Is the Thunderbolt a ...
fire_mike

I currently have AT&T, and I am going to switch service to either VZW or TMO.  I have been eyeballing the Tbolt, and I thought it was going to be the phone for me.  Since I have been reading about all the issues on here, it sounds like the phone is more of a {word filter avoidance} than a good phone.  Is it that the only people on here are the ones that have problems, or is the Tbolt really that screwed up?

I have also thought about the iPhone 4, but I was hoping to get on the 4G bandwagon.

0 Likes
Re: Is the Thunderbolt a ...
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

You'll only see the negatives on here. VERY few people will actually post to say they like their phone (and the ones that do are the frequent posters on here) Don't be put off by the number of complaints on here, because for every bad post there are thousands of people who don't have any issues with their phone.

0 Likes
fire_mike

After looking through the iPhone forum, I was kinda getting that impression.  I think I'll just cruise by the Verizon store and start fingering the phones to see what I like.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

Not to sway you to a competitor on VZW's board, but have you considered the HTC Sensation 4G from T-Mobile?

The Thunderbolt will be much faster with data because VZW's LTE is far faster than T-Mobile's HSPA+ data speeds.  However, if T-Mobile has good coverage where you are, it is far cheaper than VZW.  Keep in mind that there is a proposed buyout of T-Mobile by at&t, so if you go that route, you could end up back as an at&t customer in less than a year.

0 Likes
Strikeforce97

As posted, their are many people who are quite happy with their phone who do not post. 

Having said that, don't buy the phone and then post how angry you are because "XXXX Feature" does not work properly given the many post on this site pointing out some of the current issues the phone is experiencing.  Consider these posts as warnings.  They may not apply to you and you may get a phone that is trouble free but there is a chance you could get a phone with issues. These issues are real. 

I believe HTC and Verizon are aware of these problems and are working to correct these issues accordingly.

As for people who post questions and comments, most probably do so because a: they are frustrated and b: because they are looking for help.  I have several problems with my Tbolt but I have not posted because the issues seem to be well covered by others.  I am waiting and hoping that the upcoming patch will fix my issues.  I know it's a long shot but I really like the phone. 

If the patch doesn't fix the problems, then I intend to "take it on the chin" and pay the early termination fee and put an end to this.  I refuse to pay for two years of service on a phone that does not work properly.  There are other remedies I'm sure but I just need a phone that works.  Too many times when I get home, I can't connect to the internet or one second I have multiple bars showing a 4g signal and not moving the phone and leaving it on my desk, I watch the signal drop to 3g, then to 1x then to nothing, then to "you need to be connected ....blah, blah, blah" all while doing absolutely nothing in the space of 2 minutes. 

Also, I'm getting complaints about sound quality when talking to others on the phone (I believe that to be subjective so I will give the Tbolt a pass on that).  The thing that is really starting to annoy me is (I've had the phone for 2 months) it's dropping my calls!!!!  I'm in NYC and if there are not enough cell towers to handle and switch the calls then I don't know where there is!!!!  Prior to Verizon, I had the Iphone on AT&T and that thing dropped calls like it was a competitive sport.  No less than 5 calls dropped when traveling from Manhattan to NJ.  Forget about driving near the UN Building, that's an automatic call drop.  What, driving by the airport - pick one (JFK, Newark Liberty, LaGuardia) AUTOMATIC call drop.  After putting up with that for far too long, I decided to try Verizon and thought why not try the flagship phone!!!!  Figured I'd prove to the world that I wasn't an I-zombie.  With that in mind I said hello Android!!!!  There are many forums that compare the two but again, I just need a phone that works as advertised and I know so many people who swear by Android so I figured alright, now is the time to open myself up to new possibilities. 

Overall, it's frustrating because I really like the phone but as I said earlier, I need it to work all of the time. 

The other thing to consider is the battery.  The battery issue reminds me of the Iphone when it first came out several years ago.  People complained and Apple got their act together and future Iphones improved the battery life to where it is today.  I suspect the same will happen with the Android phones.  As more people buy them, more money will be invested on improving battery life while allowing us tech geeks to leave all the goodies turned on.  I know the battery life is delicate but choose to leave the apps and widgets turned on because quite frankly, it's one of the reasons why I bought the phone.  Yes I want this gadget turned on and that widget turned on, etc.   If I wanted a phone with all the fun features turned off, then I would have gotten a "dumb" phone.  To compensate for the battery and its rather short charge time, I keep a second battery nearby and have chargers where I need them. 

All in all, you have to weigh the pros and cons.  Alternatively, you could just purchase the phone and use it as much as possible in the 14-day window and make an informed decision on your own.  It's a tough call.  I read some of these posts and feel bad for many of the posters because the issues they are having are pretty major.  I truly hope whenever the patch comes out, it fixes the many issues.  There are far too many of us who really like this phone and wish to post updates on how it works as designed and recommend it to all who would listen.

Good luck.

0 Likes
fire_mike

The Sensation is the other phone I am considering.  I know T-Mobile is far cheaper than VZW, but if I go Verizon, I'll be getting on a family plan with someone I know - it would make the two services cost about the same that way.  TMO has great voice coverage here, but they only have edge for data.  VZW on the other hand does have 3G all over the place where I live, so that is another factor.  I am going to be with the phone (whichever I chose) for two years, so I'm almost to the point of wanting the best phone, and then I'll deal with the service I get (as long as it is not as horrible as my current AT&T).

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

It sounds like VZW would be the choice for you, then.  Check out the Thunderbolt and the Droid charge.  I also second the suggestion to use your phone as much as possible in the first 14 days to see if it works as you need it to work.  If your switch does not have to happen right now, the Droid Bionic (or whatever it will be called) is coming "soon". 

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

fire_mike wrote:

The Sensation is the other phone I am considering.  I know T-Mobile is far cheaper than VZW, but if I go Verizon, I'll be getting on a family plan with someone I know - it would make the two services cost about the same that way.  TMO has great voice coverage here, but they only have edge for data.  VZW on the other hand does have 3G all over the place where I live, so that is another factor.  I am going to be with the phone (whichever I chose) for two years, so I'm almost to the point of wanting the best phone, and then I'll deal with the service I get (as long as it is not as horrible as my current AT&T).

If you're going to be added on to a family plan if you go with Verizon, I would definitely go this route. This would be MUCH cheaper than starting your own account anywhere. If you sign up before July 7th (when the tiered data plans take effect) you'll only be paying about $40/month

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Exactly. I've never had any problems with mine and it's unrooted and has the last update on it. I believe there are probably more, like myself with no problems than there are people with problems, but it's just that people who are having problems are more vocal and want something done. I don't need anything fixed. I occasionally post on one forum or another about not having any problems, but with most others complaining, I feel like I'm rubbing it in.

In spite of the reported problems, I would still recommend taking the chance just to get in on the unlimited data plan. If you're one of the unlucky ones who gets a phone that does have problems, they will get fixed and you'll still have the unlimited data plan

If you live in a 4G area, the speed is great and I also needed a hotspot to tether my laptop to in order to use the internet at work. I left AT&T after 10 years because of the lack of coverage and 4G. With Verizon and the TBolt, I got great coverage, a smartphone, a wireless modem and 4g speed all in one device.

The TBolt does everything I want.

0 Likes
fire_mike

I was in a Verizon store today, and I got a brief chance to play with the Thunderbolt, and the Charge.  The screen brightness and color is far better on the charge, but it almost seemed a bit over saturated.  The screen on the T-bolt was very clear and crisp looking, but it was far more muted with it's colors.  I need to hurry up and decide so I can get on the unlimited data before the July 7 change.  Grr, such a tough decision.  

0 Likes