ICS update caused serious mail issues, and poor overall performance.
Johnnybob
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife and I both received the ICS update about a week ago and we've had different experiences. My wife's phone has performed pretty good with only a slight performance issue. Mine on the other hand has been quite painful.

Mail Issues.

I have noticed the biggest issue with Mail. For over 2 years, I've had 2 or 3 mail accounts I've used without any issues. Since the update, anything I do in mail is met with slow response times, sometimes 1 to 2 minutes or more. Shortly after the update, I cleared out all cache and temporary files, and removed all deleted mail as well. And, I never keep any mail in my inbox at all after I've read it.

The biggest issue I've found is that when I click on the accounts list at the top of the mail program, mail will completely hang and not respond. This is where you can select each account individually, or select all accounts. The list just stays there and won't go away until I hit my home button. Since I had removed all but two accounts, I decided today to go down to just one account. Even after only having one mail account, and restarting the phone, it does the same thing. It just hangs when I click the accounts drop down. Eventually, I will get a message that the mail program has stopped responding, and I'm asked if I want to kill it, which I gladly do.

The other issue is overall performance. Since the update, anywhere on the phone, I have very slow response times. Before the update, my phone was lightning fast in all programs. I've used the new Task Manager feature to see what other jobs are running. When I've had these problems, I always shut down all tasks, but I still have the same issue, no improvement. I've read where the only solution is to do a factory reset, but I've also seen where that hasn't solved issues. Since I'm at the end of my contract, I may just switch to an I-phone since I have one for work and don't have these issues.

Has anyone else experienced what I have, and does anyone have any solutions besides a factory reset?

Thanks.

John.

0 Likes
Re: ICS update caused serious mail issues, and poor overall performance.
speedwater

I have also experienced painfully slow response time to ALL activity on my phone since the update to ICS. Like you, I thought my phone was quick enough when opening apps, or general navigation through the device. No more!

I have noticed some apps don't work anymore such as one of my Mail apps (yahoo mail keep crashing so I uninstalled it).

0 Likes
cdsemloh
Enthusiast - Level 2

Not happy with the fact that Verizon updated automatically to ICS.  I went to use my phone and the update was running.  Took forever.  I also had to uninstall my Yahoo mail account and then reinstalled it.  seems to be working now.  But looks like I have to learn how to use the phone all over again.  Went to answer a call and didn't realize I had to drag the 'answer' button into the little circle.   Don't care for that at all!  And the phone is slower than it used to be.  What's the deal Verizon?  Have been a customer for 9 years and you are getting worse instead of better.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Johnnybob,

I appreciate you bringing this to the attention of the forum. I truly want both you and your wife to have a positive experience with the Thunderbolt and the new update.

I have provided a suggestion that will help towards the overall experience of the software update.

• Turn fast boot off following the instructions below:
  • With the device powered on, select Menu > Settings > Power
  • Uncheck the box for Fast boot.
  • Wipe the cache partition by following the instructions below
  • Power off the device
  • While holding the Volume Down key, press the Power button to power the device up in bootloader mode.
  • Using the Volume Down button, select RECOVERY
  • Press the Power button to select the RECOVERY option. Device will reboot into a black screen with a red exclamation mark in a red triangle atop a device graphic.

• Press Volume Up and Power button to get into the Recovery menu.
  •  Using Volume Down button, highlight the Wipe cache partition option.
NOTE: Be sure that **Wipe cache partition** is highlighted. Do not choose Wipe data/factory reset as this will result in loss of data!
  • Press the Power button to select the option
  • When the process, is complete, ensure that Reboot system now option is highlighted.
  • Press the Power button to select the Reboot system now option to reboot the device.

Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
0 Likes
tterlyn

I agree with you. My phone is doing the same things. very slow no power no internet connection at home,  I have to be out in the world to get it. Then it stops and jumps to Facebook or something else. dropped phone calls. Facebook doesn't work properly. bad bad .. the circle to answer the phone is juvenile.

0 Likes
Johnnybob
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for your suggestion. I've tried every step you gave exactly. It has made no difference whatsoever.

I'm assuming my only last chance is to do a factory reset on the phone. I've uninstalled almost everything I can think of.

And here's a new twist regarding the mail performance. I uninstalled ALL mail accounts, then rebooted the phone. I went back into mail and got the screen to choose which type of account I wanted to add (Exchange, Gmail, etc.). The phone locked up entirely for at least 4 to 5 minutes. Nothing I pressed would release this screen. I tried cancel, home, and pressed everywhere on the screen, no difference. I've re-added a mail account, and it's the same as before. Extremely slow response everywhere within the mail application, totally unacceptable.

I also have to add that on occasion I'll get a message when I'm doing absolutely nothing that says that Mail has stopped responding and has been stopped.

Any other suggestions other than a factory reset? And if I do a factory reset, how to I get it programmed back with my phone number and mail account and such? The Verizon tech did this when I purchased the phone for me. Is this something I can do? Or, will it remember those settings?

Thanks.

John.

0 Likes