Re: I hate this Thunderbolt and I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, I can't argue with ya. That's why I've always been a VZW customer. Their network is great, but not so hot in my area. Sure there are towers in rural areas, but those are always the last to get updated. And if you look on the map where I live, and where I travel... i'm not asking for much! It's not like I live in Southern Indiana where you have to travel by hot air balloon to get from town to town! I live Kokomo, and drive southeast to Elwood every day. South of Kokomo is Noblesville, which is 4G and is only 20min away. But it's of course closer to Indy, which is 4G. Beyond Kokomo, there isn't much. But due west is Lafayette, home of Purdue Univ. I'm not sure if they are 4G, but they should be simply because of the university. To the East of me is Gas City and it's an hour away. So, the "band" that I live in is sort of a weird area for sure. And I'm sure the goal for VZW for all towers to be 4G. My point is, there are still TONS of 1X towers around and we're now on 4G. It could be YEARS before those are 4G, and by then, it'll be something else, and then those towers will be lagging.

I have no clue how a tower works. But you'd think that the brains of each and every tower could be "flashed" by Verizon once they all have the right equipement to do so. That would be great. VZW could just beam a signal and immediately upgrade their networks. But I'm sure it doesn't work that way.

I should go to the Speedtest.net site and check my speeds in various places. I've never done that on a cell phone.

I will say that a good strong 3G signal is pretty fast for me. And when I get the chance to be on a 4GLTE network, it's darn near Wifi speeds. Very impressive! So, it's frustrating when you live in an area that is SO CLOSE to other 4G markets, and you don't have it, and you don't know when you ever will!

0 Likes
mjay

how do you spell class action law suit the lawyers smell blood in the water

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

jpoprock1 wrote:

For the record... I'm not going to just "throw out" my phone. I'm willing to wait it out a bit though. I have yet to call VZW about the problem, because I already know what to expect. They'll want me to do a hard reset, and we all know that won't do anything. So why waste the time doing that?? If they were willing to just cut to the chase and send me a new device, or even a refurb, that would be great. We all know that the refurb will do the same thing as the one I have now, so if I end up going thru 4 or 5 refurbs chasing a known problem... maybe THEN they will let me get a different phone.

I would prefer to stay with Andriod, but I'd like to get the show on the road either way. I want to buy a BlueTooth headset for my device, but maybe If I knew I was going to get a different model, I would choose a particular BT device? OR maybe it wouldn't matter? I also would like to apply my Bestskinever skin,but not if I'm going to send this phone back. And then if I go thru a bunch of refurbs, applying the skin would be a waste (they are only like $8.99, but still).

All I want is a device that works that I can enjoy, get my skin/case/BT established for, and be happy.

If the iPhone battery life is horrible, and hard to swap out, then I wouldn't like that either. You have seen an iPhone haven't you??? There is no removable battery without voiding the warranty... Although, I am a Mac user... so I could dock it while I'm at work no problem. I would have to have the largest capacity iPhone, which would be salty. And I don't want a white one.

Can AT&T iPhone 4's be made to work with Verizon if they are jailbroken? No, Verizon and AT&T run on 2 different networks, and the phones are not interchangable. My buddy has one w/ AT&T and wants to get a new phone. So he'd sell me his for cheap I bet. However, I don't think it will work on the VZW network without a bunch of hassle. No, It won't work at ALL. Hassle or not, the phones are simply not compatible

From this post, it sounds like you're just trying to dump your TB for an iPhone 4.... Don't let Verizon reps know this, as this is a huge issue with them. Everyone and their brother is doing everything they can to get their hands on an iPhone 4, and Verizon knows it.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

jpoprock1....there's an app called speedtest.net......you can use it. you don't actually go the site from your phone, but just use the app....if you're curious as to what kind of speed you get. i get 1.5-2mbps download speeds on 3g in phoenix. my dsl at work is about 7mbps and my cable internet at home is about 10mbps. my LTE is consistently 20+mbps....lol. it's pretty ridiculous. however, there are sites that get hung up when i try to access them on 4g....particularly (and ironically) google. there's a few others too so i usually leave it on 3g.

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Yes, I know all about the iPhone in great detail including the non-removable battery. But as I said, mine would likely be docked most of the day anyway, so It would always be charged.

And I only reference the iPhone because many of my friends either have those, or the Droid X or Incredible. I will say that MANY of my iPhone friends have shown Thunderbolt envy. Anyway, I reference the iPhone only because my friends that have them don't have any problems. The only reason they like my phone is because of the screen size. Personally, the iPhone display looks just as good, but it is smaller.

It DOES sounds like i'm trying to ditch my Tbolt for an iPhone, but honestly that is not my intention. I have a lot invested in this TBolt, so switching would be silly. I just want my phone to work. I got a whiff from the people at the local VZW store (who are SUPER cool to me), that it's virtually impossible to move from the Tbolt to an iPhone. That it's a very sensitive issue with them, and I'm not sure why. Probl because VZW doesn't make as much profit on iPhones.

Like I said, I just want to enjoy and trust my phone, and I can't. I hate it that it reboots all the time, and sometimes in my pocket it will suddenly get really hot and I'm not sure why? I'm going to send it back for a refurb, but I expect the same problems over and over. That's what bothers me the most.
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

jpoprock1 wrote:

Like I said, I just want to enjoy and trust my phone, and I can't. I hate it that it reboots all the time, and sometimes in my pocket it will suddenly get really hot and I'm not sure why? I'm going to send it back for a refurb, but I expect the same problems over and over. That's what bothers me the most.

God man don't send them your perfectly flawed Thunderbolt for a refurb. If you hate your Thunderbolt now you will want to go postal on the refurb. Just hold out for the next update and hope it gets better. Refurb is a terrible idea...

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well, I can pick one that has helped me the most. But really, there IS no solution to my issues. Not yet anyway. A solution would have to come by way of a VZW update. And only until I don't get 3-4 reboots a day will I be satisfied.

So, do I take away from all of this that the issue is specific to the Thunderbolt, not all 4G Androids. SInce I don't live in a 4G area, I can turn 4G off. No biggie. That actually HELPS. So, is it the PHONE in 4G/CDMA mode that is causing the bad handoff's, or is the problem with the towers in my area, or both?

In other words: living in the area that I do, is there a good 4G phone that will run fast on 3G and not reboot and drop data connections all the time? I'm sorta regretting that I didn't get the Droid X or the Incredible. My friends that have those phones have nothing bad to say about them. But they are 3G phones, not 4G. Maybe my mistake was buying the "very first VZW 4G phone" when it came out, rather than waiting until they worked out the bugs for other 4G phones.

Thanks
0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well here's the sitch... my display is ruined by sweat. It was horrible at first, but now it's settled down to as good as it's going to get. It's acceptable, but "unacceptable" in that I have a "non-perfect" phone. I was told that since it was caused by sweat, it's not a warranty issue and that I'd have to pay $99 to send it in as an insurance claim. I was also told they would send me a brand new phone because it was an insurance claim. But then I also read that may not neccassarily be true either. That I could still end up with a refurb. I'm not going to pay $99 for a refurb. I'd rather not mention the bad display and focus on the rebooting to get another, for free. If I were guaranteed a BRAND NEW PHONE for $99 then I'd likely do it. And if I could talk them into letting me change models for something of similar value (they told me at the VZW store that if I plead my case just right, and requested a phone that made sense, they'd likely do it). I'd likely try to get the Droid Charge or maybe the Incredible 2 if it's out. (and yes, I'd take a stab at getting an iphone first=).

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

jpoprock1 wrote:

Well here's the sitch... my display is ruined by sweat. It was horrible at first, but now it's settled down to as good as it's going to get. It's acceptable, but "unacceptable" in that I have a "non-perfect" phone. I was told that since it was caused by sweat, it's not a warranty issue and that I'd have to pay $99 to send it in as an insurance claim. I was also told they would send me a brand new phone because it was an insurance claim. But then I also read that may not neccassarily be true either. That I could still end up with a refurb. I'm not going to pay $99 for a refurb. I'd rather not mention the bad display and focus on the rebooting to get another, for free. If I were guaranteed a BRAND NEW PHONE for $99 then I'd likely do it. And if I could talk them into letting me change models for something of similar value (they told me at the VZW store that if I plead my case just right, and requested a phone that made sense, they'd likely do it). I'd likely try to get the Droid Charge or maybe the Incredible 2 if it's out. (and yes, I'd take a stab at getting an iphone first=).

That makes more sense for a replacement then but stop mentioning the screen to vzw. If they say you need a replacement for your reboots or heating up then let them send a free one. As for switching to another phone I have done that, I went to the Charge from the Thunderbolt. I do like it better than the Thunderbolt because it works and it doesn't do weird stuff all the time but it is a 4g phone and you're still going to have low battery life ( compared to 3g ) and connection issues especially if you're not in a 4g area. My opinion is get switched out for a nice new 3g phone and wait for a 4g once you have it in your area and the kinks are worked out. 

0 Likes
Karuk

I received a CLNR last friday because the verizon techs told me I needed a new device. The CLNR looked fine but it had the soft power button (no click). About an hour after receiving the CLNR my phone started working on 4g again after 12 days of no 4g service.

I'm keeping my original phone because it is better than the CLNR.

If y ou take a CLNR be sure you inspect the device and use it for a couple days. If you find even one issue I suggest y ou return it. Make sure you get a solid refurb.

0 Likes