Re: I hate this Thunderbolt and I can't take it anymore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Karakul wrote:

I received a CLNR last Friday because the Verizon techs told me I needed a new device. The CLNR looked fine but it had the soft power button (no click). About an hour after receiving the CLNR my phone started working on 4g again after 12 days of no 4g service.

I'm keeping my original phone because it is better than the CLNR.

If y ou take a CLNR be sure you inspect the device and use it for a couple days. If you find even one issue I suggest y ou return it. Make sure you get a solid refurb.

Once you start the cycle it seems to never end because every refurb you get will be under a microscope. Seriously if your original has no physical damage I would keep it. Getting and sending back refurbs is a pain and a liability. One of the main reasons I took a Charge is because I was so sick of talking to VZW reps, doing resets, and setting up phone after phone. 

0 Likes
Karuk

I'm keeping my orig thunderbolt. CLNR went back today.

I have to say that the phone itself has been awesome other than the 12 days it would not work on 4g. Battery life isn't the greatest but I had the HTC Incredible so I was use to it. I have 3 replacement batteries I use when I travel. I keep it plugged in at work when I can. 

I have 2 offers to trade my Thunderbolt for a 16gb iPhone4. I was 100% certain I would when the thunderbolt wasn't working correctly. Now that the Thunderbolt is working as it should I may decline the offers. 

Have the 4g speed is worth dealing with battery issues. 12 days outages is another story. People don't realize how different a smart phone is with 10-29mb download speeds. 

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
I was under the impression that I would have to send this phone back if I went the insurance route? I know that when you go the CLNR route, you have to send the old phone back. So, if I get a new phone under my insurance plan due to the display, I don't have to send it back? I guess what would be the difference like if I accidentally stepped on it, or dropped it in the toilet? WOuld then want a smashed phone to be sent back? LOL. Probl not.

My thing is, if the Insurance program sends you legitmately NEW Phones, then I'm going to do that. They told me at the VZW store that It would be just like the day I bought the Tbolt. It would come with the charger, battery, everything. New in Box.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The phone belongs to the insurance company if you get it replaced so one of them would have to go back.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

jpoprock1 wrote:
I was under the impression that I would have to send this phone back if I went the insurance route? I know that when you go the CLNR route, you have to send the old phone back. So, if I get a new phone under my insurance plan due to the display, I don't have to send it back? I guess what would be the difference like if I accidentally stepped on it, or dropped it in the toilet? WOuld then want a smashed phone to be sent back? LOL. Probl not.

My thing is, if the Insurance program sends you legitmately NEW Phones, then I'm going to do that. They told me at the VZW store that It would be just like the day I bought the Tbolt. It would come with the charger, battery, everything. New in Box.

You have to send back the old phone with a warranty replacement but you can hold on to it for about 5 days before sending it back. I you tell the insurance that you lost your phone and you keep it the only benefit might be that you will have an extra battery. But if you don't tell insurance you lost and that it's just an issues with the screen they will ore than likely want it back. I would expect the warranty or insurance units to both be refurbs. 

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
Well, If I tell them I lost it, I'd most certainly get a CLNR. But if I tell them it's a display issue, which is legit, then I would expect to get a brand new one. If they tell me that there is no way I'll get a new one and it has to be a CLNR, then I'll likely throw a hissy fit and demand to either get a new one, or have them allow me to switch phones. If I'm paying $100, I'm not going to do so for something refurbed... especially since I can do that now for free.
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Don't plan on getting a new phone from VZW or Asurion ever. It just doesn't happen unless the phone is like days old on the market. Your Thunderbolt is months old and many claims have been made. If I was going to put money on if you were getting a new of refurb I would bet on refurb and just wait for my winnings to come in. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

jpoprock1 wrote:
Well, If I tell them I lost it, I'd most certainly get a CLNR. But if I tell them it's a display issue, which is legit, then I would expect to get a brand new one. If they tell me that there is no way I'll get a new one and it has to be a CLNR, then I'll likely throw a hissy fit and demand to either get a new one, or have them allow me to switch phones. If I'm paying $100, I'm not going to do so for something refurbed... especially since I can do that now for free.

You should probably read those terms you agreed to.  They reserve the right to give you whatever they want.  And if it's a screen issue, that would go through VZW under warranty and not insurance without a deductible.  Either way, they're still not likely to give you a new phone.

0 Likes
DbG2514
Contributor - Level 3

With CLNR replacements you do have to return the defective device within a certain amount of time. If you don't expect a bill that has $299.99 on to pay for the device that they sent you to replace the phone. If you say you lost the phone to get a new phone, you would have to pay $99 to get the phone replaced and your old TB would get put on a negative list and you would never be able to activate the phone again because it is suppose to be lost.

also with the CLNR program it isn't a new device, CLNR stands for certified like new replacement so it is a refurb phone that you will get.

0 Likes
jpoprock1
Enthusiast - Level 3
So, no matter what the VZW reps in the store said regarding insurance vs warranty, I won't get the new phone like they said I would. That is worth a trip back to tell them they are wrong then. They said my phone was an insurance claim because my sweat soaked into the phone and messed up my display. There are white spots on the display. My text floats over it like a layer. So, its not a warranty issue. It's my fault for sweating on my phone during a long conversation while outside. They swore up and down that via insurance I would get a new in box phone, but I guess not. looks like I'll be going thru refurbs like mad until my contract is up. Which is the story of my life with VZW phones. refurbs always end up being buggy. But ill send them back as many times as it takes. Someone on the Droid forum said that with reboots.. .the problem is third party apps not jiving with the Rom, causing reboots. That uninstalling them usually fixes the problem. The question is, how do you know what those apps are? One guy is going to resethis phone and not install any marketplace apps just to test this. I'll let you know what he says.
0 Likes