Re: Mobile Hotspot Promo $0 Disappeared
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

The latest broadand plan rates are published on the web site.   Users of  the HTC Thunderbolt do get a deal in that the device itself has a unlimited data plan.  Offering an unlimited data plan (esp. 4G speed) that alloweds wi-fi tethering (hotspot) would be unfair to all other users of 4G devices who pay about $10 per GB monthly.   Verizon now offers the hotspot feature for hotspot capable phones for an extra fee -   the feature is called    Mobile Broadband connect .    

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobilebroadband/?page=plans

I think Verizon needs to consider a more flexible approach based on data usage,  not the device used.   Clearly,  unlimited data capability allowing simultaneous use by multiple devices (e.g. via wi-fi)  would a financial problem for Verizon,  not to mention set up some pretty weird expectations.   So, it's got to be limted either by amount of data or number of simultaneous defices.  I prefer the data limitation method so I can have as many devices as I need running at the same time. 

http://support.vzw.com/clc/faqs/VZAccess/BroadbandAccess Connect.html

General Information  What is Mobile Broadband Connect?

1. Mobile Broadband Connect is a product offering from Verizon Wireless that allows you to use your device/handset as a modem if you subscribe to a qualifying data and/or calling plan. By using the adaptor cable that comes with the purchase of the appropriate mobile office kit, a connection can be made from your laptop computer to your Mobile Broadband Connect capable device. By linking your laptop to your Mobile Broadband Connect enabled device, you can establish a broadband connection anywhere within our Mobile Broadband Rate and Coverage Area. When you are outside this area, your laptop will connect using NationalAccess anywhere within the Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area. If you have a BlackBerry® device or PDA/Smartphone, you also can roam on the Extended National Enhanced Services Rate and Coverage Area. By using Mobile Broadband, you can transfer files, securely access corporate email and applications - even data-intensive ones - and download short video clips, audio files and Web graphics. Having a true desktop-like experience while out of the office will help you stay as productive and efficient as ever.

--------------------------

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Vl-600 r u jealous? We know what the Hotspot is but we are questioning why the VZW rep who responded gave us wrong facts. We are not qualified for 4g usb plan but she referenced this kind of thing. Why don't they have the plan ready for the 16th already. That's 7 days a way.

Unfair or not we were offered it and should keep it if it is still there. The unlimited reg data plan we are grandfathered into unless we remove it and they change the plan but so far it is normal for all 4g and non 4g phones. For all of the troubles we desirve it. Hotspot we know that it will change soon but until then we should keep it. Hotspot will not be the price listed like 4g usb because we can't make calls with it on. Min it will be 2g for $20. Rumor we might keep unlimited Hotspot later for little more then 20 tech support heard rumor and told me. Not right now but months down road so we might be $20 for 2 in a few but later it might change again.
0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
I just got a certified like new thunderbolt and on the receipt it says the promotion comes with it. So anyone who thinks there going to lose it there not.
0 Likes
VL600_Boston
Contributor - Level 1

Gina,  Noope I'm not jealous,  I like my  4G modem.  It's so tiny and light.    :smileytongue:    And I can tether any number of devices to it through my netbook with free hotspot software.     

But FYI,   there is no "grandfathering"  in any Verizon contract.  It's simply a biz practice that many providers do - they maintain the terms of a contract after the contract has expired.   Even duing the contract, they have the right to change several parameters of your plan - e.g. the speed of data downloads is not guarenteed in any way.  So you thay can limit you if you go above a certain amount of data and it may be hard to notice.    It's not even clear if the promo lasted all the way through the contract. 

In any case,  I agree that VZW employees should know their product -  but you should never consider what the say either definitive or binding.    It has to be in writing.  Ultimately, they are trying to sell you on things you may not want or need.   Caveat Emptor.   Of course,  if you feel you were mislead,  you should call for a credit on your bill,  and also file a complaint with the FCC consumer division if it's serious enough.   

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
There is on features and plans if u don't change or remove ur phone from it. Some people have many plans from long time ago. This Hotspot would be grandfather except for the fact that they are telling u its going to be removed. I agree with u on most. I expect the unexpected that's why I triple check my info giving and being givin 2 me. I have a 5gig teathering plan that is not available on the incredible anymore. Now its only 2 for $20 Hotspot/teathering. I save money with the 5gig because u get 5 for 80 that's including average fees if u do 2 for 20. $20 pre gig over the 2. I have the thunderbolt to but that was to show u that there is the chance to be grandfather into a plan. Palm is grandfathered into free 5 gigs hotspot its been free since u bought the phone unless u go over then there will be a charge. There are instances it can be possible.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Thanks for the vivid discussion about our 4G tethering.  Please note, the promotion for the mobile hotspot on the Thunderbolt has been extended until 6/15/11.  If you want to use the service after the promotion has expired, steps will be communicated to you, but it will not just sign you up for the feature at cost. 

I hope this clears up any questions.  

0 Likes