Losing Data Connection Since GB Update
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't seen many posts about this, but I've been having a lot more trouble with my data connection than I did before the update. It doesn't just drop from 4G to 3G, or 1x, it just goes away. I can do the usual tricks, turn Mobile connection off and on, go to Airplane mode and usually get it to restart, but sometimes the only thing that works is to restart the phone. Even after I get it back, I eventually lose the data connection again and have to start jumping through hoops again to get it back. This is happening in places where I don't usually have any problems. I thought it might be Verizon working on the network in this area, but it started right after the update.

Anyone else having problems with the data connection since the update?

0 Likes
Re: Losing Data Connection Since GB Update
Wildman
Legend

There was a post of Verizon loosing data connection because of issues with the 3G towers, sounds like you may be experiancing the same issue I reported...   Alos check Settings / Wireless and Network / Mobile Network / Enable always on mobile data...  Try disabling and reboot and see if this helps, if not then activate the option again..  I have had this work for me in the past, it almost seems that the command was backwards at times.

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

I saw the post about the 3G towers, but I wasn't sure if that would also cause the overall data connection to drop out. I always have Enable always-on mobile data on. I'll try disabling it and rebooting to see that helps. Thanks.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
That's the issue that happens with the data issue, it made connection completely drop.

You can also try disabling the power manager under Settings / Power / Enable Power Manager... Uncheck..
0 Likes
tattooedchick
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm still having random issues with it too.  The other day the weather app got stuck on a daytime temp and it was night and dark out side.  The weather app said it was sunny and hot.  I was in the Verizon store while it was happening and the Verizon rep couldn't even fix the issue.  I think I'm going to hold out for the new HTC Vigor or whatever its going to be called.  Since GB is on it from the start, it might run better.

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've started to post something about four times, but every time I started, my TBolt would change and do something different and occasionally just odd. However, after several restarts since I got the OTA early Friday morning, I've had a steady, stable 4G connection since Sunday. That includes being tethered to my laptop at work where it usually goes from 4G to 3G fairly regularly.

Maybe Verizon was working on the network at the same time as the OTA, but this would make the second strange coincidence that's happened to me during an OTA release and I'm not much of a believer in coincidence to start with. I'm beginning to think that the best thing to do after an OTA is to give the phone several restarts over 2 to 3 days to see if the initial problems work themselves out. Since I seldom get voice mails and don't care about the voice mail notification that much, I'm a litle reluctant to download their next update of the update. It seems like every time they fix one thing, it breaks something else.

Wildman, thanks for the suggestions, but none of them seemed to make much difference and I'm back to my original settings. I never check the power saver boxes since I prefer to make all of those settings manually and I don't like using app's to do things I can do myself.

tattooedchick, if you don't have the TBolt, I'd also hold out for the Vigor. Right now however, my TBolt is doing everything I need and since the Gingerbread update, it seems to be even faster than it was and it was already pretty quick. For me, it wouldn't be worth paying the ETF and possibly losing my unlimited data to get it and by the time my renewal date comes up there will be something better. Any Android phone you get is going to have it's own problems. That can't be helped when there are so many different hardware configurations using the same OS.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

My 4G speed seems to be getting progressivly slower. I find myself reselecting the bookmark of the site I want to go to to get it unstuck loading the page.

0 Likes
PowerUp
I have this problem every since I got my 4g samsung charge phone even changed it out once. Every time I have called into verzion they tell me they have not heard of this what's up Verzion. It's happening to more then one make of phone so what you going to do!?
0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

PowerUp wrote:
I have this problem every since I got my 4g samsung charge phone even changed it out once. Every time I have called into verzion they tell me they have not heard of this what's up Verzion. It's happening to more then one make of phone so what you going to do!?

Welcome to the forums...... Don't know if you were just cruising different forums but you posted to the HTC Thunderbolt.

No problem if you wanted to post here,  just wanted you to know it was in this one if you meant it to be posted in the Droid Charge one. 

0 Likes
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

tattooedchick wrote:

I'm still having random issues with it too.  The other day the weather app got stuck on a daytime temp and it was night and dark out side.  The weather app said it was sunny and hot.  I was in the Verizon store while it was happening and the Verizon rep couldn't even fix the issue.  I think I'm going to hold out for the new HTC Vigor or whatever its going to be called.  Since GB is on it from the start, it might run better.

Thanks for posting tattooedchick!

So sorry you are experiencing issues with  your HTC Thunderbolt!  I am happy to assist.

Have you tried restarting your Thunderbolt?  This would allow the device to close any running applications or programs, and allow the device to reestablish a 4G connection.  Instructions for the restart/soft reset:  If the display is off, press the POWER button to turn it back on.  Unlock your phone if the Lock screen is displayed.  Press and hold the POWER button, and then tap Restart.  When asked to confirm, tap Restart.

I trust I have addressed your concerns.

0 Likes