Impression of HTC Thunderbolts vs the Motorola Droid X
Wildman
Legend

This is just a opinion from using the device for about a week since I received it since (07-16-2011) 10pm..

• Camera Quality

In comparison I can openly say that the Thunderbolt has a great quality on the camera compared to the images that I could get from the Droid X, now don’t get me wrong because the Droid X wasn’t a bad camera and the quality was nice but after placing the images side by side the TB exceeds the image in comparison.

• Screen Quality

I believe the quality of the Droid X and the TB has a very similar picture quality in some aspects. the Droid X has a noticeable brighter screen but the TB has better color so I would say that the comparison will depend on the user

• Screen Size

Really did not think the small difference in the screen size would effect me any but after using the Droid X at a aspect of 4.3 (480x854) for a year it does seem a but different to the 4.3 (480x800) aspect of the TB because of the buttons at bottom being part of screen but I am sure that after a bit of tweaking I can get use to is because actually other than the images and text being a bit larger the screen difference isn’t really noticeable.

• Sound Quality

The Droid X has a loader sound when I ran the GB Equalizer but the TB sound is load and clearer but simply isn’t as load when using equalizer app and I am sure once Gingerbread hits on the TB the sound will be even better, hope this happens soon because I am feeling strange not being able to use some of my apps that are GB supported only..

• Performance

There is a noticeable difference in the devices performance under some situation, apps opens faster on the TB and the Sense UI still runs smooth as I remembered but some situation like the menus scroll speed and windows transition the Droid X has the TB beat but I am believing this is do the UI configuration not the device.

• Internet Access

Internet access isn’t a issue for me on the TB unlike the issues that users have reported on a repeated bases with the Droid X which recently I starting to notice also…  Pandora Radio has not pauses between songs like I noticed with the Moto X and the connection hasn’t went dormant once on the TB, also connection for Pandora is almost instant when I open it where with the Droid X I recently can open the app and place it in my pocket and then after a few minutes it would starts playing.

Also I cannot forget the ability of being able to Talk on phone and search the web, man this is nice and the device does it flawlessly for me.

• Signal Strength

Now this is where the device has really confused me, the signal strength on the TB is rather weak compared to the Droid X but this is the weird part, everything web base moves twice as fast with one bar on TB than a full signal on the Droid X, I have made crystal clear calls with one and at times no bars where the Motorola wont complete calls at one bar..

Still scratching my head on this one.

UPDATE on this situation I learned that HTC configure the setting file for the signal meter to misread the level of the reception, I suspected this may be the issue because I still had quality reception when the device said I had no reception at all, after testing the signals db and identified a app to give me a more reliable signal meter that appears to be reliable to use but to bad I cant hide the stock meter..

• Battery Life

I really am surprised of stock battery life after a full bump charge on the device because at first impression the battery life does not appear to be as bad as reported so far but I did buy the extended battery and that battery is incredible, the other day I used Mobile Hotspot for a few hours with two laptops, talked on phone while on hotspot for about a hour and then did some research on a number of things through out the day and after 12 hours the battery ended the day with about 48% left so I can say I have no complaints here…

Now with all this being said I would say both devices have it positives and negatives, also I still love my Droid X even with its flaws but the conclusion of which device works best for the user is up to them but for me I am happy I made this decision and if for some reason I get upset with the TB I still have other trusty Droid X..  :smileyvery-happy: but for the moment the photo quality, the sound quality and not to forget a fast data connection I may can figure out if the reception is a programming design or a bug?

0 Likes
Re: Impression of HTC Thunderbolts vs the Motorola Droid X
B33
Legend

Sounds very good wildman. an that post outa the Ball Park Home Run.!

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I agree about the signal my dads x is always better.
0 Likes
B33
Legend

Wildman does your T-bolt have the same processor as the Evo 4G

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
It is the same size processor, but a newer model on the Tbolt. I believe it was discussed in more detail in one of android site reviews.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Well the reason i ask ann the Processor that's in Evo is the same as my Incredible has. But i asumed that you all had alittle newer processor in the T-Bolt.

I was over in wichita Earlier Today an they were haveing there 4G launch Party at the Corperate store on Maize Road they went full on yesterday. An today at the party they were giving away gifts an the Samsumg Charge ,

the 4G mifi , an accouple other things. an they had Beer koosies ,Screen protectors ,Pens, they were giving away free. got me a koosie but not for beer,a pen ,an a screen protctor an i registered for one of the prizes :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

EVO 4G and Incredible has the QSD8650 1Gig chip and the Thunderbolt has a MSM8655 version....   Totally diffrent version..

0 Likes
B33
Legend

I was thinking that there would be a difference in the two.  an when you said the T-bolt loads alittle faster than your X on the web My incredible does the same it'll load the web a wee bit faster than Birtha.

0 Likes