ICS Update Caused Sound Issues
mc_jamie

I just received the ICS update last night (at 3 a.m. - thanks for the heads up on that VZW...), and now when I make & receive calls the user on the other end can only hear me if I use my speaker phone.  Is anyone else having this issue?  Ideas on how to resolve it?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: ICS Update Caused Sound Issues
bricon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, you guys are not going to believe this! I found someone who had the answer, at least it worked on my T-Bolt. This gal (I assume because user name is Joy11) called Verizon customer support and they told her to go to (ready for it?) Settings-Call, scroll down to Other Call Settings and unclick the Hearing Aids check box. I just did that, sure enough it was checked, unchecked it, and made a call. Phone worked. Person could hear me just fine.

I have absolutly NO idea how that box got checked. It had to have come that way with the ICS update. When I woke up Friday morning and saw that the phone was updated, I did not goof with it but went on with my morning routine. It wasnt until I tried to call a client that I found he couldnt hear me. I cannot believe how much aggrivation and time I have put into this ******* problem and how close I came to doing a Factory Reset or <Comment deleted per the ToS.> phone.

I promised on another forum that I wouldnt rant about Verizon, HTC and sneak attack updates until I got my phone fixed. If you will excuse me, it's time to go and fullfill my promise. I have plenty to say.

Heres a link to my thread about this on Android Central   http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt/251157-phone-mic-dead-after-ics-update.html

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nicholai42

I don't have an answer for you, alas, but I am having the exact same problem. Thanks to you though I have discovered that turning on the speaker phone at least allows me to use my phone. So far I am not a fan of this long awaited update.

0 Likes
bricon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm with you guys too unfortunatly. I can make calls, and hear who answers, but they cannot hear me. Like you, i switched to speaker phone which worked. Since then, I have used my headphone/mic, and all of my Bluetooth speaker devices which all work well. That's what I'm doing now but I'm not happy with it to say the least! I checked my AndroSensor app and the on board phone mic IS working, although I have no idea what dB level it would normally be, never had to check before.

That leads me to believe its a software issue with ICS. I got ICS'd (new term) last night at 3am too. Totally blindsided. There are always BAD BAD problems with these updates. Now I cant talk to anyone without headphones or Bluetooth equipment. Sorry, no answers, just info and frustration. Glad I finally found someone else with the same problem (sorry). Might get fixed if it's not just me.

0 Likes
Fonzoid

Same problem here.  Did not approve upgrade just happened overnight, now can only use phone on speaker mode.  Haven't tried the bluetooth and headphones yet, will try.  This is going to be a deal breaker for me with Verizon unless this gets fixed ASAP!   Anyone tried going to Verizon yet?  I never download upgrades until I check around to see if issues are happening like this.  I am way ticked off that they did the upgrade without my approval!   Any other suggestions anyone?

0 Likes
robt62

Having the same problem. I have been using my blue tooth head gear with no problems.

0 Likes
bricon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fonzoid and others, No fix yet, but after massive Googleing, vast majority of techno phone geeks are saying a factory reset WILL fix our specific problem, as well as other crap that came with this to me forced on me ICS update.(sorry, will rant later). One guy reports he had this problem and factory re-set fixed it until he started re-storing his installed apps. Some app (or more) make the problem re-appear, so he wiped again and is re-installing apps slowly one at a time until he finds the one that's causing it. Could be multiple ones. I asked him to let everyone know when he finds it. This is the link to his thread on Android Central where I started a thread on this problem.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt/251157-phone-mic-dead-after-ics-update.html...

Bottom line, i'm now looking for advice on how to do a Factory Reset with minimal damage and effort to reset up the phone. Will report back when (if) I find the best way.

0 Likes
Tedch

I had the same problem.  Went to the Verizon store and they did a factory reset which fixed the audio problem. 

0 Likes
bricon123
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wow, you guys are not going to believe this! I found someone who had the answer, at least it worked on my T-Bolt. This gal (I assume because user name is Joy11) called Verizon customer support and they told her to go to (ready for it?) Settings-Call, scroll down to Other Call Settings and unclick the Hearing Aids check box. I just did that, sure enough it was checked, unchecked it, and made a call. Phone worked. Person could hear me just fine.

I have absolutly NO idea how that box got checked. It had to have come that way with the ICS update. When I woke up Friday morning and saw that the phone was updated, I did not goof with it but went on with my morning routine. It wasnt until I tried to call a client that I found he couldnt hear me. I cannot believe how much aggrivation and time I have put into this ******* problem and how close I came to doing a Factory Reset or <Comment deleted per the ToS.> phone.

I promised on another forum that I wouldnt rant about Verizon, HTC and sneak attack updates until I got my phone fixed. If you will excuse me, it's time to go and fullfill my promise. I have plenty to say.

Heres a link to my thread about this on Android Central   http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-htc-thunderbolt/251157-phone-mic-dead-after-ics-update.html

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Fonzoid

YES!!!!   It worked with me also.   I was scared to death I would need to factory reboot to fix.   No need to reboot, this did it.

This update without approval was not the way to treat customers.  I huge stain on Verizon.   I shouldn't go on right now or carrier switch could happen, might happen anyway!    Thank you again for the help. 

0 Likes
mc_jamie

Thank you: 

This worked for me without having to do a factory reset!!  You were a lot more helpful than the guy at the Verizon store who just tried to get me to upgrade to a new device early... ugh.

Thanks again!  Hope this works for the rest of you!

0 Likes