Re: I hate this Thunderbolt and I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
So, no matter what the VZW reps in the store said regarding insurance vs warranty, I won't get the new phone like they said I would. That is worth a trip back to tell them they are wrong then. They said my phone was an insurance claim because my sweat soaked into the phone and messed up my display. There are bright. white spots on the display. My text floats over it like a layer. So, its not a warranty issue. It's my fault for sweating on my phone during a long conversation while outside. They swore up and down that via insurance I would get a new in box phone, but I guess not. looks like I'll be going thru refurbs like mad until my contract is up. Which is the story of my life with VZW phones. refurbs always end up being buggy. But ill send them back as many times as it takes. Someone on the Droid forum said that with reboots.. .the problem is third party apps not jiving with the Rom, causing reboots. That uninstalling them usually fixes the problem. The question is, how do you know what those apps are? One guy is going to resethis phone and not install any marketplace apps just to test this. I'll let you know what he says.
0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well, I call Asurion to submit an insurance claim for my phone (due to the sweat getting inside the phone and spotting the display badly). I had a really nice woman on the other end, so I hypothetically walked her through my situation. Essentially yes, they will send me a CLNR. But she said that she would request that I be sent a "brand new" phone. She said that the order gets sent to the warehouse and they just pull one and ship it. Her "request" may actually get considered and someone may go and actually pull a new one. Or maybe not. Many people request new phones and don't get them. She said if they didn't make my model anymore, or were out, that I could upgrade it for something "like it", but she wasn't going to let me do that no matter how hard I plead my case. I explained to her that I have two issues, one that is warranty (constant reboots) and one that is non-warranty (Display). If either way I'm getting a CLNR, why pay $99 when I could get one under warranty for free? The answer is simple: I have 7 days to return the phone to Asurion. If I open the box and it's a CLNR, I send it back, they refund my $99 and the claim doesn't count against me. After that, I call VZW and complain about how buggy this phone is, and they'll send me a CLNR for free. If I'm going to get a CLNR, and it'll likely be junk, why pay for it? I used to have an LG Voyager, but got 4 CLNR's in two years with that thing because of the stupid charge jack. Right at the end of my contract, the keyboard light went out. So instead of sending it back (which I should have), I just went and got a new phone. I got the Crapberry Tour 9630 (which at the time was a great phone to get). That turned out to be the worst phone I've ever had in my life. I dealt with that thing for two years, and ended up with 4 CLNR's on it because they would all end up flipping out, freezing, having scroll wheel problems, etc. I was miserable with that phone. So, about a week before i was eligable for my new phone, the scroll went out. They wouldn't let me go ahead and upgrade, so I sent off for my 4th CLNR, got it up and running, then a few days later went in and bought the Thunderbolt. Now it seems I'm going to end up on the path of constant CLNR's, providing they don't send me a brand new one. I'll gladly pay $99 for a brand new one though. Then hopefully VZW addresses the issue with this stupid phone, and it starts working properly! It rebooted twice on me this morning, just sitting idle on my desk. I even uninstalled a bunch of app's like TaskKiller, and some others that I don't use, and it still just reboots. The other night at a concert, I handed it to my buddy who has the Sprint EVO, and said, "Feel how hot this thing is from being in my pocket in sleep mode". He couldn't believe it and said that wasn't right. I've got an extended life battery that at first was great, but now it loses it's charge quickly. I have all GPS off, and my screen as dim as possible too. So, I just don't know. I have no idea why sometimes the phone gets really hot, and other times it doesn't. I'll say this much, I can't wait until the end of 2012, when I have the opportunity to actually get a GOOD phone that works and doesn't have all these issues. I've never NOT had a bad phone in all my years with VZW. Pretty sad really. j
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

jpoprock1 wrote:
After that, I call VZW and complain about how buggy this phone is, and they'll send me a CLNR for free. ever NOT had a bad phone in all my years with VZW. Pretty sad really. j

And then you likely get charged ~$300 or so for submitting a water (sweat) damaged phone.

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
So, even thought my phone works, and the display works just fine, that would constitute a charge like that? So you're saying that because my phone is both possibily bad, and has sweat damage. When they looked it over at the store, they said that clearly it wasn't water damage in the typical sense, but sweat (which they said is common for touch screen phones). But that's still considered "water damage" then? I can't remember the criteria for warranty phones, but I have no doubt your'e probably right. So, I have no choice but to take the CLNR non-warranty phone I get, or, send it back for a refund and take my chances on my phone either lasting me the duration of my contract (1.5 years), or the display going out completely (which would then be a non-warranty claim)?
0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

jpoprock1 wrote:
So, even thought my phone works, and the display works just fine, that would constitute a charge like that? So you're saying that because my phone is both possibily bad, and has sweat damage. When they looked it over at the store, they said that clearly it wasn't water damage in the typical sense, but sweat (which they said is common for touch screen phones). But that's still considered "water damage" then? I can't remember the criteria for warranty phones, but I have no doubt your'e probably right. So, I have no choice but to take the CLNR non-warranty phone I get, or, send it back for a refund and take my chances on my phone either lasting me the duration of my contract (1.5 years), or the display going out completely (which would then be a non-warranty claim)?

No matter what, if you have ANY damage (water, scratches, dents, anything like that) when sending it back, you will be charged full price for the phone. You cannot do a warranty replacement on a damaged phone. You should have gotten a warranty replacement BEFORE it got water damaged if it were acting up.

Also, it is Verizon's policy to send CLNR phones for warranty and insurance replacements, you will not get a brand new one. The deductible for insurance replacements is to cover the cost of the CLNR phone.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

jpoprock1 wrote:

they will replace undamaged phones because they can take yours back and try to fix the software and turn around and sell it as a CLNR. since yours is damaged though (besides the bugs in the software), they can't do anything with it except trash it. you are likely stuck with the insurance route.

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well... you'll never believe it, but my NEW IN BOX phone showed up today! They told me to use my old SIM card and keep the new one too. I didn't think it through, and once my phone got up and running, pretty much all of my app's reinstalled. So, if it was an offending application causing the reboots, I'll never know. I'll have to do a factory reset and somehow prevent my old app's from installing unless i want them to. I think there is a setting for that, but turning it off now won't do any good. It was on by default I think. That's why my app's showed back up. But, thankfully I got a brand new phone. I'm gonna apply my BestSkinEver to it right away. I sure hope I don't have reboots. I still need to turn 4G off though. I will note the new phone has the same exact software installed as the old phone EXCEPT the new phone has a PRL number of 15011, but my old phone shows it as just a 1 ???? I'm running Andriod Version 2.2.1 Baseband Version 1.16.00.0402w_1 Build# 1.13.605.7 CL341545 Software Number: 1.13.605.7 PRI: 1.41_002. 1.64_002 PRL 15011 So far I haven't had any crashes. But quite honestly.... I expect they will come. I'll keep you posted. jason
0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I don't see where you mark a question as answered! I've clicked on Options, etc.. I can't find "mark as solved" or anything like it. The only thing I see are Kudos.
0 Likes
budone
Legend
Your old phone will show 1 as the PRL as you removed the SIM card
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

you can't "solve" a thread that was started by someone else. not to burst your bubble, but how do you know it's not a certified preowned? they ship them in the exact same fashion (new box, accessories, etc). it may very well be new....but i've always been curious since i got a CLNR for my wife last year and couldn't tell in any way that it was preowned. good luck with this one!!!!!!!!!!

0 Likes