Is There A Difference Between The 4G Connection When Using The Phone And The Hotspot?
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since the last update to MR2, I have been having problems with my 4G connection when tethered to my laptop at work. At first, I thought it was a problem with 4G in general, but it seems to be a problem mainly when tethered to my laptop. I never had much of a  problem keeping my 4G connection at work until after the last update. When I'm tethered to my laptop using the LTE/CDMA setting that was built into the last MR2 upgrade, the 4G signal will drop to 3G. If I disconnect the hotspot and use my phone, it stays on 4G and doesn't drop to 3G, but when I turn the hotspot back on and use the LTE/CDMA setting, I drop 4G and go into 3G. If I dial *#*#4636#*#*/Phone information and set it at LTE mode, I can get a 4G connection when tethered about 85 to 90% of the time with occasional drops to 1X, but changing back to LTE/CDMA, immediately drops me back to 3G. Using the network switch that was built into the last MR2 upgrade doesn't give me the option to use LTE mode, so if I use LTE/CDMA, I'm stuck in 3G.

Right now, I'm just waiting for the official Gingerbread update and hoping it fixes the problem. I know there are leaked versions, but I prefer to wait for the official release.

Is any one else having this problem or have any suggestions? I've tried resetting the phone with no success and I really don't want to exchange it for a CLN replacement because I've had no problems with it until the last update, this is the only problem I'm having and my phone's in excellent condition.

0 Likes
Re: Is There A Difference Between The 4G Connection When Using The Phone And The Hotspot?
AZSALUKI
Legend

i'm not familiar, as i don't tether. however, the "LTE OnOff" app (in the market) allows you to easily force it to LTE only mode. it may be worth a try?

0 Likes
Re: Is There A Difference Between The 4G Connection When Using The Phone And The Hotspot?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The LTE OnOff application is mainly a shortcut to the *#*#4636#*#* (Info menu) and selecting the Phone Information option.

However LTE OnOff is faster than using the Dialer.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

This seems to be a radio issue and all I can say is that if they use the recent leaked radios with GB this should resolve this issue for you.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I was pretty sure that LTE OnOff would come up. I've always used LTE OnOff, but since Verizon has told us to uninstall any 3rd party apps like LTE since they included their own switch with the last update, I uninstalled it and used the *#*#4636#*#* method to hopefully keep one of their techs from telling me to uninstall it and to show that the LTE app has nothing to do with the problem and is not conflicting with theirs. As Ann said, it's just a shortcut and the switch that Verizon included in the last update just doesn't give you the option to use LTE mode.

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hi everyone! The community has done yet another fine job of providing feedback for this issue, and I thank you all!

Hey pat3332! I'd love to help you capture and maintain the 4G speeds you expect with your Mobile Broadband Connect service! I presume that the 3G and 4G signal type readings you're getting are though VZ Access Manager. If so, I have a couple of recommendations to start with. First, I would like for you to check your actual upload and download speeds while connected. What we want to do is confirm that the readings you're getting from VZ Access Manager are accurate. You can speed check your connection using several different free services, but I personally prefer speedtest.net. 

Please let me know the results. Thanks!

0 Likes
DionM_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello again! Allow me to apologize. Disregard my comment about VZ Access Manager, please! I still recommend the speed test, though. Thanks for your understanding!

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hi Dion, thanks for the reply. Sorry, I've been installing a new door and just now saw it.

I have speedtest on my phone and use it to check the speed occasionally, but I haven't checked it when using the hotspot at work, because when I can get a 4G connection, the speeds seem about normal, or at least what I'm use to. The same with the 3G speeds. My 3G speeds have always been impressively fast when compared to the 3G I had with my previous carrier, but I paid for a 4G phone and the unlimited hotspot, so I'd like to be able to get the same stable 4G connection I had before the update.

My problem is that since the last update, I can't get a steady 4G connection when tethered to my laptop at work using the network switch that was built into the last update. If I use LTE/CDMA, it goes into 3G and stays there. If I go into the network settings using the *#*#4636#*#*/Phone Info and set it for LTE mode, I can again get 4G fairly steadily, but that isn't an option with the new built in network switch. I also used Christina's suggestion to use ##778 to go into Modem settings and change Rev. A to Enable and that also seemed to help. For some reason, I can get a good stable 4G conection on my phone when not using the hotspot, but not when I have the hotspot turned on.

Since I'm on vacation for a week and I don't use my hotspot when I'm home, I won't have a chance to check the speed until I go back to work in about a week, but my main problem has been the inability to maintain the stable 4G connection when using my hotspot that I had before the update. Hopefully the upcoming Gingerbread update will fix some of those issues.

Thanks again for your response.

0 Likes