Inconsistent Data, GPS - No resolution,
BoulderMarine

I have been a long time Verizon customer 10+ years.  I have 5 lines and have an average monthly bill of 250.00. I have 2 smart phones on this plan.  Until recently I have been happy with the service provided.

I upgraded to the Thunderbolt the day it was released. This has been the worst decision I have ever made. My Verizon experience not only has been frustrating its been completely unacceptable!!! This big cooperation has become untouchable  In my experience Verizon has designed there customer service process to discourage their customers from reporting or expecting resolution. Verizon will apologize every time you call, their front line tech support or customer service will try to help but their hands are tied. They are not allowed by the untouchable Management and policies to actually resolve a problem.

I have been trying to get acceptable performance from the thunderbolt for 8 months. From day one I dropped calls, have intermittent to no data, have intermittent to no GPS / Navigation service. I have called "customer service" countless times. I have waited for numerous updates. I have replaced the phone 5 times. I have installed 2 network extenders (one at work and one at home) I have replaced the sim card 2 times. There have been numerous "trouble tickets" Not once have I been notified of the result or been contacted by any one from Verizion. The "trouble ticket" will be labeled resolved or taken care of but he issues still have not been resolved. This has b I just installed the latest software download (11/5/2011). Three days later I am still experiencing the following.

1. The GPS  will not acquire position consistently. When I use navigation it will say "acquiring position" indefinitely.

2. Data is inconsistent. I work in a extended 4G area and live in a 3G area. Data is still inconsistent at best. Phone will not log on to internet or navigate multiple pages with out dropping data connection. 

3. Dropping calls. I will drop call more than 3 daily. I drop calls to Verizion customer service regularly and have to start call over. Dropped on today from my home on the network extender.

My phone is the only 4G phone on my plan. My Thunderbolt is the only one that drops calls. I have a Droid X on the same family plan that works flawlessly. It has little to no data issues, No GPS issues or call dropping on or off the network extender. When the Thunderbolt and the Droid X are together the X will work and the Thunderbolt will experience all of the listed issues.

I have made countless calls to customer service and tech support. I have never been allowed to talk to, consult with or been contacted by an actual manager that has any decision making authority. After 8 months I have to start over with a different Verizon representative every time I contact Verizon. This type of run around is standard Verizon policy.

Verizon has done the following to compensate me for my troubles.

A. 1 month credit for data plan after 7 months of complaining.

B. Sent Bionic - This phone is worse than the Thunderbolt. After 15 days of troubleshooting, over 15 hours on the phone, Countless different Verizon representatives.

I have been notified of the following.

TECH SUPPORT CAN SEE  DATA CONNECTION BEING DROPPED FROM THE NETWORK. THE PROBLEM IS IN THE NETWORK AND I CANNOT USE A 4G PHONE IN MY AREA.  I NEED TO HAVE A 3G PHONE TO RESOLVE THE ISSUES I'M EXPERIENCING.

C. Verizon will down grade me from a 4G to a 3G at no charge. With the exception of the new Iphone 4S. To get the Iphone 4S you must be eligible for an upgrade. I am not eligible for an upgrade as the Thunderbolt was purchased 8 months ago The same phone that I was told will not work is the reason I cannot get a phone of my choosing.

The Bionic was sent at no charge. I did not ask for a free Bionic it was offered when I requested refund for services not being provided. After finding out the Bionic has additional /worse problems. I assured Verizon I had no intention in keeping the Bionic and would like to return it. I was informed. Its past the return date and I have to keep it. Also that the contract renewed and will  not be eligible for upgrade for 18 months. I informed Verizon of my intent to switch carriers. It will cost over 1000.00 to buy out my contracts.

All I asked for is to be provided the service I am paying for. If that service cannot be provided the contract should be terminated.

Can any one give me advise how to proceed.

0 Likes
Re: Inconsistent Data, GPS - No resolution,
budone
Legend

Depending on where you are in Longmont, 4G coverage is sketchy to none available.Which you see.

As for data, have you tried the recommendation that was made for my data issue on the TB. What was offered worked for me.

0 Likes
BoulderMarine

Thanks for your response. 

I am told there is no solution by tech support and that I need to go to a 3G phone. I offered to pay for Iphone at contract renewal price and renewed my contract. I'm told, "You not eligible for up grade". I'm locked into contracts from purchase of the same 4G phones that will not work. I have been trying to fix the issue with Verizion for 8 months.....The solutions provided have not resolved the issue. To make matters worse it has extended my contract. Had it not been for my "4G experience" I would be eligible. Am I crazy? Is there not a simple solution. Return all 4G merchandise and terminate associated contracts and I will finish out my contract. Or allow me to get a 3G device at contract renewal price I believe this matter would have been resolved if the decision makers were not untouchable. I had been a happy Verizion customer for over 10 years. I had little to no issues and no need to call or deal with customer support. I am now a very dissatisfied customer. I'm shocked at the horrible level of customer service. I'm completely disgusted with the entire experience. 

How do I get around the wall of customer support and communicate with Verizion Management?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
If you purchased the Thunderbolt at the "two year contract" price on the day it was released (March 2011) then you need to reach 20 months of your contract before you can purchase a new phone at the "two year contract" price.

Otherwise you can purchase a different phone at full retail price or locate a used one from ebay or elsewhere.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
BoulderMarine

I was told by Verizon I cannot use a 4G phone and the issue is with the network. Why am I being held to a contract for service that not only is it not being provided it admittedly cannot be provided. Is it just me? Maybe I'm too close to the problem to see it. Why should the 4G phone contract stand if it has not and will not work?  

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly. I don't want anything for free. I don't want out of a contract completely. I'm more than willing to continue the contract previous to getting the Thunderbolt. I don't believe I should be held responsible for circumstances out of my control. If the Thunderbolt worked I would have been happy. If the Bionic worked I would have been frustrated with the last 8 MONTHS but overall satisfied. Neither device works as advertised. Verizion admits they will not work and I need to go to a 3G phone. I still have a Droid X. I didn't want to sell it until the Thunderbolt worked. Its been 8 months. I want to honor the contract associated with the purchase of the Droid X. The phone prior to the Thunderbolt. Explain why I need to go back to a phone prior to the Thunderbolt and honor a contract associated to the Thunderbolt.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Have you tried switching to CDMA-only mode under settings-wireless & networks-mobile network-network mode?  Also you can try editing your network settings by dialing ##778, choose Edit Mode, enter 000000 as the passcode.  Select Modem Settings and switch Rev. A from eHRPD  to Enabled.  Then hit the menu button and choose Commit Modifications.  Your device will reboot and it should pretty much operate as a standard 3G phone with those two settings.  As for GPS, do you have all 3 options checked under Location in Settings?

0 Likes
motoryder
Contributor - Level 1
When I had issues with the gps, verizon worker told me to use an app called gps test. Ever since I used that app my gps has connected in like 3 seconds.
0 Likes
BoulderMarine

Yes, All GPS locations settings are active. I leave the GPS on it seems to do better with it on all of time however it still will not maintain a consistent known position. Will your suggestions to reconfigure for 3G only work for the Bionic? Verizion asked me to use the Bionic today. 

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

PJ's instructions are for the Thunderbolt.....perhaps a Verizon rep monitoring this forum can check if the procedure for the Bionic are the same.(or faster yet, try calling verizon customer service and ask for technical assistance forcing CDMA only on the Bionic)

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

BoulderMarine, I would first like to apologize for the time spent trying to fix your issue. As a consumer myself I recognize that your time is valuable. I reviewed your issue and want you to know that we truly care about your long time business and want you to have a working device in your area.  We also do our best to trouble-shoot an issue when it occurs so that your service and phone are functioning properly. Within your post, I read that you had trouble-tickets filled out and spoke with technicians who figured out the issue and gave you a resolution (activate a 3G device). With this resolution, I see by your post that you were offered a 3g device we would choose for no charge. I see in the post that you declined this offer because you want an iphone. I can understand after all the problems you have experienced,you simply want a working phone and suspect the iphone will work the best for you. I assure you that we have many 3G devices that will work in your area and resolve your issues and the phone that our technical support representative have as replacements will work great as well.

We are unable to provide you with an iphone but can discuss other phones that will work for your needs. I hope you will allow us the opportunity to keep you as a customer and provide you with a wonderful device. I'm sure all the necessary information discussed with you is noted to your account so that when you’re ready to discuss our devices you can simply contact our customer service team.

Please keep the community posted with information regarding your issue and how the new device is working. 

0 Likes