Ice Cream Sandwhich update, now power button wont work?
walker820

my phone updated to ice cream sandwhich while i was asleep. and now whenever my screen goes into sleep from timing out, it wont unlock. power button/unlock button will not work. i tried downloading apps that will let me use the volume rocker to awaken the phone. nothing works. the only way to use my phone now is to leave the screen on never sleep mode. which kills my battery within two hours. i tried factory resetting the phone, to no avail. still having this problem. i went to the verizon store, and that is what they told me to do. with no promises it would work. i searched for other problems, and found nothing. phone worked perfectly fine untill update. help please?

0 Likes
Re: Ice Cream Sandwhich update, now power button wont work?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the power button just stuck?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
walker820

No it isn't stuck. The power button pushes freely and as well as the day I got the phone. like I said, in my original post, I honestly think it has nothing to do with the button itself, as verizon keeps trying to tell me. My phone will not exit sleep mode. Unless I plug it in, or get a phone call to force it open. Like Isaid, I have tried apps to use other means to unlock it. It just wont unlock.

0 Likes
Uncle_Mark

It's probably too late, but I thought I would drop this in here, just in the event it helps anyone in the future.

My sister has a droid cranberry. Last month, April, 2013, after an update, her phone would not power on/off properly. Then it got to the point where it would not power on/off at all. Or, even come out of sleep. She thought she had broken the button since the phone works fine, if you attache it to the USB power cable. Still won't shut off, but when plugged in, at least the screen comes on. Luckily, it was stil covered under the warranty so I had it replaced.

Here's the kicker. Before sending the "defective" phone back, I used the Settings-Privacy-Factory Reset to blow out all of the contacts/apps/music etc... At the end of the process, the phone reboots. When i went to unplug it, I hit the power button and suprise, it was working again. Plugged in or not, I can now power off / power on and wake the phone from sleep as if nothing happened.

So, my suggestion for those having issues with the power button after an update, to save all of your stuff, and then try doing a Factory Reset. Again, my sister's phone still worked if plugged in. You might not be that lucky.

0 Likes