dev Community instead of VZW and HTC.

I downloaded the leaked MR2 update and that fixed the reboot issue so far....(knock on wood).

VZW, just like most carriers, don't care.  

The community knows there is a fix and the community also knows that Gingerbread has already been ported to the Thunderbolt.  The only reason for the delay is corporate red tape.

0 Likes
mbrownx4

I am having a problem with rebooting over the last two days.  I have been in the car when it happened -both times listening to Pandora with a car charged and a cable going to the car radio.  New Thunderbolt by the way.

0 Likes
BigMac88

My HTC Thunderbolt started recently doing this this past month. Its very irritating to say the least. I am currently running the newest firmware, and am still having this issue. Bet this is why they are pretty much so giving this phone away now to new customers. Time to get on it Verizon and HTC and solve this issue NOW!!!

0 Likes
makecopies

I'm having this problem too. At least 4 times a day

0 Likes
letticeb01
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have been having this frustrating issue as well.  In the past 2 weeks i have talked to 6 customer service reps who keep sending me out new devices that apparently have the same problems.  I have been to my local Verizon store 3 times and they keep basically telling me i have to "deal with it."  What kind of mess is that?  My phone i have had it for almost a year now and it only started randomly shutting itself off within the past 3 weeks.  I don't know what i did or didn't do to make it start but i have NEVER had this problem before.  I LOVE, absolutely LOVE my Thunderbolt and i DONT want another phone, but if i can't get one that works, i am not only going to get a new phone but im going to another carrier.  I have been a loyal customer for almost 10 years and i pay almost 120 dollars a month for this service and paid nearly 300 dollars, that i didn't have, for the phone!  Its extremely frustrating.  It was only happening when i was texting or otherwise playing with my phone it would just shut off and not turn back on.  But if i plug it in and turn it on, then unplug it, its fine and says i have almost a full battery. So i thought it was the battery.  I took it to the store and they gave me a new battery, still didn't help.  So the guy told me at the store was to deal with it.  If it shuts off, plug it in for a few seconds and then unplug it.  Im like well what if i can't be near a plug then?  What am i supposed to do with no phone?  Thats ludicrous.  Now, i have lost 2 important phone calls because of its random shut offs.  But i am glad to see i am not the only one with this problem, it at least makes me feel a little better, also to see they are HOPEFULLY working quickly to get a fix for the phone.  Thank you all for posting your thoughts and opinions, they really help us to understand what is going on because it doesn't seem like their representatives do.  I guess ill hold out a little bit longer to see if this update they got going on will help, if not im GONE.