Re: Manage contacts
AZSALUKI
Legend

do what pjnc suggested. it sounds like a hassle, but it's really not too bad. something to note though. you can edit your contacts on a pc through your "my verizon" account if you have been using verizon's backup assistant in the past. if this is the case, then your contacts are in your my verizon account. it's really up to you which place you would like to manage your contacts. the only thing is that you can't really use both. i believe that when you add a contact to your phone, you can either add it to your google contacts or phone contacts (which i think is what backup assistant pulls from). adding or editing a number on the device will not add it to bith, unless you manually go into each list of contacts. i mention this because when i got my first android i exported the phone contacts and then imported them to my google account. i assumed i was working with the same list of contacts for quite a while after this. however, i realized at some point that when i was adding contacts on the phone, it was only adding to one of the lists (i think i was adding to google?). so while i sync with google and used backup assistant.....one of my lists is incomplete.

i only mention this because i'm a neat freak and it bothers me to know that i now have 2 sets of contacts that aren't the same, but i haven't had time to go through and find out which newer contacts have been added to google, but not my verizon. it is likely much easier to use one or the other (fyi....i also now have almost all contacts show up twice on my phone......on with dashes "-" between numbers, and one set without.).

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for all the replies.  I did figure out how to get my contacts into Gmail...  I copied them to a file on the SD, then connected the phone to computer, and imported the contacts into Gmail.  That part worked.  I can manipulate the individual contacts in Gmail on my PC and save the changes.  However, even after going to accounts and sync on the Tbolt, and making sure Gmail and contacts are checked and syncing everything, the contact on the Tbolt is unchanged and the (newly edited) contact in Gmail remains as I edited it.

What I'm looking for is an easy way to manipulate my cellphone contacts by using my PC, rather than having to carefully use my thumbnail to hit the right letters on the Tbolt screen.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

go to "people" then hit menu. select view. then check the box for google only. this should show your google contacts only and should show them as updated since the changes you made. this is where it can be confusing because depending on what you check in here, you can duplicate lists (show your my verizon and google contacts).

update. it doesn't look like it will duplicate the lists in your people app.....but i do still get 2 of a contact showing up when i begin to type a name to call or message.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

That last post is probably as close to a solution as I'm likely to get.  I can set the view to the Google account, and manipulate the contacts in my Gmail from my PC.  Still not what I wanted, which was to manipulate the cellphone's list from my PC.  Thanks to all the posters.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

chuckwilmot wrote:

That last post is probably as close to a solution as I'm likely to get.  I can set the view to the Google account, and manipulate the contacts in my Gmail from my PC.  Still not what I wanted, which was to manipulate the cellphone's list from my PC.  Thanks to all the posters.

if you want to manipulate the cell phone's list (not google) then sync it to your "my verizon" account, using backup assistant and you can do the same thing....from the pc, make changes in your contacts through your my verizon account. but this is what i was saying earlier.....choose one or the other to always use. otherwise sometimes you will update google and sometimes you will update the phone's contacts.

0 Likes
chuckwilmot
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon backup works OK, but it still won't push all of my changes to the phone and discard info that's on the phone I don't want.  I've tried HTC Sync and sync it with my PC's Outlook contacts, and I guess that's about as good as it's going to get for me.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

chuckwilmot wrote:

Verizon backup works OK, but it still won't push all of my changes to the phone and discard info that's on the phone I don't want.  I've tried HTC Sync and sync it with my PC's Outlook contacts, and I guess that's about as good as it's going to get for me.

Here is a simple summary to import to Google....

1. Log into Verizon Backup Assistant
2. Click on Export to CSV
3. Save File as (or Rename to) Contacts (it should already be converted to CSV so including .csv is redundant)
4. Log into Gmail/Google Voice
5. Click on Contacts
6. Click on Import
7. Browse for the Contacts (.csv) file
8. Click Import

0 Likes
Lil_Fiyah

try going to Google contacts. Ive found that alot of my phone contacts wont show up in gmails. go to:

contacts.google.com

It will let you add and change certain info or delete and even restore deleted contacts. It WILL NOT lets you change things in contacrts that HTC added like Facebook or Twitter contacts in connected to your contacts; they can only be changed from your phone. If you just want to change basic info this is the site to use as long as you have you phone syncing the contacts with Google.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I havent had any issues editing any contacts on Google.com and as for the data not being synced, I must be lucky because all my contacts are syncing perfectly..

0 Likes
Lil_Fiyah

So did that solution work?

0 Likes