Just lost ALL my SMS/MMS
nycgeek

Anyone had the HTC Thunderbolt power on and *poof* have all SMS/MMS messages gone??? Verizon said there were no service issues and I did *not* have the SMS Backup app on my phone.

Fixes or suggestions befor I start screaming bloody murder?

0 Likes
Re: Just lost ALL my SMS/MMS
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
That's a known issue call tech support. A friend of mine had that happen. I don't know a fix. I will post more info when I have something.
0 Likes
nycgeek

Thanks for the response!

I did call tech support, went to Tier-2 support who said that they've never heard of the problem.

They instructed me to take the battery out and put it back in. Didn't work. They then said that I could return the phone to factory settings. But, because they don't store SMS in the network this was unlikely to work. Before I go that route I want to see if there are other solutions.

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Maybe there's something wrong with where and how it stores it. Ohhh yeah the software update was suppose to fix it so when it came out the known issue the list decreased because its solved with update. They go into a wrong place. Its a thought but I remember someone telling me that. I don't know if that's what happened to u. Do a factory reset it cures minor glitches not just about network. If after that get replacement if u have insurance u get quicker shipping 1 day. No insurance then slower unless they do an exception. New policy I heard.
0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I am almost sure... I think I read that.
0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

That would be a bug in the Android OS as a whole.  Look at any android device forum and I'd almost guarantee there are similar complaints here and there.  Not sure what the proper combination of factors required for it to happen are but it seems to plague some people moreso than others.  I've yet to have a mass deletion on any of the 3 Android devices that I've had over the past year and a half.  

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I'm just saying I think that was a repair in new software update but obviously that update didnt fix everything.
0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

PJNC284 wrote:

That would be a bug in the Android OS as a whole.  Look at any android device forum and I'd almost guarantee there are similar complaints here and there.  Not sure what the proper combination of factors required for it to happen are but it seems to plague some people moreso than others.  I've yet to have a mass deletion on any of the 3 Android devices that I've had over the past year and a half.  

Actually I have read over a number of forums and this was the first I heard of messages being deleted....  Being send twice or not at all maybe but not deleting them...   My Droid X hasnt experiance this issue so I wouldnt think the OS is the issue, a number of users on other forums reported using Handcent application tho and it was suggested to look at that and this sounds like a possible nature of issue.

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

HTC tech support told me I needed a replacement device because of this issue. They said " the memory module is having an issue" . Whatever that means and not that I believe it but I don't use handcent so don't be quick to blame it. 

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Wildman wrote:

Actually I have read over a number of forums and this was the first I heard of messages being deleted.... 

orly?  http://tinyurl.com/3l7dazu  It's been a problem as far back as the Eris and OG Droid and there's a bug report in google's own bug check system.  http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=5669.  I use Handcent and have about 3000 messages and have yet to have the issue on the OG Droid, Fascinate or Thunderbolt.  Some Handcent users have had the issue also so there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it and it obviously isn't at the top of Google's priority list if it hasn't been fixed in ~2yrs

0 Likes