Mobile Hotspot Keeps Cutting Out (3G)
Coder_J_Cronin

For starters, I am not in a 4G area. Most places I go have excellent 3G service, so reception is hardly ever an issue.

One feature I love it the Mobile Hotspot; I do a lot of work on my laptop but wireless (or rather, trusted wireless) isn't always available. Right after I got the phone, I set up the Mobile Hotspot (WPA2 with a complicated passcode) and thought I would be set...

However, at random, the connection will die. The phone will still be able to connect to the internet, check e-mail, shop the marketplace but the computer will show the page timing out. If I hook the phone up and use the USB mode to share the wireless network it will work wonderfully (almost never cut out). At one point, I even had the phone lose the mobile network (had to turn off phone, pull battery, put it back to together).

I don't think it's my laptop, as I tried a friend's laptop as well as two iPod touches and found the same results. I heard this was a common issue for Droid 2/X users, I was hoping it was fixed by the time TB was released.

0 Likes
Re: Mobile Hotspot Keeps Cutting Out (3G)
klydefrogg
Enthusiast - Level 1

Just wanted to bump this... I'm having the same sort of issues. After about 10-15 minutes of use, the hotspot notifier will cycle between "hotspot active" and "1 users connected". The 3G icon also goes in and out. Turning off the hotspot occasionally fixes it, but usually i have to reboot the phone.

Similar things happen with USB tethering, even tried [Edited to comply with Terms of Service] and similar things happen with the 3G icon.

0 Likes
toddlerCO
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same thing happening here in non-4G area.

Also happened with a 4G connection when I was in Minneapolis and Denver last week.

0 Likes
jn_nc

Just wanted to note that this happens when Rev.A is set to "Enable" or "eHRPD". That seems to have no effect on the hotspot issue.

0 Likes
scottl21
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same issue with my phone.  I am in 3G area with great coverage but when I try to connect any of my laptops my 3G goes away, turns to 1X,  and I have to do a battery pull to get it back.  The laptop shows as connected but I am never able to get any internet access on any of my laptops.  I took my phone to the store and the employee turned on my mobile hotspot and was able to connect his android phone to mine and access internet, but when I went home and tried again I still could not access any internet.  Good thing this feature is free until may but with these results I sure won't be paying for it when the promotion ends.

0 Likes
jn_nc

called tech support regarding the issue. They tried resetting the data connection with no success. Reset the phone to factory settings with no success. Next step is a new phone.

0 Likes
jn_nc

new phone did not fix the problem. they've opened a trouble ticket for the network techs to figure it out. something tells me this isn't going to be resolved anytime soon.

0 Likes
turbodls1ta

Had the same issue with my Thunderbolt, then my Razr, and now my Galaxy Note 2.  The problem is not the phone, its Verizon's crap service.  Ive taken it to every store in the area, and aside from some of them trying to get me to sign up for separate hotspot modem, none of them were any help.  I called VZWs customer service and they were no help either.  Once my contract is up, Im off to another carrier.

0 Likes