Is HTC ONE Pre-Unlocked?
GoHurdler
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello All,

I recently purchased the HTC One for Verizon Wireless at full retail price.  Since I purchased the phone at FULL RETAIL price to avoid the loss of my unlimited data plan, I called Verizon, and their regular customer service department transferred me to Verizon’s Global Department. When I spoke to that department representative and told her that I purchased the phone at full retail price and I wanted it unlocked. The rep said that since the phone was 4G LTE that it was already unlocked and that I could use it internationally. Since I didn't have an overseas micro SIM card to test it with, I told the rep again, that I wanted it unlocked to use with any carrier since I paid full retail period. The rep kept stating the same thing about the phone already being unlocked. The rep then said, that they didn't have the unlock codes because the phone was too new and that I needed to call HTC and get the code from them.

I called HTC and their rep told me that they can’t unlock phones because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. I told the HTC rep what the Verizon Global Department rep told me about the phone supposedly already being unlocked and also about how they didn't have the unlock code.  The HTC rep told me that the phone would be locked to Verizon, and that Big Red is sent the unlock code for every phone. I told the HTC rep that I wanted a three-way call with Verizon’s Global Department. He called and was told the same thing about the phone already being unlocked etc. The three-way call did not happen.

Does anyone have a straight answer about this? Is the HTC One for Verizon Wireless pre-unlocked for use with any carrier's micro SIM card because its 4G LTE or do I need to call back and demand to speak with a supervisor? I don’t want to travel to Mexico or any other international destination and get screwed by having to use Verizon’s service there.

Again I purchased the phone at the FULL RETAIL PRICE so it is NOT a subsidized contract phone.

This is NOT referring to the bootloader!!

Thanks,

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Is HTC ONE Pre-Unlocked?
willzzz88
Enthusiast - Level 3

All VZW 4G LTE global phones are pre-unlocked. The VZW rep is correct.

HTC doesn't know what its talking about because they don't know VZW's policy.

The simple answer if you want to test it is to borrow a friends AT&T or T-Mobile SIM or activate a prepaid SIM on AT&T (GoPhone) or T-Mobile and use it.

It doesn't even need to be activated, if you attempt to dial out and get AT&T or T-Mobile's customer care/voice switch it means it worked.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
GeorgeCT
Contributor - Level 2

GoHurdler wrote:

Hello All,

I recently purchased the HTC One for Verizon Wireless at full retail price.  Since I purchased the phone at FULL RETAIL price to avoid the loss of my unlimited data plan, I called Verizon, and their regular customer service department transferred me to Verizon’s Global Department. When I spoke to that department representative and told her that I purchased the phone at full retail price and I wanted it unlocked. The rep said that since the phone was 4G LTE that it was already unlocked and that I could use it internationally. Since I didn't have an overseas micro SIM card to test it with, I told the rep again, that I wanted it unlocked to use with any carrier since I paid full retail period. The rep kept stating the same thing about the phone already being unlocked. The rep then said, that they didn't have the unlock codes because the phone was too new and that I needed to call HTC and get the code from them.

I called HTC and their rep told me that they can’t unlock phones because of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. I told the HTC rep what the Verizon Global Department rep told me about the phone supposedly already being unlocked and also about how they didn't have the unlock code.  The HTC rep told me that the phone would be locked to Verizon, and that Big Red is sent the unlock code for every phone. I told the HTC rep that I wanted a three-way call with Verizon’s Global Department. He called and was told the same thing about the phone already being unlocked etc. The three-way call did not happen.

Does anyone have a straight answer about this? Is the HTC One for Verizon Wireless pre-unlocked for use with any carrier's micro SIM card because its 4G LTE or do I need to call back and demand to speak with a supervisor? I don’t want to travel to Mexico or any other international destination and get screwed by having to use Verizon’s service there.

Again I purchased the phone at the FULL RETAIL PRICE so it is NOT a subsidized contract phone.

This is NOT referring to the bootloader!!

Thanks,

Every carrier locks their phone.

As far as unlocking it, it gets very complicated. 

Verizon Wireless, Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, and U.S. Cellular use CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access)

AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM (Global System for Mobiles)

A lot (not all) of European countries use GSM but you also have to know what frequencies they use and if your phone has the those frequency capabilities.  Even then your may not have access to 4G LTE.

Check out this article http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-sim-unlock-usa-201564/

It can explain it better than I ever can.

0 Likes
GoHurdler
Enthusiast - Level 2

GeorgeCT wrote:

Every carrier locks their phone.

As far as unlocking it, it gets very complicated. 

Verizon Wireless, Sprint, MetroPCS, Cricket, and U.S. Cellular use CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access)

AT&T and T-Mobile use GSM (Global System for Mobiles)

A lot (not all) of European countries use GSM but you also have to know what frequencies they use and if your phone has the those frequency capabilities.  Even then your may not have access to 4G LTE.

Check out this article http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-one-sim-unlock-usa-201564/

It can explain it better than I ever can.

Yes, I know what CDMA and GSM (and that basically the rest of the world uses GSM) are. I didn't ask what what are CDMA and GSM. Please re-read my question. Also, the link that you provided was not about a Verizon Wireless HTC One. The article was written a few moths prior to the release of the HTC One on Verizon Wireless.

I'm getting three different answers from Verizon Wireless and HTC combined. Verizon tells me that the HTC One is already unlocked because it is a 4G LTE unit, and that there is no unlock code for it because it is too new. HTC One tells me that it is locked and that they send unlock codes for every phone to the carrier.

0 Likes
GeorgeCT
Contributor - Level 2

The phone is locked.

Call customer service and ask for a supervisor, explain that you are leaving the country and you want to be able to use your phone on that countries system (therefore it needs to be unlocked).

They can either help you out over the phone or direct you to a corporate Verizon store that can help you out.

0 Likes
GeorgeCT
Contributor - Level 2

More specifically, ask for a  simlock unlock.

0 Likes
willzzz88
Enthusiast - Level 3

All VZW 4G LTE global phones are pre-unlocked. The VZW rep is correct.

HTC doesn't know what its talking about because they don't know VZW's policy.

The simple answer if you want to test it is to borrow a friends AT&T or T-Mobile SIM or activate a prepaid SIM on AT&T (GoPhone) or T-Mobile and use it.

It doesn't even need to be activated, if you attempt to dial out and get AT&T or T-Mobile's customer care/voice switch it means it worked.

0 Likes
Babush

I'm in the same situation as you. I'm planning to buy a pre-unlocked HTC one and was going to travel abroad in a month. Did you manage to get your unlocked HTC one working on Verizon? Did you have to call Verizon to get it working or did it just work off tha bat

thanks

0 Likes
Ilovelemon0925

As others have mentioned it is already unlocked. I use my HTC One Max from Verizon in China on the China Mobile network, I have also used it in Mongolia on their MobiCom network and in Thailand (I can't remember the name of that network). I also had a Straight Talk sim that has been deactivated and it is the ATT sim from Straight Talk and it lets me dial out and says the card has been deactivated meaning it works also. The HTC One Max and maybe the HTC One and the then iPhone 5 (from Verizon only I think) and newer are about the only true global phones on the market that are smart phone these days unless you go back to some older models. I was very upset that the new Samsung phones where not global because the Galaxy S3 international version was but they don't make an international version for the newer ones.

When you check the specs on the phone make sure you are checking the specs on the Verizon version. On the HTC One Max there where 2 or 3 different versions so if it says it works with the UKs 4G you are probably not looking at the Verizon version. With the Verizon version the only 4G you will get is in America, the GSM network is where you will connect in other countries.

I don't know if I can post links but I will try. This link is to a Wiki page that has most all of the worlds wireless networks broken down by country.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mobile_network_operators_of_the_Asia_Pacific_region

(Well that link is to the Asian Pacific Region but you can get to other regions from that page.

To me it is crucial information when I am buying a phone because my work takes me EVERYWHERE in the world.

0 Likes
Babush

thanks for all the info. that really helped. I'll prolly be going for this phone then

0 Likes
pirata994

Duplicate post - please see:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/1066116#1066116

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes