I've noticed with the extended battery pack for the Thunderbolt, even without useage, it gets quite warm and stays warm. The regular battery never did this. Any comments?
fletcher55

My Thunderbolt recent had an extended HD battery installed.  After charging overnight, with NO usage, the battery is till quite warm, almost HOT to the touch 4 hours after taking it off charge.   Anyone have similar issues?   The larger battery definitely lasts longer...this one is only 3 months old.

0 Likes
Re: I've noticed with the extended battery pack for the Thunderbolt, even without useage, it gets quite warm and stays warm. The regular battery never did this. Any comments?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi fletcher55. I'm glad you're getting the extra battery life out of the extended battery. It is pretty normal for a phone to get warm while charging or in use. I double checked for any known issues on extreme heat on the Thunderbolt with an extended or standard battery and the good news is that the phone seems to have no other reports like what you've mentioned. Where did you get the extended HD battery from? If you're using a battery or charger that was purchased from a third party (not Verizon Wireless or HTC) there's a better chance there may be some extra warmth to the device that may even cause the phone to malfunction. If it continues to get extremely hot, I would recommend returning the battery to the place of purchase. If it was at a Verizon store, please make sure to bring the phone, all your batteries, and chargers with too.

Thank you
JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
Re: I've noticed with the extended battery pack for the Thunderbolt, even without useage, it gets quite warm and stays warm. The regular battery never did this. Any comments?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

My extended battery doesn't get hot like from just sitting around.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

mine doesn't either. did you buy a new one from verizon or htc? if you got one on ebay or somewhere, it may be generic or defective.

0 Likes
lemew
Contributor - Level 3

Thunderbolt sometimes has overheating issue.  It may be an application or it may be that you are in a low signal area.  There are apps in the playstore that can help you monitor what app is using too much processing power.  Mine will get hot on the extended or regular battery but usually only in low signal area.

0 Likes
Nyobie_B
Contributor - Level 1

I've used both batteries - standard (the one that came with the phone originally) and a Seidio extended battery.   When I charge either starting with a low battery level, the phone gets a little warm but not as warm as it gets when I stream netflix for example.  After the phone reaches full charge, the phone temp drops down to what seems to be around room temp.

If the phone heats up and stays warm after full charge and say, an hour after full charge is reached, then there's something going on that's causing a power loss (power loss occurs in the form of heat).  That's not normal.

0 Likes