Re: Having trouble with the gingerbread update
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

NotoriousBILL wrote:

Sorry about that, it deleted the text following the No...  I never received the initial GB update. 

I took the phone to the local Vz store and they wiped it and "tried" to install the update.  It installed the same version as I currently have (2.2.1).  The Vz store offered to repalce my phone with another TB but could not guarantee if it will have the update orr not.  They recommended I keep my phone since it was in such good condiition....

I called HTC and they said it may take another 2-3 weeks before all TBs are updated.  After that, they said to call back. 

NotoriousBILL,

Sounds like the tech at verizon only did a factory reset which only reloads the current "factory loaded" software:smileysad:. What I was suggesting was asking (telling) them to install the latest RUU (Gingerbread 2.3.4; Software version 2.11.605.5). If he in fact had done this you would have the newest version available to the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt and if he was attempting to install the latest and it failed I for one would get the replacement (if tech service can't force flash the phone it probably will never see the OTA push either).

As your phone probably has been factory reset you could use the "google is your friend" approach to find the "official, stock, unrooted version" 

0 Likes
NotoriousBILL

RobB772 wrote:

NotoriousBILL wrote:

Sorry about that, it deleted the text following the No...  I never received the initial GB update. 

I took the phone to the local Vz store and they wiped it and "tried" to install the update.  It installed the same version as I currently have (2.2.1).  The Vz store offered to repalce my phone with another TB but could not guarantee if it will have the update orr not.  They recommended I keep my phone since it was in such good condiition....

I called HTC and they said it may take another 2-3 weeks before all TBs are updated.  After that, they said to call back. 

NotoriousBILL,

Sounds like the tech at verizon only did a factory reset which only reloads the current "factory loaded" software:smileysad:. What I was suggesting was asking (telling) them to install the latest RUU (Gingerbread 2.3.4; Software version 2.11.605.5). If he in fact had done this you would have the newest version available to the Verizon HTC Thunderbolt and if he was attempting to install the latest and it failed I for one would get the replacement (if tech service can't force flash the phone it probably will never see the OTA push either).

As your phone probably has been factory reset you could use the "google is your friend" approach to find the "official, stock, unrooted version" 

I sometimes wonder about these guys at Vz....  I specifically told them I wanted the Gingerbread update flashed to my phone....

Oh well the Android Police website has the download available ffor download....

0 Likes
NotoriousBILL

I dowloaded the official, stock, unrooted version and it works so far....  Pretty painless download and install.  

0 Likes
txtornado

I am having trouble with the ringtones after the last update push 10/31/2011 to android 2.3.4   Wondering if the android police download will fix the ringtone problem.  Does it void any warranty?

My contacts are set to ringtones, doesn't matter if it is custom or that ones that come with the phone, the ringtone will play for the previous caller when a new call comes or sometimes to default.

It has now happened on three phones with the new update.

0 Likes
Frudaddy

txtornado, the Android Police download is exactly the same firmware that Verizon pushed out, nothing gets fixed by using it instead.  Unfortunately for me, BAMF Forever is based off of the same update, and it isn't fixed either, yet, although Sense 3.0 makes the ringtones almost acceptable.  Still searching for the solution here.

0 Likes