How do we get rid of the ice cream sandwich update?
rballron

I have been having issues with my Thunderbolt since the ice cream sandwich update which only got worse with the second update ICS that said it would stabilize the system in early April.  My battery life has gone from bad to pathetic.  After 3.5 hours of doing nothing, the battery is over 80% drained.  Looking at what is using the battery shows that it is 90% system overhead (phone idle, etc), not apps or screen.  The phone is sluggish and unresponsive since the first ICS update, pressing buttons takes forever for the phone to accomplish a task.  The phone also shuts off on it's own, even when charging.

How do we revert back from this terrible "update"?

0 Likes
Re: How do we get rid of the ice cream sandwich update?
Not applicable

You can't. You may have tons of background processes going on you don't know about.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

You may want to try a system cache clear; see instructions here:

Support - ‎HTC ThunderBoltâ„¢ (Verizon Wireless)‎ Product Support - News & download

0 Likes
B33
Legend

+ 1  and as it has been Told many Moons Ago you can't get rid of it once your phone has Downloaded it.. b

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@rballron

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. It's truly saddening to hear that you have been experiencing these battery concerns with your device. I apologize at this time software updates are unable to be reverted.

Have you placed the device in safe mode for a considerable amount of time and then reviewed battery usage? http://vz.to/qT7Rt5. Please test.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
stackj

My phone is having these same issues. I thought I had battery problems so I bought a new battery. Nothing changed! Phone will cut off after a minute off the charger if you are using it and can't be restarted until I hook the charger back to it. I can't make a call off the charger as the phone will shut off before making the call. My phone works great before this update and nothing I have done has fixed these problems. I have even done a factory reset and no change. If this can't be resolved without costing me more money I will probably be a Sprint customer. None of these issues were brought on by me and I don't feel I need to purchase a new phone to have to fix them.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Do another one F.R but before you do that do a System Cache Clear then see what it Does and it might be your Sim Don't Count that Out..

0 Likes
stackj

I did the system cache clear first, I deleted as many apps as I could, I did a safe mode start and finally a factory reset. Like I said all was fine until the update and it has went downhill since. I first thought it was the two year old batt, but after installing a new one yesterday and no change, it is the software. It started by just being sluggish, taking 2 min to make a call, or after typing in something it shows up 10 sec later. Then it would just drain the batt in about half hour or less. It would steadily drop then all at once the batt would flash red then cut off. It finally would cut off even while hooked to the charger, the reason I thought a bad batt. Last night I put in a new batt and fully charged then cut it on, all was fine as long as the charger was hooked, once off the charger it would last about a minute on fb or the net then cut off. Cant power back up unless you hook the charger either. Tried to call my landline and would shut off before it would complete the call. Hope I don't need 911!!!

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Yea that is No good.. If you can and can't get the dice to Role again it just might be time to cash her in and get a new phone that is if you can.. Good Luck   b

0 Likes
rballron

Left it in safe mode for 9 hours and now in normal startup mode, with zero usage of anything except screen to see battery, it is acting somewhat better, with power level at 72% after 6 hours. With a load, it is still chewing through the battery. 75 min of streaming AUDIO after full charge brought me down to 14% and the system shut down on it’s own within a min. I rebooted and after a couple of min with no load it was then down to 9% and shut down. At that point, I recharged.

0 Likes