I got My Certified like - new Thunderbolth (it's worst)
Fox7Seven

Hi every one. Well I bought my thunderbolth back in march the day it was released.  I was pretty happy with it untill a few days ago, I found out that my  HTC Thunderbolth will not turn off the screen while i am talking on the phone. Meaning that when your put the phone to your ear to make a phone call the screen will go black so you won't make calls or something else by pressing it with your cheeks!... I went to my local verizon store and a gentlement took a look at it and compared it with other thunderbolth, and yes he found out that the sensor was/is bad. So he told me to call customer support for a warranty exchange.

So called and explained the problem and  the next couple of days I recieved a Certified Like-New HTC Thunderbolth to replace my original thunderbolth phone.

The phone they sent me  had  a new sim card. I called and activated the new sim card. Then I found that that the music playing on this "Like-New" phone the music sounded distorted so I switch back the battery to my old phone and played the same song and it sounded a little bit louder and of course really clear and crisp. The setting were the same. SO,  I then downloaded the latest firmware to the phone they sent me and it took like 1:30 mins to do so. I remember that on my original Thunderbolth it took not even 15 mins. So I am here all mad because my music was coming out distorted. THEN  a few hours after I noticed  that the phone they sent me had blue flash lights in the rear part of the phone WHEN my original phone has WHITE Lenses. So of course I took a picture and it came out blueish, I played with the setting spend an hour or so AND  I just end up  switching everything back to my original thunderbolth. 

So this is my final toughts; I don't like the blue flash lenses on the one the sent me, also something is wrong with the speakerphone of this thunderbolth. I mean if they can just repair the sensor of my original thunderbolth im happy with that.

I mean I can't take a picture because it will look all blueish, and on my original thunderbolth the pictures look so freaking good!..

What can I do, should i call customer support? And ask for another one? because I will not keep the one they sent me...

I got insurance on this ellphone if that helps.

Also if all this is not possible can I get a different phone instead?

Thanks in advance.

Fox7 

0 Likes
Re: I got My Certified like - new Thunderbolth (it's worst)
XenoGod2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently had gotten a certified like new phone too and I almost missed it, but there was a blue protective film on the flash itself.

When you got the replacement phone did you remove the protective film over the flash (they might also put it on the inside of the battery cover over the flash holes or on the outside over the flash holes)?

0 Likes
XenoGod2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

Forgot to ask earlier (but for some reason I can't edit my previous reply now) but does this speaker distortion occur during phone calls and/or during other applications (like pandora, skype) that might use the speaker?

If you installed any applications that might meddle with the speaker or audio output try uninstalling them and see if that helps. If it happens only when using one application but not others then it is possible that a hardware defect is not present with the current phone you have. Also it seems (from reading other posts) that during software updates old settings may sometimes remain and people have suggested doing a factory data reset to help (and people have commented this has helped in some cases).

Another idea I can think of is too try some different music or maybe apply volume leveling within media player (if you use that) to see if that helps.. I've noticed sometimes (like with my friend's two ipods, my HTC Aria, Sony Xperia X10 and even the thunderbolt) music that is too loud from the source (whether it be from the sound file or from the phone) when played can cause sound distortion. Usually I turn the volume down a little to compensate, but for practical intents and purposes I'm only suggesting this to help rule out external factors that may have affected the phone.

Either way if your thinking of asking for a different phone from Verizon I imagine it would be worth making sure that the problem is in fact with the phone itself.

As for the system update taking so long that could very well be a network related matter and not the phone itself. If you want to find out for sure there's some sort of internet speed tester on the android market. Using this several times throughout the day (figure it might take at least a several times throughout the day for a couple days just to make sure) should give you an idea if there is a problem with your phone or if the problem exists but only at certain times of the day and etc.

https://market.android.com/details?id=org.zwanoo.android.speedtest&hl=en

0 Likes
Foxseven

Thanks for your reply XenoGod2011.

Blue plastic protector was taken off before installing Battery and sim card. I looked closelly and there is no  blue tape  on the lenses. They are Blue. I don't know when they decided to make more Thunderbolths with blue lensess ( go figure).

And about the quality of the speaker sond: I update it everything just like my orgignal phone i even had it on the same settings. I  Love music since I was a kid and believe me I can tell the difference right away. I got that good ear (hehe)... But anywayz this seems to anoyyed me I have spent all this morning playing around with my camera settings and still I dont get the same great qualitty as with my Original phone.

I will talk to customer support in a few hours and see what they can do. I mean  if they can just fix the sensor of my orgignal phone im good with that. But it seems to me that if i got a certified phone I shouldn't be getting this distortion sound out of the speaker. I play the same exact songs and you can tell they sound a lil lower and distored.

ANd like I said both phones have the same exact everthing. (settings, firmware, etc.)

PS.- Now how many of you got a HTC thunderbolth with blue lenses?? 

Thanks Again. 

Fox7seven aka Foxseven NOW   -------------( they deleted/deactivated my account, .......go wonder) 

0 Likes
Foxseven

Ok blue lenses problem fixed: There is a protector tape/film ALSO in the inside of the batterty cover is a little tiny one that just covers the two lenses. At first i did take one off covering the lesnses but they also put on in the inside part of the battery covr that of course makes the lesnses look like blueish color.  Now I will maybe just keep the one they sent and passs on the qualitty on the music on this speaker. If you would listen to it and compare both my therbolths you will not noticed the difference unless you pay close attention to sounds and voices of the artist. I will continue to listen this and if this infact  gets to my nerves I will def call customer support. I will report back with updates.

Thanks,

fox7seven aka foxseven 

0 Likes
chuck07
Enthusiast - Level 3

I also just got a replacement thunderbolt. 

The battery lasts about half as long as my original one. I have the same radios on and power settings.

I also have a problem with the speaker. The regular speaker, the one at the top of the screen, is very distorted. Of course I need to get another one now. 

The only difference between the 2 is that my new one is running Gingerbread and the prior never got the update. 

Is there still the lemon rule, where you get a different phone if you need ore than three replacements?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

chuck07 wrote:

Is there still the lemon rule, where you get a different phone if you need ore than three replacements?

There is not a lemon rule.

0 Likes
XenoGod2011
Enthusiast - Level 2

These were posted on a couple other threads here (don't know if these links will work or not), but it looks like the answer is no... There is no lemon rule (at least not anymore if one did exist in the first place)

http://community.vzw.com/t5/General-Devices-Discussions/Verizon-Lemon-Policy/m-p/295498/message-uid/...

http://community.vzw.com/t5/General-Devices-Discussions/Lemon-law/m-p/449810/message-uid/449810/high...

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

there may not be a lemon rule, but verizon will typically contnue to replace your device if it is still under warranty. if you take it in and play the same sound on yours and there store model (pick the same youtube video or free music track from a service or something) and can show the rep that there is a difference, they will send you a new (certified preowned) tbolt. there are users that have had their devices replaced 5 and 6 times. if they sent you a bad one, they will send you another replacement.

0 Likes